Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to live around Sligo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭rio-rose

After spending the past few days driving around Skreen, North Sligo, Dromahair, I'd also be interesting in checking out the suburbs of the town itself before coming to a decision.

We are looking for a 5-6 bedroom house, in a quiet location; any suggestions?

i live in skreen, and have to say its a beautiful area.. the beach is second to none here..

people are nice and we have ( wat satistics say) the most modern community centre in sligo
    with a football pitch, soceer pitch, a state of the art running track, large playground and several aminities going on most evening

and a pub oppside it:eek:

i know their's a few houses for sale if your interested i will get info for you

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭HiKite

Hi Rio-Rose, thanks for the post, we have been down in Skreen recently and loved it. Any info you have on houses for sale in this area would be greatly appreciated, just PM me. Cheers..

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

If you prefer rolling hills, rivers and lakes then try Riverstown ...
    Nice village, great community
    Fixed line Broadband and decent o2 mobile broadband
    10 minutes drive to at least 3 fishing lakes
    15-20 minutes from Sligo
    but also only 20 mins to Carrick on Shannon
    Forest Park in boyle 15 minutes away
    Also Union Wood nice for walks, jogs
    I could go on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

GG66 wrote: »
    15-20 minutes from Sligo
    I could go on

Riverstown +1
    Skreen +1
    Strandhill +1
    Union Wood. Wonderful place for a walk. Btw there planning request for a telecoms mast there at the moment afaik. People would need to get scribbling. I know shocking. :eek::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭rio-rose

hey guy's

looks like a competation is starting here:D

trying to get futuresounds to move to their area with everyone promoting wat their village is like, unlike for skreen, as skreen unfortunally hasnt even got the slighist inkling of a village :eek:
    so let me refraze that their village or town land:rolleyes:

good luck all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Great info lads, Daft.ie is completely useless as far as Sligo goes.
    Havent had a chance to get my hands on the local papers yet,

GG66 wrote: »
    15-20 minutes from Sligo
    I could go on

Oh Yeah, house prices are generally lower than north sligo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭esskay

Your only option for Broadband in Maugherow is from Fastcom afaik. It's wireless (2Mb up and down) and though it suffered from oversubscription for a while they seem to have sorted it out. No download limits either. There is a coverage map on their site too.

If your in the town or most of the surrounding villages you can get most of the usual providers over the telephone line.

Digiweb also offer wireless and wired broadband in other parts of Sligo and are worth checking out if you don't move to Maugherow.

Esskay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

esskay wrote: »
    Your only option for Broadband in Maugherow is from Fastcom afaik. It's wireless (2Mb up and down) and though it suffered from oversubscription for a while they seem to have sorted it out. No download limits either. There is a coverage map on their site too.

If your in the town or most of the surrounding villages you can get most of the usual providers over the telephone line.

Digiweb also offer wireless and wired broadband in other parts of Sligo and are worth checking out if you don't move to Maugherow.

Esskay

I've got fastcom here in Coolaney - it's fine during the day, slowish at peak times & at almost €40 a month, a complete rip-off. A bit of competition would be nice.

Still, it's a nice place to live!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭tommmy

hey.so i hav read a few comments and well im just going to give my 2 cents.Rosses point is cool a bit of a trek though if your heading to th i.t.

You should try strandhill its pretty cool not that expensive and not that far to the i.t. if you go down by the sea road.
    its a nice place to be like our very own summer bay.

Aright laters folks good luck with your decision who ever started this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

To be honest its actually probably easier to get to the I.T from Rosses Point than it is from Strandhill.

I'd recommend looking at places around North Sligo or out the Dromahair road or Old Manorhamilton Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

bobcar61 wrote: »
    To be honest its actually probably easier to get to the I.T from Rosses Point than it is from Strandhill.

I'd recommend looking at places around North Sligo or out the Dromahair road or Old Manorhamilton Road.

Hooray a mann of wisdom our bob!!! Hahaha did I win now with Dromahair and what is the price??

Was quoted 650 for a two bed apt in Strandhill. Thought it was a but saucy to be honest even if prices have dropped from the alleged 750 it was last year

Hooray a mann of wisdom our bob!!! Hahaha did I win now with Dromahair and what is the price??

ah forget been wise man.Sher you cant beat a bit of strandhill.its kinda like im working for the touist board promoting strandhill.i will reasure you all im not.im not guys.really.im not.............

Im not,Sorry lost the run of myself there ara go with what suits ya whatever floats your boat.but sea,surf,sand the occasional hot day where better than to be.

tommmy wrote: »
    ah forget been wise man.Sher you cant beat a bit of strandhill.its kinda like im working for the touist board promoting strandhill.i will reasure you all im not.im not guys.really.im not.............

