Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

first commute in to dublin on the bike

• 02-03-2009 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi all ,
    god i tell yous ,first time went to work on my bike (250 CBR RR) today,the good point first before i start coursing.lol
    -taken me 45 min instead of 1,5 hours min.
    -fun to pass the waiting traffic
    -smile on the bosses faces.lol
    -will be home before dark
    -saving me 1.5 hours a day i think that is 7,5 hours a week nearly 1 week in a month.wow
    -smile by filling up the tank 11.66 euro great.

Now the bad points......
    -the cagers have little or no clue that you are there,twice today got nearly run in to by cagers not looking when there turn ,and even worse not even setting the indicator,grrrrrrr.......:mad:
    -it was a bit slippery comming in from laragh at 7.45.
    -could not get my coffee:eek:(would have helped not to kill the women with my eyes ,whom cut in front of me.....lol:D
    -not sure about the buslane (i know its ilegal to use)but the taxidrivers seem to hate the bikers:mad:.

let me know how your first trip went........lol
    Any way the main thing is i am and the bike are in one piece and hope to be staying this way for a long time to come.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Pedestrians are so stupid in town and NEVER look for motorbikes before walking out into the traffic!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭volker 991

:D
    Bryn wrote: »
    Pedestrians are so stupid in town and NEVER look for motorbikes before walking out into the traffic!!!
    :D i strongley agree ,forgot to mention that.:)how could i ?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

volker 991 wrote: »
    -saving me 1.5 hours a day i think that is 7,5 hours a week nearly 1 week in a month.wow
    Work it out over a year and then figure out how much extra sleep you're getting and how much time you're getting to do stuff at home.
    -the cagers have little or no clue that you are there,twice today got nearly run in to by cagers not looking when there turn ,and even worse not even setting the indicator,grrrrrrr.......:mad:
    This is probably one of the most dangerous parts of any commute, and the only 100% safe advice in regards overtaking a queue of traffic is to not do it at all.
    However, you will do it and so did I as a biker, and I'd do it again. Watch out for a number of things:

1. Look out for right turns up ahead - some cars are liable to jump out of the queue in frustration, even if they're 100+m away from the turn.
    2. As you figured out, don't rely on indicators to tell you what people are going to do (but do watch them).
    3. Watch out for cars suddenly doing U-turns. These are next to impossible to predict and I'm sure a number of regulars here will tell their stories of colliding with them.
    4. Once the queue starts moving, stop overtaking and rejoin the traffic flow.
    5. Above all, keep your speed down. If the traffic is stopped, then any progress, even if it is at 20km/h, is better than no progress and better than being splattered on the road. Your ability to react safely to sudden occurences will be much better at slow speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

I have been commuting each day in and out of town about 9 miles each way for the last 7 years.
    Big thing to watch out for are Pedastrians as mentioned above and bloody cyclists who weave in and out of traffic never stop at lights and never really look where they are going.
    Also they are always right- I am naughty sometimes and use the cycle lanes only where the road is really narrow but will not tailgate cyclists. Had the odd one give out to me just before watching a few them go straight through pedestrian light nearly taking a couple with them!!

Also always go at speed if overtaking that you can stop quickly be especially aware of passing any van/bus you cannot see through as a pedestrian could just pop out from behind them. Slow down further when wet and beware of road markings, man hole covers etc when wet as they can be real slippy especially if cornering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Did you get that bike restricted after all Volker ?? Wouldn't want to hitting someone and finding out you're not insured , would we :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

KTRIC wrote: »
    Did you get that bike restricted after all Volker ?? Wouldn't want to hitting someone and finding out you're not insured , would we :rolleyes:
    well i want to be mad not to ,i will get it done over the weekend ,i have to.
    what is the story dose the lerner permit counts in on the 2 years you only can have 33 bhp?
    BTW if push commes to shuff i have a full german bike licence ,expaired all the same:confused:
    so i be a good boy and do the test again:)

Thank you all for the good advice ,i will take it all on board,i promise,:D
    i am aware that sonner or later i will fall of the bike,mother of the beast riding in to work every day,but i love biking and did impose a 10 year ban on me after i crashed twice and wrote of 2 600 cbr's in less then 6 month,as i said i was young an full of adrenaline,better now,not that much of a speedfreak anymore:rolleyes:.
    come on we where all young ones:cool:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

well i want to be mad not to ,i will get it done over the weekend ,i have to.
    what is the story dose the lerner permit counts in on the 2 years you only can have 33 bhp?
    BTW if push commes to shuff i have a full german bike licence ,expaired all the same:confused:
    so i be a good boy and do the test again:)

two years starts the day you receive your full license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

So your "backup" German License has expired - well thats no use is it? And you will get round to getting legal regarding restriction at the weekend yet still drive around this coming week. :confused:

Get legal like the rest of us or else get off the road before you kill yourself or someone else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭jmck87

Tomohawk wrote: »
    Get legal like the rest of us or else get off the road before you kill yourself or someone else!

