Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bar work abroad - europe

Options
  • 02-03-2009 2:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

hi i was just wondering if anyone here has ever or would know of anyone who went and worked in a bar anywhere in europe for summer??

how did you guys go about it??Did you try and secure work before hand or just went over hand in cap and took your chances??

with the current economic mare we seem to be having, i know it may limit my opportunities but is there still a chance do you think???

thanks for any replies!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭acontadino

yeah i worked in finnegans in donnybrook for the summer in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Wilko121

Hey m8, id say with most places you could just showup and find some sort of work.
    Defo for holiday destination

Went to Portugal last year and it was easy enough finding work

With the economy, even if theres a 30% drop in tourism theres still 70% of the seasonal work available ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭acontadino

actually how about jobs in eurodisney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭gags89

cool, and can i ask was it easy enough gettin accomadation you just go onto portugals version of daft.ie or what???

like did you just roll over without any prior applications or emailing any pubs and chanced your arm??

did you enjoy it??good money?relevant to your expenses??

if you could answer any of my qs there...id really appreciate it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭gags89

nah disney in florida anyway are having to lay off staff so im guessing the same is with euro-disney as people have less $$ to spend in a big expensive theme park..would be a fun summer but the pay i hear is not great...disney world reps come around our college every-year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

gags89 wrote: »
    how did you guys go about it??Did you try and secure work before hand or just went over hand in cap and took your chances??
    i just took my chances and got VERY lucky. if i were to do it again, i would try and get work before hand.

if your thinking about Germany, this website might be good if your looking to get in contact with some ex-pats. maybe they can help you out work-wise. i know people who have got help there before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭injured365

Hoping to do something similiar myself this summer but with the way things are im trying to have a job before i go anywhere......no luck so far tho :(

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Wilko121

I went over with nothing organized. Was lucky, got a job first pub i went to.
    Had 2k, That gave me plenty of splash cash and paid for 3months rent.
    Accommodation by word of mouth man. There will be plenty of people in the same boat as you. You can always find a hostel while you look.

Money wise, that depends, handing out flyrs is a great laugh (free booze nd all) but the money will just pay your food/accom, bar work is generly better paid.

Thats the story my man, for the likes of the algarve and spain id say!

Oh ya, and it was the best laugh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 scottyccfc

Pick a City, look for all the Irish pubs online and just apply, thats what I did. Got a phonecall on the Monday was there by the Thursday, 250 euro in my pocket, it was tough at the start but the best year of my life. Go for it, you will not regret it. The Europa Centre in Berlin has a huge turnover of staff and always like the Irish accent there. Angie is the owner I think, a witch but hey its good craic.

Advertisement