Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bank robbery - question

• 02-03-2009 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭

so,

if my family was held at gunpoint and I had to go to a safe and bring the cash to a remote location...

why would I load my car to the hilt?

why would I just not bring €1 million?

or €500k ?

why would I load as much as my car would carry?

very curious....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

because you dont want your family to get shot perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

some people are very naive...

even Columbo would have made certain arrests by now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If a colleague of yours walked in with a polaroid of his family with gun pointed at them and asked you to help him get cash so that they'd be freed, would you stand around looking at the money wondering if there's enough there, or like any other decent and sane person would you just get every single bit of cash you can find (which is completely and utterly insured) and jam it into that car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

did they follow him to the bank?

if i had a gun to my head and my family were in danger of being killed i'd think twice about pissing off the guy with the gun :rolleyes:

Barname wrote: »

yes they certainly are, a quick flick through here will show you that some people will believe absolutely anything without proof

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    If a colleague of yours walked in with a polaroid of his family with gun pointed at them and asked you to help him get cash so that they'd be freed, would you stand around looking at the money wondering if there's enough there, or like any other decent and sane person would you just get every single bit of cash you can find (which is completely and utterly insured) and jam it into that car.

you dont get it do you?

who was to say how much cash was in the 'safe'

if I returned with €1 mill the Gang would be delighted, now if I was to return with a car full of cash then...

maybe I am on commision
    have a debt due to substance abuse...

perhaps there are other reasons.... but not the one that you are trying to sell me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

you dont get it do you?

if I returned with €1 mill the Gang would be delighted, now if I was to return with a car full of cash then...

maybe I am on commision
    have a debt due to substance abuse...

perhaps there are other reasons.... but not the one that you are trying to sell me...

You mean, say for example you turn up the cash, the gang aren't satisfied and kill your family.

Suppose for a moment it's your family, it's your wife, your child with a gun to the head, are you really going to risk trying to fob off the robbers with a smaller amount?

Accusing the guy of having a drug addiction or being a partner to a crime without a shred of evidence is more than a bit low, considering all he and his have been through.

Diogenes wrote: »
    Accusing the guy of having a drug addiction or being a partner to a crime without a shred of evidence is more than a bit low, considering all he and his have been through.

i know not of what you speak....

I am merely debating a theoretical situation

you dont get it do you?

Why in God's name would I try to protect the money? It's not my money, it's completely insured and all I give a **** about is my family. My family > all of the banks' monies in the world.

What if you arrive back with the €1 million and they go, "We know the safe has more than this, you're trying to pull one over on us....*BLAM*". You'd feel like a bit of a moron wouldn't you?

I'd take everything in the safe. I'd probably take anything in the office that looks expensive and isn't bolted down too.

seamus wrote: »
    Why in God's name would I try to protect the money? It's not my money, it's completely insured and all I give a **** about is my family. My family > all of the banks' monies in the world.

What if you arrive back with the €1 million and they go, "We know the safe has more than this, you're trying to pull one over on us....*BLAM*". You'd feel like a bit of a moron wouldn't you?

I'd take everything in the safe. I'd probably take anything in the office that looks expensive and isn't bolted down too.

follow the money, always follow the money

something smells and I aint at the fishmongers...

• Advertisement

I imagine there had to be a man on the inside who could be used to identify anyone who could possibly get access to that level of cash.

I would strongly doubt that the man himself was involved - plausible deniability and that. If the guy himself was involved, then it opens the real risk for the gang that they can be traced through him. However, if they simply find out who the best victim would be, then that eliminates that risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

You sound like McGarnagle from the Simpsons. Please tell me you are not in law inforcement?

Why take the chance when for all he knew they may have roughly known how much was there? Also the story would be reported that he hadn't given them all the money and you'd be afraid they would want to pay you back for screwing them over. I would have given them the banks stationary too, and whatever was in my pockets.

oh thats right, the gang slap one of your family members before you leave, rough one up, a cut needing stitches, that would be really authentic....

'here' they say, take a few pix with you of your 'loved one'

people sell their kidneys for cash, dont be surprised if someone was willing to be pistol whipped for cash...

jeeeeeezz it stinks....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

oh thats right, the gang slap one of your family members before you leave, rough one up, a cut needing stitches, that would be really authentic....

