Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phone socket wires

Options
  • 02-03-2009 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

hey, my broadband has been very bad for the last couple of months so i opened the phone socket to check the wires and noticed that theres 4 wires in the phone socket but only two are connected a blue one and white and blue one while an orange and orange and white one, does anyone know what these two are for, cheers.
    DSC00121.JPG

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 320 384 SN Margin (dB) 6.50 13.00 Line Attenuation (dB) 63.50 31.50

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭MickyJoe

Lousy looking stats !

The other pair are spare - leave them as is as they might be handy to have in the future (they'll probably never be used but always handy to have them available in case of cable damage etc - avoids unnecessary cable runs).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 320 384 SN Margin (dB) 6.50 13.00 Line Attenuation (dB) 63.50 31.50
    Your line attenuation is very high, basically there is a high resistance on the line. This can be for instance a very long line, or it can be a line filter on the modem line, or a line filter installed the wrong way, or a conventional phone without a line filter.
    It might be worth looking at the values once you've disconnect ALL OTHER EQUIPMENT from all other available sockets in your home. This might pinpoint a source of the problem. It might also be worth to connect a phone to the end where you have your DSL modem. If you can hardly hear the dial tone or the other party you've got some low & high frequency problem, such as a high resistance. If the phone is fine, but only DSL is affected its more likely a selective high frequency problem, such as filter, unfiltered phone somewhere else on the line.
    1. Check that your filters are not faulty.
    2. Check your filters are installed correctly.
    3. Its possible that an extension cable has become worn or has a break in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Biker Tommy

thanx lads, the broadband started given me trouble when eircom upgraded my line to 2meg, rang them today, they said to plug the modem into the phone socket directly without the filter and then ring them back from a mobile and than check the line, they said im not getting all the frequency on the line so an engineer will have to come out, dont know whats causing the high Line Attenuation i only live 200 meters from the exchange and i tried a new filter, modem and cables and no change.

Advertisement