Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where complain if Paypal screws you?

Options
  • 02-03-2009 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I bought an item on ebay, paying with paypal on 11th of December. It item was worth just short of 500eur.

The problem is that the item never arrived. I followed the instructions on the paypal web site and it's March now and the paypal buyer protection is still ongoing.

I got no answer to my emails. I called them and they transferred me from one person to the other and eventually just kicked me out of the phone line.

The status message says that they are awaiting more information from the seller.

The seller however didn't even answer any of my SIX emails I sent before escalating the issue with paypal.

Why does paypal not just give me my money back????!!!
    Where can I complain about paypal?

Thanks,
    mC.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There's nowhere to complain. Did you escalate your dispute to a claim? If the seller didn't respond within 10 days, then you should have won. If you waited too long to escalate to a claim, then you can't.

If you funded the payment through a credit card, then you can try a charge-back, but 4 months later might be too late to dispute this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

You'll just have to wait..
    In my experience Paypal generally rule in favour of the buyer in cases like this.
    The seller has to prove the item was delivered to you, which obviously in this case he can't.
    Paypal will give the seller some time to respond to your dispute.
    Paypal disputes can take months to resolve..
    I think their professionals need some time to work the claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

Thanks for your responses!
    jor el wrote: »
    There's nowhere to complain. Did you escalate your dispute to a claim? If the seller didn't respond within 10 days, then you should have won. If you waited too long to escalate to a claim, then you can't.

If you funded the payment through a credit card, then you can try a charge-back, but 4 months later might be too late to dispute this.

I kept to all of paypal's rules about what to do and when.
    Which is the problem as it takes forever. Had I just complained to the credit card company I would have had the money back long ago. But I naively thought that this paypal buyer protection thing works.

:(

@HarryD: great cartoon!!!

Thanks again for your answers.

mC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Some sellers would tell you that PayPal buyer protection works too well. IME, requesting a chargeback through your credit card company takes just as long if not longer and there's no online dispute form where you can communicate with the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

JJ wrote: »
    Some sellers would tell you that PayPal buyer protection works too well. IME, requesting a chargeback through your credit card company takes just as long if not longer and there's no online dispute form where you can communicate with the seller.

I've requested a chargeback twice for myself & once for my partner for various goods not received from ebay in the past after the paypal & ebay terms expired and they were solved really quickly. In one case the money was in my account within about 3 days. Definitely get on to your bank - if you're with Bank of Ireland, you can email this address: chargebacks@boimail.com . Don't know about the other banks though.
    Send them a detailed email and they might ask you to forward on any emails you sent to paypal, ebay, seller etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭oneweb

Oral Slang wrote: »
    I've requested a chargeback twice for myself & once for my partner for various goods not received from ebay in the past after the paypal & ebay terms expired and they were solved really quickly. In one case the money was in my account within about 3 days. Definitely get on to your bank - if you're with Bank of Ireland, you can email this address: chargebacks@boimail.com . Don't know about the other banks though.
    Send them a detailed email and they might ask you to forward on any emails you sent to paypal, ebay, seller etc.
    I need to do the same thing. Bought an item in December and heard noting since I paid. Missed the 45 day dealine for a dispute (because I've had to wait more than that before for economy delivery). Tried anyway and they closed it straight away with "under the terms, you have 45 days" blah blah blah.

Oh and the seller has two negative feedbacks from other December buyers, they haven't traded since.

Does initiating a chargeback with AIB etc have any effect on your paypal account? I want to do it, but if it fecks up my Paypal account for the sake of €28 I might let it go (grudgingly!)

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Paypal have been known to close the accounts of people who initiate charge-backs. Not all the time, but some have.

Advertisement