Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking in front of the Newman Building

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,409 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Thank god for the smkoing ban.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Yeah you used to pretty much gag after just walking though the arts block at one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Red Alert wrote: »
    Yeah you used to pretty much gag after just walking though the arts block at one time.

I think that was most places in the country at one point. No one is contesting the relevance of the smoking ban but the yearly first year pissing and moaning post about having to look at someone smoking 4 or 5 meters away from them or sitting in the one smoking section in the entire campus and moaning about it is getting rather tiresome at this stage.

Also whoever said that the Arts Cafe door are closed because of the 100 smokers outside .... pure lol

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

Tayto2000 wrote: »
    Bullsh1t. What you're saying is "I don't mind breathing in a bit of smoke, why do you?" - Go and read up on the effects of second hand smoke - the smoking ban isn't arbitrary.

oh come on, walking through a bit of smoke is not gonna kill you. You'd probably do more damage to yourself walking through town.

40 years ago, there'd probably be people smoking in lectures. 5 years ago people could smoke in pubs and clubs. Now smokers can't smoke outside buildings? Give me a break. It's a bit of tobacco smoke, get over yourselves...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Tayto2000 wrote: »
    the smoking ban isn't arbitrary.

Well actually it kind of is. There are things that are more dangerous and kill more people and yet are still legal.

• Advertisement

So basically we should allow people to piss on the ground outside the buildings given the rationale that you can just step over it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Red Alert wrote: »
    So basically we should allow people to piss on the ground outside the buildings given the rationale that you can just step over it?

RA your know yourself that saying something like that only confirms that you have no founded points to make . If you want to piss on the ground go ahead. If I dont like it Ill just go in the door where no one pisses

Can I ask, have you the same issue with smoke when walking into the student bar? I am wondering because you'd think by this thread that smoking only happens at the arts block and no where else in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

Grimes wrote: »
    I think that was most places in the country at one point. No one is contesting the relevance of the smoking ban but the yearly first year pissing and moaning post about having to look at someone smoking 4 or 5 meters away from them or sitting in the one smoking section in the entire campus and moaning about it is getting rather tiresome at this stage.

The crux of the matter is that smoking isn't just a habit that impacts on the smoker; it is well documented that second-hand smoke is dangerous to those in the vicinity of smokers. This thread isn't "pissing and moaning" about having to look at smokers sitting smoking in a designated area; it's about having to walk through the smoke of people who are flaunting the ban by smoking in a designated non-smoking area which is the main entrance to one of the busiest buildings on campus.

The student bar outside is not a designated no-smoking area. My problem is with people who decide that they'll selectively ignore no-smoking signs then complaining when others pull them up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

RA your know yourself that saying something like that only confirms that you have no founded points to make . If you want to piss on the ground go ahead. If I dont like it Ill just go in the door where no one pisses

I don't think it's RA who has no point to make, so far the best argument for smoking at Arts has been 'get over it'. Wow, outstanding logic there.

Red Alert was being a little coy there as well, a more accurate analogy would be to make sure it's not possible to go in through either of the main front doors without getting sprayed with piss. 'Ah, sure it's only a bit of piss, it won't kill you!'

100 people at the front of Arts at peak times is unrealistic? I invite you to do a headcount count during one of the daily peak times, say 11am during first semester. Given that the theatres alone hold a bit less than 2000, and not including the classrooms upstairs or any staff members or visitors in the building, 100 over the course of the break is a relatively small number.
    Can I ask, have you the same issue with smoke when walking into the student bar? I am wondering because you'd think by this thread that smoking only happens at the arts block and no where else in the country.

No. The area at the bar is not enclosed and doesn't trap smoke in the same way the front of Arts does. Smokers at the bar do not go all at once en masse and create clouds of smoke which blow back into the building and cause the doors to be locked. Nor is it strictly necessary to go into the bar to go to class or study. And of course, the area at the bar is a designated smoking area with proper cover and bins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I'm not a frequent smoker but before I did I never had any problem with people smoking in that area, they usually sit on the walls rather than blowing smoke in your face as you walk in...

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭HappyCrackHead

There are 5 seperate entrances to the Arts building, smokers tend to congregate mostly around two of these, outside the arts cafe. if you object to smokers near the entrance use one of the others.

I've been in ucd for 5 years, i have always smoked at the wall, i've always been courteous not to blow smoke in peoples faces etc., to smoke around kids or people who are astmatics or have respitory problems.

HOWEVER. If i am smoking a cigarette in my usual spot and someone chooses to sit next to me and then complains about my smoking... well they have words for people like that. my personal favourite is R-tard.

You can enjoy all the clean air once you get inside or 2 feet away from the area.

Smokers in my experience are happier than non-smokers. Maybe those of you moaning should try it and see the other perspective.

(the wonderful self defeating argument)

Smokers in my experience are happier than non-smokers. Maybe those of you moaning should try it and see the other perspective.

(the wonderful self defeating argument)

Really? They all seem to complain a lot.

Advertisement