Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Empire Total War (Demo) Load times

Options
  • 02-03-2009 3:48pm

I got this Demo the other day, the game is great but the load times are horrible. I have yet to play a land battle as it has crashed twice.
    Anybody hear if these load times will be on the full version ? ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I heard they might be longer as some of the more detailed graphical assets weren't included in the demo. What machine are you it on?

I am running

AMD nForce 570 Base
    + AMD Phenom 9500 (4 x 2.2GHz)
    + RaidMax Sagitta
    + ASUS M2N SLI
    + Standard 500W
    + 500Mb GeForce 9800GT
    + 500Gb Serial-ATA
    + 4GB (4 x 1GB) DDR2 667MHz
    + Windows Vista Home Basic 64bit

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

They will be alot shorter in retail. The files arent extracted when you download the demo and it takes ages for everything to load...even the main menu. If its bothering you, there is a guide out there where you can extract everything and drastically lower the load times. The full game is out tomorrow though so I wouldnt bother at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I am running

AMD nForce 570 Base
    + AMD Phenom 9500 (4 x 2.2GHz)
    + RaidMax Sagitta
    + ASUS M2N SLI
    + Standard 500W
    + 500Mb GeForce 9800GT
    + 500Gb Serial-ATA
    + 4GB (4 x 1GB) DDR2 667MHz
    + Windows Vista Home Basic 64bit

The obvious thing would be the fact you're runnig a 64 bit OS, and they're still almost a joke when it comes to compatibility. That said, I'm sure the full game will run on it, even if a patch is needed to ensure it runs smoothly. Demos tend to be poorly optimized for anything but the bread and butter system specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

i have to correct you about vista 64bit. this is the best os i have ever used, i have not found any application which i was unable to use.

also i have heard that the load times are improved in the full game.

Totol war demos are all ways really bad performance wise. they are using code from a few months ago and it has not been optimzed

load times for with the demo were about 40 seconds for me

vista 64 home premium
    4gb ram
    10k rapter hdd
    e8400 cpu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Griffin87 wrote: »
    i have to correct you about vista 64bit. this is the best os i have ever used, i have not found any application which i was unable to use.

also i have heard that the load times are improved in the full game.

Totol war demos are all ways really bad performance wise. they are using code from a few months ago and it has not been optimzed

load times for with the demo were about 40 seconds for me

vista 64 home premium
    4gb ram
    10k rapter hdd
    e8400 cpu

You, then, have never attempted to run the thousands of legacy games or a few years old software that were never designed for a 64 bit OS. Anything that was 16 bit or even a huge chunk of 32 bit programs go hay-wire on 64 bit.

New programs aren't a huge problem as almost everything coming out has 64 bit compatibility, but before the last couple of years? The amount of people I've seen complain because their 64 bit OS won't work right with software X could fill Croke Park.

In this instance, as most people have a 32 bit OS, and because demos need to be timely rather than perfectly optimized, the Empire demo may well not have had any 64 bit compatibility problems surveyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

The reason for the long load times is because all the game files are packed. Unpacking them will improve loadings times slightly.
    Do it at your own risk. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

whats the full games loading times like?

Advertisement