'here' they say, take a few pix with you of your 'loved one'

people sell their kidneys for cash, dont be surprised if someone was willing to be pistol whipped for cash...

jeeeeeezz it stinks....

Are you talking about an actual incident? Because if you're not why is this in CT?

in my original post I was thrashing out a CT

should I stop 'meating' it out?

Is it really a Ct when you can bend the story anyway you want to? People here have brought up very real and valid points yet you dismiss them?

I'd ask you a few questions:

• If it was you who was sent to the back would you only bring some of the cash back?
    - note that you'd be gambling that these people wouldnt know approax how much is there.
    - note also that if, as said above, it was reported the following day that you hadnt gievn all the cash they might be pissed off and come after you.

• Do you rate insured money above the lives of those closest to you?

• What reason would people have to suspect you were in on it?

• If you were in on it do you think people would notice a sudden boost in your quality of life, maybe that nice new car in your driveway?

6th wrote: »
    Is it really a Ct when you can bend the story anyway you want to? People here have brought up very real and valid points yet you dismiss them?

i agree with your post but this quote from you would describe most conspiracy theories :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

even Columbo would have made certain arrests by now...
    At this stage in the investigation, Columbo would only have finished questioning a suspect, be leaving the room and then turn around.

"Just, um, one more thing..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

There's no way that guy was involved, he is always going to be watched and any sign of sudden wealth on his part and he'd be done for.

Robbo wrote: »
    At this stage in the investigation, Columbo would only have finished questioning a suspect, be leaving the room and then turn around.

"Just, um, one more thing..."

thats why I referred to him, even he would have pulled my suspect in by now..... :pac:

(slow as he works)

• Advertisement

indough wrote: »
    i agree with your post but this quote from you would describe most conspiracy theories :)

But usually with CT based in real life you can argue points and make decissions based on actual information. With this we're basically playing around in one guys imaginary world :pac:

There's no way that guy was involved, he is always going to be watched and any sign of sudden wealth on his part and he'd be done for.

you cant account for peoples stupidity, they think they thought of that, that explains the pistol whiping / vase breaking / whatever

Now, it may be that a person owes a debt, to others for powder, a debt that could not be paid, so an alternate arrangement was agreed....

6th wrote: »
    But usually with CT based in real life you can argue points and make decissions based on actual information. With this we're basically playing around in one guys imaginary world :pac:

well I am trying to be polite, but I do think the light needs to be shone down this alleyway.....

well I am trying to be polite, but I do think the light needs to be shone down this alleyway.....

Then shine a light and dont piss about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

you cant account for peoples stupidity, they think they thought of that, that explains the pistol whiping / vase breaking / whatever

Now, it may be that a person owes a debt, to others for powder, a debt that could not be paid, so an alternate arrangement was agreed....

Alternating with what? Think you mean "alternative".

You should go to the cops with this information, I'm sure they haven't thought of any of this and are taking all the information at face value. Unless one of them is in on it too! Maybe I'm in on it, maybe you are!

amacachi wrote: »
    Alternating with what? Think you mean "alternative".

You should go to the cops with this information, I'm sure they haven't thought of any of this and are taking all the information at face value. Unless one of them is in on it too! Maybe I'm in on it, maybe you are!

alternate
    Verb
    B]-nating[/B], [B]-nated[/B
    1. to occur by turns
    2. to interchange regularly or in succession
    Adjective
    1. occurring by turns
    2. every second (one) of a series: alternate days
    3. being a second choice [Latin alternare]

Now that your pedantic language issue has been addressed...

Did you know that the young man who was sent to the College Green Bank.... well his Father is a Garda Seargent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Go **** yourself you silly little ****.

Permaban please so I never consider coming back in here :)

whats that all about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

alternate
    Verb
    B]-nating[/B], [B]-nated[/B
    1. to occur by turns
    2. to interchange regularly or in succession
    Adjective
    1. occurring by turns
    2. every second (one) of a series: alternate days
    3. being a second choice [Latin alternare]

Now that your pedantic language issue has been addressed...

Did you know that the young man who was sent to the College Green Bank.... well his Father is a Garda Seargent
    So?

