Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Council

Options
  • 02-03-2009 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,512 ✭✭✭✭

Why is National Council being held in a different country (ie up North)?

I asked my group leader this and he said "scouting is a brotherhood ...............national boundaries are just an administrative necessity":rolleyes:

I am more of the opinion they got it much much cheaper up there compared to anywhere down south. Especially since Northern Ireland scouts are affiliated to the UK not ROI.

Any ideas:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Shoie

Why is National Council being held in a different country (ie up North)?

I asked my group leader this and he said "scouting is a brotherhood ...............national boundaries are just an administrative necessity":rolleyes:

I am more of the opinion they got it much much cheaper up there compared to anywhere down south. Especially since Northern Ireland scouts are affiliated to the UK not ROI.

Any ideas:confused:

Scouting Ireland is a 32 county organisation and we are all one body of Scouts or brotherhood as your GL put it.

As to why is it being help in the North, my recollection is that a few years ago a decision was made that each province will take turns in hosting Nation Council. This year it is the Northern Provinces turn which includes the six Northern Ireland Counties.

Members of Scouting Ireland in the six Counties are NOT affiliated to any UK Scouting Organisation. Yes some associations in the six Counties are affiliated to UK Scouts but not SI members.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,512 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

scouts.ie wrote:
    Scouting Ireland has over 40,000 members across Ireland, including Northern Ireland where Scouting Ireland works in partnership with the Scout Association Northern Ireland, a part of the United Kingdom Scout Association.

Ah I see got this off the website.

I just read it wrong the first time I checked it which led to the OP

Advertisement