Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland-Australia soccer friendly

• 02-03-2009 3:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭

I see Thomond park will host the Ireland-Australia soccer friendly, on August 12th.

Could be interesting.

Link

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Good to see the senior team playing a home game outside the pale. Thomond is a great looking stadium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

gimmick wrote: »
    Good to see the senior team playing a home game outside the pale. Thomond is a great looking stadium.

yeh passed this on the way to Clare a few weeks back, class looking stadium...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

How will the ticketing work for this? Will blockbookers have to make their way down from Dublin? Or are the FAI hoping to make enough sales from supporters from closer to Thomond?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Hope they dont force people on the list to purchase the tickets as its hardly fair or convenient being played about 120 miles outside of Dublin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

redout wrote: »
    Hope they dont force people on the list to purchase the tickets as its hardly fair or convenient being played about 120 miles outside of Dublin.

im sure there will be a demand from people who maybe wouldent usually go because of this exact reason and that shouldent be neccesary, especially with the reduced capactity Thomend means.

• Advertisement

They will get 26,000 as its a friendly and standing will be permitted. Sure Limerick alone has over 100,000 then add in like 500,000 in nearby Cork and I wouldnt think that they would have a problem selling the tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Surely the players are being advised not to bring any valuables along with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Its convienent for a lot of block bookers who dont live in Dublin!

stovelid wrote: »
    Surely the players are being advised not to bring any valuables along with them?
    Haha, but they've been playing on the Northside for the last couple of years so they'd well used to being careful by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

stovelid wrote: »

Oh look a joke!

• Advertisement

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Its convienent for a lot of block bookers who dont live in Dublin!

I would reckon the majority of block bookers live in the Greater Dublin area.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Trilla wrote: »
    Oh look a joke!

is this like a laughter track on a poor tv show, am I supposed to laugh now? cos i didnt find it funny :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

BaZmO* wrote: »
    How will the ticketing work for this? Will blockbookers have to make their way down from Dublin? Or are the FAI hoping to make enough sales from supporters from closer to Thomond?

So the Irish football fans, the greatest fans in the world will be giving out about having to travel 120 miles to a home game ?

So the Irish football fans, the greatest fans in the world will be giving out about having to travel 120 miles to a home game ?

I dont think that you realise most of the fans that go to the games are from the Dublin and surrounding area as its a lot more easier for them to go than say thousands travelling from the likes of Cork or Galway. I have been going for the past 10 years to all the Ireland games and without any doubt at all the majority of the crowd are Dubs whether you like it or not. All we are saying is that the FAI should not force people on the list to purchase tickets for this game being as its outside of Dublin. The FAI are bastards for this and always provide you with a warning saying if you dont go to all games friendly/competitive then you are off the list which is immensely difficult to get on in the first place.

Oh would you stop.
    FYI I'll be travelling over 2,500 miles round trip at the end of this month to see Ireland play. Is that far enough for ya?

Also the friendly is on a Wednesday so it'll be kinda difficult to finish work at 5 and be down to Limerick for the 8 o'clock kick off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The FAI are bastards for this

The FAI are bastards for every-fúcking-thing.

Des wrote: »
    The FAI are bastards for every-fúcking-thing.

LOL :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Oh would you stop.
    FYI I'll be travelling over 2,500 miles round trip at the end of this month to see Ireland play. Is that far enough for ya?

Also the friendly is on a Wednesday so it'll be kinda difficult to finish work at 5 and be down to Limerick for the 8 o'clock kick off.

That really is one of the only excuses that can be used for not being able to make this game(bar the same reasons why people may miss games in Dublin).

Its good that its been played there, be a decent change.

I dont think that you realise most of the fans that go to the games are from the Dublin and surrounding area as its a lot more easier for them to go than say thousands travelling from the likes of Cork or Galway. I have been going for the past 10 years to all the Ireland games and without any doubt at all the majority of the crowd are Dubs whether you like it or not. All we are saying is that the FAI should not force people on the list to purchase tickets for this game being as its outside of Dublin. The FAI are bastards for this and always provide you with a warning saying if you dont go to all games friendly/competitive then you are off the list which is immensely difficult to get on in the first place.

Well tough S**t if they have to travel

I travel to every home game from Kerry, it involves an hour drive to mallow, train to Dublin, return train to Mallow arriving at 1am and then a hour drive home, into bed a 2.30am

So if I fan from Dublin cannot make a trip to Limerick to retain their ticket then they don't deserve to retain it.

