Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A few for C&C please

• 02-03-2009 12:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

U13 match from Saturday. C&C Welcome

3318008098_96239458ed.jpg

3318007142_bf5e5026f6.jpg

3317178471_6c717cbd28.jpg

Two from a Senior match last weekend.

3317169497_3a0d1dcaa3.jpg

3317168139_07a5963ea4.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Some nice images there.

One thing though, you seem to be shooting with a fairly open aperture.

#1 shot at f/7.1
    #2 at f/7.1
    #3 at f/7.1
    #4 at f/5
    #5 at f/5.6

Now, you really should be shooting f/4 or greater (f/2.8 if you can). This will give you more background blur which should enhance the action in the images.

Otherwise, the composition and exposure is very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Very good shots.
    Favourites would be 1, 4 and 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

love Shot 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Paulw wrote: »
    Some nice images there.

#1 shot at f/7.1
    #2 at f/7.1
    #3 at f/7.1
    #4 at f/5
    #5 at f/5.6

Now, you really should be shooting f/4 or greater (f/2.8 if you can). This will give you more background blur which should enhance the action in the images.

Sorry, total amateur here. How can you tell exactly what the aperture settings were just by looking at the picture?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Sorry, total amateur here. How can you tell exactly what the aperture settings were just by looking at the picture?

He's magic dontcha know ? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

well, Paul is pretty good at what he does, its just this sort of thing which separates the Pros from the Amateurs dontcha know !
    IE, I'd be able to narrow it down to maybe f/7 +/- 1 stop. Note how Paul is able to nail it down to 1/10th of a stop without difficulty.
    Also ... google for 'exif' :D

Aside from magic, it was clear that a lot of the background was still clear and in focus. So, the images were shot at larger apertures. That would mean, generally, greater than f/5

Then I went and checked the images on FlickR, to see the EXIF and see the exact aperture used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

Paulw wrote: »
    Some nice images there.

#1 shot at f/7.1
    #2 at f/7.1
    #3 at f/7.1
    #4 at f/5
    #5 at f/5.6

Cheers Paul, I'll work on that hopefully this weekend. So can I ask what settings you would normally shoot on? AV or TV, iso etc ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Shoot using TV mode, spot metering and the ISO is depending on the light etc. Normally an ISO which gives you a shutter speed of minimum 1/500 would do you. In bright daylight you can get ISO 100 and shutter speed of 1/2000 and faster if needed.

As Ken says.

I'd normally start with Tv (Shutter Priority), and start with a slowest shutter speed of 1/400. Now, on a bright sunny day, I'd set the ISO to 100 and see what I get.

On Sunday, I was shooting in the local park. Sunny enough day - ISO 100, f/2.8 and getting a shutter speed of between 1/1000 and 1/2000.

Images

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

What camera and Lens where you using ?

nice pics

NeVeR wrote: »
    What camera and Lens where you using ?

nice pics

Only my second outing with my 40d, haven't got to grips with it yet. Had a 400d. This is like a lexus over a punto.

Just managed to get the handbrake off so far !!!
    Canon 70 to 300 is f4 lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Balfey1972 wrote: »
    Only my second outing with my 40d, haven't got to grips with it yet. Had a 400d. This is like a lexus over a punto.

Just managed to get the handbrake off so far !!!
    Canon 70 to 300 is f4 lens.

:(:( I have a 400D :(:(

NeVeR wrote: »
    :(:( I have a 400D :(:(

Nothing to be sad about. 400d stood me very well. Great camera for my into to photography. To be honest the lens is so important. the 70 to 300 is a super lens for me. take alot of photos for the local club. have got a few gems with it.

Next lens will be the sigma 70 to 200 f2.8. Still putting the pennies away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Good stuff Derek. # 4 my favourite. I wont even put up the mess I made with my 40d on Sat.:(:mad:

NeVeR, I also had 400d and it is a good camera and was great for for getting going. I also have 40d, think your man Balfey was in the shop when I got mne or I was there when he got his but either way its great. Like Balfey72 it is wirth putting by a few bob here and there to upgrade your gear. And look out for posts from some of the lads (and lassies)here. You will pick up great tips from the likes of Paul, Ken and the other experts who post and give constructive C & C :) 40d is great.

Advertisement