Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nipple piercing and breastfeeding?

Options
  • 02-03-2009 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭

Hi guys!

I had my nipple pierced 6 years ago. I took it out 4 years ago due to sensitivity when pregnant with my son and it hasn't been back in since, due to breastfeeding son for long time. I am now pregnant with child #2 and at one side where the piercing was, is a bit raised and white "stuff" is in there.

Does anybody know what this could be? Can something be done to it and will it affect breastfeeding?

Hope somebody can help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I would go to your doctor for something like this tbh, just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

It sounds like there's pus under that "raised bit", from bacteria getting into the piercing. Can't be sure though. Go see your GP to get it checked though. Till then, don't breastfeed on that side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Mrs Fed

I think there is an infection going on. Go see your doctor.
    I happened the same to me with the belly pierced, when I tried to put it back in after my pregnancy, it got infected....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

Mrs Fed wrote: »
    I think there is an infection going on. Go see your doctor.
    I happened the same to me with the belly pierced, when I tried to put it back in after my pregnancy, it got infected....

Thanks everybody! What did you get to clear it up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Mrs Fed

To be honest, I took it off and did nothing to it. It went away.
    But I don't think I had pus in it, It had jus reddened a lot and got a bit swollen.
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 TheBlondeOne

You could just go see a piercer also, it sounds like dead skin built up in the piercing hole. You'd know if it was infected, it would be VERY sore and inflamed red and hot, smelly and weeping. It's unlikely a piercing site would suddenly become infected. (I actually am a piercer by the way and i've had my nipples pierced and i've had a kid and also breastfed). If it is infected and all the things i mentioned above then certainly seek medical advice.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Yea, that sounds like what I had going on in my nipple piercing. Bit of blood mixed in there as well. In hindsight I prob didn't take care of the infection the best way, but it got the job done. I'm not even going to mention what it involved,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Like TheBlondeOne said, you would definitely know if you had an infection. My nipple piercings left white bumps behind when they healed too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

Thanks guys for your replies. I don't have an infection or blood in it and I've been reassured by TheBlondOne and now Guage.

Advertisement