Note : I'm aware that it may not be a simple as that as there is a capacity issue, how many block bookers are there anyway ?

Trilla wrote: »
    Oh look a joke!

You've given the game away now. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Oh would you stop.

Tough S**t, take the day off like I do for every mid week international.

So if I fan from Dublin cannot make a trip to Limerick to retain their ticket then they don't deserve to retain it.
    That's just nonsense. For some people it just won't be viable to go to the game. And sure what will just happen if blockbookers have to take their allocation is that they'll just take the tickets and not go which will just make for a sh1t atmosphere......not that friendlies ever have a good atmosphere.

I'm going out on a limb here but I reckon that the FAI are not going to force BB's to take a ticket for this game and that'll there'll be enough interest from the locals.

This display of "level 11 football" would really be more suited to League of Ireland support.

Please don't steal our thunder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Hopefully they play all the rubbish friendlies down there so I don't have to go to them. Keep the qualfiers and decent friendlies for croker/lansdowne

How are those anger management classes going?

Well tough S**t if they have to travel

I travel to every home game from Kerry, it involves an hour drive to mallow, train to Dublin, return train to Mallow arriving at 1am and then a hour drive home, into bed a 2.30am

Note : I'm aware that it may not be a simple as that as there is a capacity issue, how many block bookers are there anyway ?

Did you or did you not choose to go to the games knowing they are played in Dubin ? That was your choice and I applaud you taking the day off to travel to the games but the fact remains you are in the minority here and the FAI are well aware of that. Also at a time when the FAI are having a problem filling croker (55,000 Cyprus, 44,000 Georgia) I doubt now is the time for them to be pissing of the majority of the people who go to the games in the first instance.

How are those anger management classes going?

Poorly cos I am missing at lot of them on Wednesdays to go to internationals, friendly and competitive.

Anyway I don't think that Dublin based fans should be give any 'grace' from their block booking obligations just beacuse the game is not on their doorstep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

It's hardly worth discussing whether the FAI are going to force block bookers to take tickets as there are 32,000 LR block booked tickets and 50,000 CP block booked tickets.

Simple maths gives you your answer.

Also you'll find the block booking works on a per stadium scheme and not per game scheme.

There is no such scheme in place for Thomand Park.

So what happens the extra 18,000 added to the list for croker when they move back to lansdowne ? They can hardly be kept on this list as that would be the whole 50,000 seats gone and none to the opposition or the general public ?

• Advertisement

The old Lansdowne block booking will come back into play once we move back. Anyone on this list who has been getting extra tickets since the CP move will revert back to their Lansdowne amount and anyone on the waiting list who has been on the CP block booking will be back on the waiting list.

A number of people on the waiting list will be accommodated in the new stadium, it's not known how many yet.

Old Lansdowne block booking = 32,000
    New Lansdowne capacity for block booking = 35,000

Obviously some of the old block booking will move to premium level (corporate etc..,) which will free up some seats as well as the odd 3,000 new capacity available.

There won't be any general public sale for competitive soccer games in the new Lansdowne.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    The old Lansdowne block booking will come back into play once we move back. Anyone on this list who has been getting extra tickets since the CP move will revert back to their Lansdowne amount and anyone on the waiting list who has been on the CP block booking will be back on the waiting list.

A number of people on the waiting list will be accommodated in the new stadium, it's not known how many yet.

Old Lansdowne block booking = 32,000
    New Lansdowne capacity for block booking = 35,000

Obviously some of the old block booking will move to premium level (corporate etc..,) which will free up some seats as well as the odd 3,000 new capacity available.

There won't be any general public sale for competitive soccer games in the new Lansdowne.

I dont get it. What about the other 15,000 odd thousand. No way the FAI could ever shift that amount of corporate packages.

I dont get it. What about the other 15,000 odd thousand. No way the FAI could ever shift that amount of corporate packages.
    5,000 away allocation - FAI have said any not taken up won't go on sale as segregation would be an issue. Obviously this might be worked on, tickets to be offered to waiting list such as in the past.

10,000 premium, we can only guess at how many will remain unsold but the prices for a single match will be vastly inflated to cover any short comings in the seat not being sold, you'd imagine waiting list holders will be offered on a game by game basis on the understanding that if the seat is sold your back on the waiting list.

Still can't see anything going on sale to the general public, and unlike the old Lansdowne where attendance increased for friendlies and allowed a general sale your not going to see this with the new stadium.

Advertisement