Love the way not restricting a bike by 12 hp can make you more likely to kill someone.

I personally have no problem volkmar (assuming thats your name) with you not restricting the bike....maybe because I have an unrestricted cibby too...and the guards wont give you any hassle...but in fairness Tomo is right, your insurance co. will have no bother not covering you in case of an accident.

• Advertisement

So your "backup" German License has expired - well thats no use is it? And you will get round to getting legal regarding restriction at the weekend yet still drive around this coming week. :confused:

i am left the bike at home ,chill out,i will not kill me or other ,i am not a beginner ,you know ,its not a backup licence,its a full one ,i could just go to the embassy and beg to extend so i can exange to a full irish want do this ,have not done it ether with my carlicence.
    I believe i may have bad habbits.thats why i will take a test to justefy myself i can still ride a bike SAFE.
    in case you dont know i had to take 16 hours theory lesson in germany before i was let on a bike with a instructur on a course.then followed by 4 hours city,4 hours countryroad,4hours twin road and 3 hours motorway ,thats before you even allowed to ask for a test.
    now you go on do your theorytest and by your licence @the council office and ride away,safe or not........./:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

I'm not really bothered about the bike bhp restriction issue, but the situation with your licence is a lot more worrying. Your full German licence has expired, why don't you simply renew it and trasfer to a full Irish licence as you say its possible. Why bother with a Irish provisional? You seem to imply that youre doing it for the driving practice. Who banned you for 10 years, yourself or the goverment, its not clear?

You're are absolutely right about the Geramn test being far more professional than the Irish test, no argument there mate, but that's not the issue! Do you have a valid licence to drive in Ireland because your insurance may be affected, thats all?

I'm not really bothered about the bike bhp restriction issue, but the situation with your licence is a lot more worrying. Your full German licence has expired, why don't you simply renew it and trasfer to a full Irish licence as you say its possible. Why bother with a Irish provisional? You seem to imply that youre doing it for the driving practice. Who banned you for 10 years, yourself or the goverment, its not clear?

You're are absolutely right about the Geramn test being far more professional than the Irish test, no argument there mate, but that's not the issue! Do you have a valid licence to drive in Ireland because your insurance may be affected, thats all?

I have banned myself.feelt i could not trust myself to ride a bike with the need for peed i had ,thats all.

as for the licence,i have a valid licence ,

on german one
    one irish A lerner permit
    The insurance are aware of it since today and no bother there,as the policy states"a licence to operate the insured bike"which i have.
    Mate ,i even did my cartest again,just to be sure i can handle in a safe manner to drive on the other site of the road.
    Just the way i am ,cant help it.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I have banned myself.feelt i could not trust myself to ride a bike with the need for peed i had ,thats all.

as for the licence,i have a valid licence ,

on german one
    one irish A lerner permit
    The insurance are aware of it since today and no bother there,as the policy states"a licence to operate the insured bike"which i have.
    Mate ,i even did my cartest again,just to be sure i can handle in a safe manner to drive on the other site of the road.
    Just the way i am ,cant help it.:D

Your German license is expired, so its not a valid "licence to operate the insured bike". Your Irish provisional has a 33bhp restriction on it and your bike doesn't so you don't have a "licence to operate the insured bike".

Don't fool yourself into thinking you do. An accident which can be attributed to you, the insurance company will look for any reason not to pay if its a large claim. You have a pretty good chance of going into 50+k dept, in this climate you can expect everybody to sue for anything. Insurance quotes are going up because of this.

Your German license is expired, so its not a valid "licence to operate the insured bike". Your Irish provisional has a 33bhp restriction on it and your bike doesn't so you don't have a "licence to operate the insured bike".

Don't fool yourself into thinking you do. An accident which can be attributed to you, the insurance company will look for any reason not to pay if its a large claim. You have a pretty good chance of going into 50+k dept, in this climate you can expect everybody to sue for anything. Insurance quotes are going up because of this.
    Right ,,,,,i put a end to it ,
    the bike is at home until i have the restrictor fitted ,tomorrow i will go and get a stamp in my german licence ,validating it until i chose or not to get a new one...thats settled .....
    And by the way ,all that restriction talk is going on my nerves ,do you know you can still do 160 to 170 kph on a restricted bike and the limit speedlimit is 120 kph 100 in most places.
    A restricted bike will go all the way to 160 or 170 kph like any other bike. period.thats why i do not have a problem getting my babyblade restricted.end of.period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

volker - you would be much better of getting your German lic transferred over to an Irish one and do some advanced training and maybe the Garda Bikesafe course rather than doing the Test again - all instructors will teach you a very different approach to passing the test rather than normal riding - they will teach you all the rules for the test but won't cover all the bases that you will need to ride in traffic daily (defensive riding ....)

