Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is my monitor broken?

• 02-03-2009 1:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Ok so a long thin blue line has been appearing on my monitor screen and is there constantly now. I tried to do a print screen and post it up here but the line dissapeared so then i presume its the monitor? Neway, here is a pic i took of it

DSC02109Large.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

is a flat panel display OR is a older CRT type

if it's a flat panel it may be the monitor, but check against a different computer

the picture is curved so if it's the CRT type then the problem is either drivers or video memory , To check for memory / drivers try at different resolutions - have a look at the setup / bios screen or the splash screens on startup

Print screen only shows what windows is sending to the video card, it won't show up any problems in the card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭fugazied

If it doesn't show up on a print screen, that indicates that your video card is outputting correctly. Before you rush out and get a new LCD monitor, just quickly check the lead for damage, but it does look like something wrong with your CRT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

It is an LCD screen. Whats strange now is that the line is gradually progressing up the screen and is at the top now. I am going to try and connect my laptop to it today and see what happens.

Tried to connect the laptop up to the monitor but it wouldnt work. however when i disconnected the LCD from the PC, the blue line remained on the black screen. So i presume i need a new LCD then?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if the line is there when no computer attached it's probably the screen

it could be heat related, instead of turning off, unplug from the mains overnight to see if helps

it's probably mechanical though
    tap the black plastic at the bottom of the screen gently

not quite sure what is going on since it's not a full line across the screen so not one of the the column / rows totally gone.

it's annoying but still usable
    you could set your desktop wallpaper to blue
    microsoft word has a setting for yellow writing on blue background

• Advertisement

Cheers for that. I did unplug it all of last night and it didnt make much of a difference.
    Ah well - sure its an excuse to get a new 22"!:D Cheers for the replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Brigantia

hi

my monitor is going black but the green light stays on, if i keep pressing the monitor button it comes on for about a second then goes black with the green light still on.
    i cleaned it, i defragmented it and i fixboot it, but its still noi even reset the factory settings on the monitor itself but its still not working.
    how can i fix it, when it won't stay on long enough for me to do anything with it.
    does this mean i need a new one, and its only about 5 years old.

its a dell 19" monitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Brigantia wrote: »
    hi

my monitor is going black but the green light stays on, if i keep pressing the monitor button it comes on for about a second then goes black with the green light still on.
    i cleaned it, i defragmented it and i fixboot it, but its still noi even reset the factory settings on the monitor itself but its still not working.
    how can i fix it, when it won't stay on long enough for me to do anything with it.
    does this mean i need a new one, and its only about 5 years old.

its a dell 19" monitor.
    If it's and LCD and it comes on for a second before fading to black it's the backlight thats gone. They can be replaced but on a 5 year old monitor it may not be worth the cost.

EDIT: I'm assuming the computer keeps running and its just the monitor that dies. Not 100% clear from your post as you say you defraged etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Brigantia

Daemonic wrote: »
    If it's and LCD and it comes on for a second before fading to black it's the backlight thats gone. They can be replaced but on a 5 year old monitor it may not be worth the cost.

EDIT: I'm assuming the computer keeps running and its just the monitor that dies. Not 100% clear from your post as you say you defraged etc.

yeah its just the monitor, everything else is working fine.

Advertisement