Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Secure and well insulated Hardwood front doors

• 02-03-2009 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi Folks, I am looking to replace our existing front door and frame with a hardwood front door and two windowed side panels, which is secure and well insulated. I have been looking online and have found various suppliers but a lot of them are uPVC or other artificial finished that are just not quite the finish I'm looking for.

I'm confused by this as every new development of houses or apartments seem to have the type of door I'm looking for so someone is selling them!

I have found some good hardwood doors (I'm looking for a relatively modern but very simple design) and have got reasonable quotes from them but the doors don't seem to have the multiple point locking system that is quite common now in newer homes. I was also not 100% satisfied that they will be very well insulated and that is part of our motivation for doing this.

Part of the problem is that I don't know the terms for all this stuff, so just may not be googling the right products or asking for the right things when I speak to suppliers.

If you can work out what I'm lookin for (!) can anyone help me?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

PM sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Wood is a natural insulation so not really an issue there. If you are getting windows in the frame they are usually double glazed toughened glass.

BTW a friend was telling me yesterday how she bought a lovely high security five point locking uPVC front door and some gang thug looking for a previous occupiant kicked it open with two kicks. Her brother is a Guard and says it's extreamly rare for a burglar to use the front door so don't get caught up with super duper ulta locking contraptions for your front door. Hope this helps

Also just put in a front door in my house Scandanavian Pine with cut glass panel each side and a bishops hat glass panel in the door with standard yale and a dead lock for €2300

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

endplate wrote: »
    Wood is a natural insulation so not really an issue there.

Afriad your wronf there endplate. The term insulator is relative. Compared to metal, wood is an insulator, but compared to modern materials in windows and doors its not. Insulated frames and doors are common now

Advertisement