Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Gym In Letterkenny + Prices?

Options
  • 02-03-2009 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭

Hi, i was thinking of getting a gym membership somewhere in Letterkenny and was wondering if you fine boardsies could recommend a good one for me? i know of a few in the town but haven't any idea which are good/reasonably priced, so any help on this will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Try the Aura leisure centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

have to agree Aura would be your best bet, no membership either pay as you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Is Aura the new one near the stadium?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Its the new one swimming pool, gym, running track, footy pitch, astro turf(well artifical grass) the have concerts there too riverdance was there and yer man off the x-factor(yawn). its out by ballymacool, the glenties road. i think your talking about o'donnell park the gaelic pitch if so then yes it is beside it.

Cool, that's very local to me too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I've trained in or at least been in near enough every gym in LK now over the past 5/6 years.

Aura is alright...I wasn't overly impressed with it.

Few questions...

What do you want in a gym...

Weight training?

Cardio?

Pool?

Classes?

Sauna/Steam?

Jacuzzi?

Quiet gym or someplace that you possibly get a training partner in?

Public or Private use? ie. pay as you go or membership

Answer them and I'll tell you where I think is the best place.

What do you want in a gym...

Weight training? - maybe, not essential

Cardio? - yes

Pool? - maybe, not essential

Classes? - not necessary

Sauna/Steam? - yes

Jacuzzi? - maybe, not essential

Quiet gym or someplace that you possibly get a training partner in? - quiet preferably!

Public or Private use? ie. pay as you go or membership - either's good, would prefer the pay monthly option i think

Nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

For what you have outlined above I'd advise

1. Radisson
    2. Aura
    3. Clanree

Fantastic deal down the radisson at the moment where you can join up for 12 months for €250 for gym or swim or €495 for gym & swim. I'm not sure what it is pay monthly but its definitley the cheapest around LK.

My advice...go round the 3 of them and ask for a free session and decide then what suits you more!

Farls wrote: »
    For what you have outlined above I'd advise

1. Radisson
    2. Aura
    3. Clanree

Fantastic deal down the radisson at the moment where you can join up for 12 months for €250 for gym or swim or €495 for gym & swim. I'm not sure what it is pay monthly but its definitley the cheapest around LK.

My advice...go round the 3 of them and ask for a free session and decide then what suits you more!

Thanks man! (x12)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 NiviB

I would definately try the Aura centre. I do alot of training and the facilities are great. For me the fitness class sold it to me, there are loadz of them and they are all part of your memebrship they are a great way to train regular without gettin board!!
    I was a member in a few of the hotel pools over the years but I think I will stick with the aura.

Good luck on your search though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Spidarz

I see the Radisson yearly price but does anyone have the Aura's yearly price...gym only...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 NiviB

Hi the aura don't have a gym only membership but they have been running a good membership offer not sure if it's still on! It was €99 for 99 days which is pretty good! It would be worth giving them a call to see if it's still going!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Spidarz

Thanx....will be looking to join a gym next year when I move to Letterkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dunna

Im currently thinking about joining a gym in lkenny.
    Just wondering if anyone knows about any deals going re membership.
    I would like somewhere with a pool. Gym would also be useful but definately a swimming pool! Willing to join for 3month or 6month trial but if that wasn't available i would pay for the 12months.
    I been thinking about the mount errigal. Does anyone know what this would be like or how much it costs at present?
    I want a quiet gym/swimming pool. Not a public pay as you go place.
    It would suit me best to pay the full amount up front rather than pay monthly.
    I look forward to any replies/recommendations! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Has anyone here tried Energie Fitness? I don't know it myself but I know somebody who goes there regularly and says it's the best around town.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭gavmcfad

Is that the one in Glencar. I got a flyer through the letter box for one of that one i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Pat4780

Anyone recommend a good weights gym in west donegal or L kenny?thanks!

deman wrote: »
    Has anyone here tried Energie Fitness? I don't know it myself but I know somebody who goes there regularly and says it's the best around town.

My girlfriend just got a membership there for a really good price, it seems like a very nice gym too, it's well stocked with equipment and runs classes that are free if you're a member.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

I think the best all round gym in the town is the Community Centre.

At the mo it is 240 for a years membership, which includes classes such as cirtuit training. It doesnt have a pool or sauna... but I wouldnt waste my time in either tbh. It has an excellent free weights area as well as plenty of cardio machines.

I was a member of Energie (previosuly Attiva) for a year and went straight back to the community center this year. I looked at Aura but it is way too expensive. The hotel gyms are a waste of time IMO. Not enough good equiptment and too expensive. Plus... they only have a leisure suite to get an extra star in their rating anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Satanta wrote: »
    I was a member of Energie (previosuly Attiva) for a year and went straight back to the community center this year.

What happened that you left Energie?

• Advertisement

deman wrote: »
    What happened that you left Energie?

I found the free weights section lacking quite a bit in Energie. Also... the price for anual membership in the Comunity Centre is 240 versus 400 for Energie. I originally signed up there because htey were promising a sauna and steam room, but got stiffed by their franchise who went bust and couldnt afford to put them in. So... for gym and classes only I went for the option that was 160 quid cheaper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Also looking for a good free weight gym in Letterkenny, any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

If its just weights i'd say the Community Center might be your best bet. Its the cheapest pay as you go (if i'm wrong i've no doubt i'll be corrected!)

Homer might be able to tell you more about a certain gym though

Also looking for a good free weight gym in Letterkenny, any recommendations?

Community Centre in Letterkenny. E240 per year membership and excellent equipment.

Aura - E600 per year and the gym is a little better equipped. Gots very busy though... more peace in community centre

Energie - E400 per year. Last time I was in there it wasn't great, however I heard it has improved a bit.

My recommendation is Community Centre by far.

Advertisement