Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When are the elections

Options
  • 02-03-2009 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

As above.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

March 4th - 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

What were the results? Were their any appeals? Any surprises?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Frankieb

Just wondering myself. There was loads of hype yesterday but I haven't heard anything. Is the count over? How do you find out who won?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

Scott aherne welfare,paddy ryan c and c, mike pat ents, donnacha o suilebhan and redmond and hanratty on waitin on results of chris bonds second prefrance after julian brophy and rons couldnt be used to find a winner

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Cheers, typical of elections - some positions won't be filled until about a week after the vote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Scott aherne welfare,paddy ryan c and c, mike pat ents, donnacha o suilebhan and redmond and hanratty on waitin on results of chris bonds second prefrance after julian brophy and rons couldnt be used to find a winner
    Looking like it's shaping up to be all the people I voted for. Unlike last year when I don't think even one of the people I voted for got in!

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

Breezer wrote: »
    Looking like it's shaping up to be all the people I voted for. Unlike last year when I don't think even one of the people I voted for got in!

Ha well if your choice of backing is as canny in SU elections as it is with political parties you might be a while waiting... :D

Ha well if your choice of backing is as canny in SU elections as it is with political parties you might be a while waiting... :D
    Like until June? ;)

Oddly enough, I've heard quite a few people rate this year's union as a bit of a disaster. Where else could that be applied now? :p

Ahem, yes, back on topic...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Who on earth is Mike Pat??? Gary Ward was robbed.

Breezer wrote: »
    Like until June? ;)

Touché! :pac:

Yeah, the election this year was underwhelming; most of the candidates were carbon copies of each other and no-one really inspired any great confidence... God help us on the President front...

• Advertisement

Touché! :pac:

Yeah, the election this year was underwhelming; most of the candidates were carbon copies of each other and no-one really inspired any great confidence... God help us on the President front...
    Are you talking about the incumbents or the union we've just voted on? I actually thought some of the candidates were quite good this year. Others were more... outlandish, shall we say.

Any word on Redmond v Hanratty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mad lad

Redmond won by 24. Shelly is going over the ballots again though.

So that's Redmond, Ryan, Ahearn, O' Suilleabhain & Mike Pat...good luck to the SU next year :confused:

Well not one candidate (to the best of my knowledge) had the backbone to take a stance on the fees issue by offer anything more solid than "I'm against them."

Speaking of which, I wish the SU had given us proper notice about that referendum; there was no time to put together a proper 'No' side...

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Well not one candidate (to the best of my knowledge) had the backbone to take a stance on the fees issue by offer anything more solid than "I'm against them."

Speaking of which, I wish the SU had given us proper notice about that referendum; there was no time to put together a proper 'No' side...

I don't know that that's entirely fair... the FEE candidates were offering 'direct action', however vague. I think they probably suffered from being perceived as single issue candidates... An anti fee stance is pretty much compulsory for any candidate anyway.

Maybe the Pro Lisbon side should take notes on the referendum :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Rubbish.

The three FEE candidates had all taken part in blockades and occupations against fees. They've been making solid demands against fees that go well beyond 'I'm against them'

They've also been in contact with secondary school student unions and the likes, and organised a solid national campaign- taking the campaigns group to all the NUI colleges and further.

The fact known members of Ógra FF were saying 'Oh I'm against fees too' meant that the candidates who've actively fought fees were lost among those who're filling their CVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

They are mostly Fianna Failers except for Scotty Ahearn and maybe one other. Its a disgrace that those parasites who have destroyed the country now have our fair university in their sights.

They are mostly Fianna Failers except for Scotty Ahearn and maybe one other. Its a disgrace that those parasites who have destroyed the country now have our fair university in their sights.
    If I can get over it so can the rest of you :p TBH I don't care what party they're from as long as they form an efficient SU.

How many of them are FF anyway? As far as I know only Paddy Ryan and Dani Pender. And to be fair to Ryan, he stated that if it came to FF loyalty vs SU loyalty on the fees issue, he'd resign from FF. That, combined with the fact that he seemed a lot more reasonable than his opponent, was what gave him my vote.

PrivateEye wrote: »
    Rubbish.

The three FEE candidates had all taken part in blockades and occupations against fees. They've been making solid demands against fees that go well beyond 'I'm against them'

Yes, but not one of them had the backbone to admit the reality that fees are on the way back whether we like it or not, and not one suggested a realistic strategy to get the best deal for students, given the circumstances.

Yes, but not one of them had the backbone to admit the reality that fees are on the way back whether we like it or not, and not one suggested a realistic strategy to get the best deal for students, given the circumstances.
    I see (and agree with) your point, but there really would have been no point in them doing this. It would have been political suicide. You saw what happened with the referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

FYI: Scottie + Paddy are FG

Gary, Mike Pat + Donnocha are FF, Donnocha said at hustings he would leave the party.

• Advertisement

dajaffa wrote: »
    FYI: Scottie + Paddy are FG

Gary, Mike Pat + Donnocha are FF, Donnocha said at hustings he would leave the party.
    Woops, slightly embarrassing mix up on my part there! Meh, like I said, I didn't vote based on political allegiances. I'll save that for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Is it true that Mike Pat is the son of Ceann Comhairle John O'Donoughue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Alyosha

Is it true that Mike Pat is the son of Ceann Comhairle John O'Donoughue?

Yep. Think he'll be a good Ents officer, has a lot of union and society experience.

I only voted for three people....congrats to Mike Pat and Donncha, unlucky Chris Bond!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Alyosha wrote: »
    Yep. Think he'll be a good Ents officer, has a lot of union and society experience.

/QUOTE]

I guess he wants to avert his return to the wilds of Cahirciveen for another year,

Anyone know who got President in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Im pretty sure it was Gary.

Completely off topic but has anyone noticed the sheer quantity of first years going around repeating manifesto and candidate speeches in order to appear knowledgable about the union. I love first years. They are so stupid :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

Pretty glad i won't be here next year now after some of those results, one in particular.

Pretty glad i won't be here next year now after some of those results, one in particular.

I enjoyed the elections because to me it didnt really matter who won :D. But PS tell us ... which one in particular?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Grimes wrote: »
    Completely off topic but has anyone noticed the sheer quantity of first years going around repeating manifesto and candidate speeches in order to appear knowledgable about the union. I love first years. They are so stupid :D
    Bless their little cotton socks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Redmond won the recount by 31 votes, the first count he had won by 24.

• Advertisement

So the winners are

Gary Redmond - President
    Paddy Ryan - Campaigns
    Mike Pat O'Donoghue - Ents
    Donnacha O'Sullivan - Education
    Scottie Ahearn - Welfare

I have to say I am actually very suprised by the voter turnout and the way people voted. Well done to all the winners.

Advertisement