Im not,Sorry lost the run of myself there ara go with what suits ya whatever floats your boat.but sea,surf,sand the occasional hot day where better than to be.

So you do work for the tourist board then...lol:D:D:D

Id rather be a bit inland from Strandhill most days of the year,its awful on windy,cold days which is most days of the year.
    Sure on the very rare "hot" sunny day can't we just drive out there:)

So you do work for the tourist board then...lol:D:D:D

Id rather be a bit inland from Strandhill most days of the year,its awful on windy,cold days which is most days of the year.
    Sure on the very rare "hot" sunny day can't we just drive out there:)

no i dont but you could probaly think that aright:D.good point point bud if we do get the hot sunny day that is very rare:rolleyes: anyays you can as you said drive out there:)

I think i will leave it at that theres not much more i can say on that

tommmy wrote: »

I have to admit strandhill is great. We go there a lot, I like the beach when it's storming. Our dogs dont agree though (the storming bit)

Well, I finally found somewhere. Double room in a nice house in Strandhill. The people in the house seem good fun. Bring on the summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

congrats! Strandhill is lovely, I'd love to spend the summer there myself :)

Well, I finally found somewhere. Double room in a nice house in Strandhill. The people in the house seem good fun. Bring on the summer!

congrats, we're jealous!!! love strandhill

• Advertisement

Strandhill is a nice place:)

Do you mind me asking what it's costing you per month?

Congrats on finding a place though,nice location:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Strandhill is a nice place:)

Do you mind me asking what it's costing you per month

I have a friend who lives out there with her husband... costs her about 700 a month

Double room was Eur 270/month, was looking every day on daft.ie Sligo Champion etc were not very good.

I also looked at an apartment right down beside the beach behind The Strand bar, they were looking for 650/month. I offered 600 but they would not budge. That was two weeks ago and yesterday it was still for rent so they're already down a months rent. Estate agents played that one badly. If I was a landlord trying to rent the place I'd listen to the estate agent if they would bother to tell me to cop on and take the money.

Double room was Eur 270/month, was looking every day on daft.ie Sligo Champion etc were not very good.

I also looked at an apartment right down beside the beach behind The Strand bar, they were looking for 650/month. I offered 600 but they would not budge. That was two weeks ago and yesterday it was still for rent so they're already down a months rent. Estate agents played that one badly. If I was a landlord trying to rent the place I'd listen to the estate agent if they would bother to tell me to cop on and take the money.

Hahaha that so stupid!! if they dont rent it out in a month they lose the difference for a year, by two months 2 year etc. Don't think they can calculate to well.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭HiKite

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Why do people have an aversion to living in Sligo town itself? It is the only large town in Ireland that is shrinking, population wise, not growing. It would better to live close to decent public transport, better for less reliance on the car, close to the amenities Sligo has to offer and would also build up the critical mass the town is crying out for.

Sligo has the potential to become the next Galway, but it's being held back. People all wanting to live around, but not in, the town isn't helping this.

If we were to live in the burbs, 2-5 miles out, any suggestions? Ta!

If we were to live in the burbs, 2-5 miles out, any suggestions? Ta!

Trying to be like Galway has been one of Sligo's big problems development wise. Sprawling suburbs with out of town warehouses and shopping. Galway is a mess from a planning point of view....

2 miles from Sligo centre and your on the edge of town. 5 miles and you're in Ballisodare, strandhill or Rosses Point. Strandhill road is a nice part of town, I expect somewhere on the way out to Hazelwood or Slish Wood would be nice as well. Close to town with nice woodland walks

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Close to Town try Riverside. Beautiful area 3 to 10 mins walk from town. Lidl and Dunnes handy, schools too, 2 x pubs & Thai food, Aisan shop, walks in Doorly park, fishing. Put a boat on the river for Lough Gill. Can have a semi rural feel in parts, I saw a big Dog fox in Broad daylight in the field across from the Blue last Sunday. The houses are small but rents are reasonable.

Close to Town try Riverside. Beautiful area 3 to 10 mins walk from town. Lidl and Dunnes handy, schools too, 2 x pubs & Thai food, Aisan shop, walks in Doorly park, fishing. Put a boat on the river for Lough Gill. Can have a semi rural feel in parts, I saw a big Dog fox in Broad daylight in the field across from the Blue last Sunday. The houses are small but rents are reasonable.

Where is the asian shop? Is that the one on the market yard? if not where is it?

I didn't think there was an Asian shop down that direction either,just the Thai restaurant.
    Top Part used to be down that way didn't they?

I don't think I would have suggested Riverside to be the best place to live around Sligo.
    There are far more scenic areas.It's grand if you don't have a car but most people do so further out of town is nicer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Where is the asian shop? Is that the one on the market yard? if not where is it?
    Old galaxy shop
    Galaxy

Advertisement