To be honest, you're being overly critical of a situation that you don't know all the details about. The whole point of a tiger raid is to scare an employee with threats of violence to a loved one(s), so that the employee will use their position to gain access to money and hand it over to the robbers. In the situation above, that seems to be exactly what happened and there's no reason to think otherwise.

You can theorise that the employee is involved, but as mentioned above, it's much more likely that if there was an inside man, then it would of been someone else.

• Advertisement

whats that all about?
    Best ignore him.

Banned.

whats that all about?

The user has been banned for personal abuse. Thats the end of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I reckon the bank planned the job themselves. They've just doubled their cash in the vault now with the insurance claim.

Gotta love the recession!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Sofa_King Good

Random wrote: »
    I reckon the bank planned the job themselves. They've just doubled their cash in the vault now with the insurance claim.

Gotta love the recession!

a bit like Madoff's "victims".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

why would I load as much as my car would carry? very curious....

Because, just maybe, it is an inside job & the perps have been advised by their insider that there is a lot of cash in the vault, alot more than €1m.

That's why I would load up my car with cash, if it was me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

They've just doubled their cash in the vault now with the insurance claim.

Insurance doesn't work that way.

You insure something for a certain value. The insurance company takes on the risk. You lose the risk. You pay your excess, make your claim and voila .. you've got your risk back.

Is this not the case with bank insurance too then?

You insure something for a certain value. The insurance company takes on the risk. You lose the risk. You pay your excess, make your claim and voila .. you've got your risk back.

Im wondering how they doubled their money?

7 million stolen.
    7 million replaced.

THey stole the 7 million.
    They're now up 7 million.

• Advertisement

7 million stolen.
    7 million replaced.

THey stole the 7 million.
    They're now up 7 million.

A portion of the money has been found, and they'll find the rest. Money back in vault.

-7 + 7 = 0 Gained.

Looking for a conspiracy, rather than look at the obvious facts of criminals robbing a bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Didn't I read on the paper earlier that there was around 100 million in the vault and the guy managed to load the 7 into the car. Funnily exactly as a number of people suggested, he took as much as he practically could so his family wouldn't be harmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

scenario - guy walks into a bank with a pic of his family been beaten up, held captive, immediatly is given access to the vault and no warning is given to garda or undercover garda/special forces.. dont tell me he had nothing to do with it! its laughable the guy settle off debts and now has a nice lumpsum coming his way in a few years!

can i arrange something like that? walk into the bank with a pic of my cat in destress?

scenario - guy walks into a bank with a pic of his family been beaten up, held captive, immediatly is given access to the vault and no warning is given to garda or undercover garda/special forces.. dont tell me he had nothing to do with it! its laughable the guy settle off debts and now has a nice lumpsum coming his way in a few years!

can i arrange something like that? walk into the bank with a pic of my cat in destress?

Did you read the details of actually what happened? He had photos of the employees that were on that morning too. It wasn't just him being threatened, it was others too that worked for the bank. If there was an insider, its not going to be the person they kidnap.

exactly! you are the first to agree with me and or see the light....

I cant believe there are people defending the inside man.... its like a BAD movie script...

so OBVIOUS its SCREAMING! :pac:

Therein lies the problem.

You seem to think that life is like a movie script.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

exactly! you are the first to agree with me and or see the light....

I cant believe there are people defending the inside man.... its like a BAD movie script...

so OBVIOUS its SCREAMING! :pac:

Leaving aside one rather important point, that's not what actually happened.

But it's not obvious at all. You have a suspicion and not an ounce of evidence. That's all. This is the point that people are trying to get across. As the evidence stands, there's nothign to say the guy is guilty. It's a possibility he is, but you're jumping to that conclusion while others are waiting to see what the evidence says.

humanji wrote: »
    But it's not obvious at all. You have a suspicion and not an ounce of evidence. That's all. This is the point that people are trying to get across. As the evidence stands, there's nothign to say the guy is guilty. It's a possibility he is, but you're jumping to that conclusion while others are waiting to see what the evidence says.

i am throwing it out there, whats surprised me is the amount and manner of people that are blindly defending the chap....

my hunches are always on the money.....

Why are you blindly condemning him, and how is that any different?

• Advertisement
Advertisement