ifah wrote: »
    volker - you would be much better of getting your German lic transferred over to an Irish one and do some advanced training and maybe the Garda Bikesafe course rather than doing the Test again - all instructors will teach you a very different approach to passing the test rather than normal riding - they will teach you all the rules for the test but won't cover all the bases that you will need to ride in traffic daily (defensive riding ....)
    I can ride ,thats not the issue ,but the garda bikesafe course is on the cards .
    i have a letter from work ,so i should get a test date fast.:)
    will not transfer .end of......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

i have a letter from work ,so i should get a test date fast.:)
    Thats what everyone in the country thinks!
    You know you have to have your learner permit for six months before you can do the test.

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Thats what everyone in the country thinks!
    You know you have to have your learner permit for six months before you can do the test.
    I know that ,i do have it for over 1 year now ,as i said i was thinking about getting back on the bike for a long time .
    WE GERMANS DONT DO THING AT HALF LOL:D:D:D:pac:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

He is insured even though his bike is not restricted! The problem is, the insurance company will pay out if he is responsible for an accident and then they'll file a personal law suit against him to get their money back and then some!

Not worth the risk AT ALL!

• Advertisement

And by the way ,all that restriction talk is going on my nerves ,do you know you can still do 160 to 170 kph on a restricted bike and the limit speedlimit is 120 kph 100 in most places.
    A restricted bike will go all the way to 160 or 170 kph like any other bike. period.thats why i do not have a problem getting my babyblade restricted.end of.period.
    I think we all agree with you there! But to avoid getting sued by your insurance company when things go bad we all advise you to be legal! ;)

I'm not going to lie to you, I never restricted my Bandit 600 and luckily enough I wasn't responsible for any accident in the first 2 years!

Now I have a full power Fireblade and I'm delighted! :D

Two years is a long time to be restricted... But paying off a 50k loan over 10 years is by far worse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

I know that ,i do have it for over 1 year now ,as i said i was thinking about getting back on the bike for a long time .
    WE GERMANS DONT DO THING AT HALF LOL:D:D:D:pac:confused:
    Ah grand, i didn't want you getting a quick test and not be able to do it. :cool:

I think we all agree with you there! But to avoid getting sued by your insurance company when things go bad we all advise you to be legal! ;)

I'm not going to lie to you, I never restricted my Bandit 600 and luckily enough I wasn't responsible for any accident in the first 2 years!

Now I have a full power Fireblade and I'm delighted! :D

Two years is a long time to be restricted... But paying off a 50k loan over 10 years is by far worse!
    cool i like your honesty as i said the bike is parked up until restrictor is fitted.thats that.
    i have no problem riding the bike for a year,we will see then,.....thinking of getting a 600 fireblade in the summer next year.......with a restrictor;)

i would like to extend my thank you to all of you,the advice and the abuse ...lol al welcome,i do know i am in a unusual situation....:D

i just want to be fair and safe....:P
    oh and thanks for the great welcomme ...

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Ah grand, i didn't want you getting a quick test and not be able to do it. :cool:

thanks to you,as i said we germans......lol

jmck87 wrote: »
    Love the way not restricting a bike by 12 hp can make you more likely to kill someone.

I personally have no problem volkmar (assuming thats your name) with you not restricting the bike....maybe because I have an unrestricted cibby too...and the guards wont give you any hassle...but in fairness Tomo is right, your insurance co. will have no bother not covering you in case of an accident.
    jmck87,its steffen ,volker is the nick name from my campervan...lol:D
    girlfriend called baby..., blade if she gets going lol:D:D

cool i like your honesty as i said the bike is parked up until restrictor is fitted.thats that.
    Good on you! :)
    thinking of getting a 600 fireblade in the summer next year.......with a restrictor;)
    FYI: there's no such thing as a "600 Fireblade". The "Fireblade" is the "CBR 1000RR". The 600 is only called "CBR 600RR". ;)

Good on you! :)

FYI: there's no such thing as a "600 Fireblade". The "Fireblade" is the "CBR 1000RR". The 600 is only called "CBR 600RR". ;)

They should have given them all the Fireblade name, would be great.

They should have given them all the Fireblade name, would be great.
    No. I have a Fireblade and I want to remain special so no! :P

I want to remain special

You'll always be special to us Steffano ;)

Stealth editing for the win :D

• Advertisement

You'll always be special to us Steffano ;)

Stealth editing for the win :D
    Ahhhhhh! Thanks!*

*I'm being american - i.e. what is sarcasm?

Advertisement