If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boardies deal - Wireless Music Streamer - 80% off original RRP!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Much appreciated. If possible, send me a PM when they're in and I'll drop in to collect them. Other than that I'll check the thread in a few days/week.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Richie Blackmor

Last week I collected two of these returned SLA5520s from the Philips Shop (thanks Ash!) on the clear understanding that the internet radio function may not work properly.
    One of them worked immediately after setup and I perfomed a software upgrade (heart stopping moment when reconfiguring after update wondering if it would still work - it did!).
    The other refused to register for internet radio (streamed music files from pc perfectly). I tried a few tricks like, factory reset and trying with a completely new email address, never used before but still no success. I tried from different access points, both WEP and WPA. I had given up (was running out of curses and obscenities) and was happy, really it have it as a file streamer. Then I just tried it again tonight, with the same email address as used for the first one and it worked!!!! (another test of my cardio-vascular system during a software update and it still worked!). Now I can stream a different internet radio channel to each ear :D
    Many thanks, Ash, from a very late arriver to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭kdobey

Hi.

I picked up my SLA today - infact when I went in I was over come and took away two of them. I just finished setting the second one up and they're both streaming internet radio just fine (listening to BBC radio5[1]). HOWEVER - it should be noted the FIRMWARE update[2] was neccessary BUT there lots of good reasons to update the firmware - uPnP/DLNA support is better[3] too.

Here are some details for anyone interested.....

Updating the firmware is a two (or three) step process you first need to register your device. That means going to internet radio on the menu entering your email address when prompted (useful tip: Track back key is delete backspace) then philips will sent you an email[4]. (i got the email in about 10 minutes). Go on the site via the link complete the web form - including setting a password then log off).

Now go back into internet radio on the device (a reboot might be a good idea - not sure). At this point your asked for your email address I spent ages at this point thinking it hadn't worked and going back to the philips web site - however - you need to enter the same email address but then instead - this time - you'll get prompted for your password you put on the website. Press ok and you get put back to the home menu. The third time you go in "internet radio" you see a list of internet radio providers - on the old firmware the only one is vTuner. At this point you'll find that none of the stations work (I tried a number). Now press settings and scroll down to the last item (or scroll up one - it wraps around). to "update firmware". Click this sit back and wait a few minutes - after a few minutes it comes back and you need to do the whole wifi set up again and go do the whole enter my email address thing again (just once with your password this time).

Since some one mentioned it, I did take a look to see if liverpool city radio was listed and if it would play but it's not BUT ALL is not lost - you can go to the Philips site and set up extra stations for your own SLA - just pop in the url etc. also mark certain stations favorites etc. With most of these players - due to rights issues - may BBC stations will not play to non-UK ip addresses - if you can hear it via your PC (winamp or WMP) then it will probaly work with this device. (unless it's using real (spit) audio codec).

I've not even looked at the cd that came with it - but from googleing i think it's best avoided. If you got vista or WMP 11 (or windows 7) they all have build it uPnP (DLNA) servers built in. Other wise you could try google Meida Server gmediaserver (never tried it myself). OR if (like me) you have a NAS on your network it might have server software.

In summary and by way of comparison, I also have a freecom musicpal which has many more little features then this and also has a (not great) speaker. The Musicpal has some nice stuff (weather rss feeds etc) and is a much more open platform but the DLNA stuff is buggy.
    The SLA on the other hand has better DLNA support a crappy philips website forced upon you but much better vTuner interface eg. when you go to the RTE station you don't just listen to what's on now - it also lists certain programs from the last few days so i can listen to last thursdays morning ireland or Marian Fu-loopy etc. - a pretty nice addition really. I also thing the philips is a bit slower interface (but still fine).

Sorry for the large brain dump - but I thougth it might help some of you guys out. Ash - I doubt these units are defective as Internet radio devices - but who can say for sure.

In all I'm very happy with purchase - Thanks guys. It's a fantastic bargain when you compare to similar devices.

Now I should go read the little manual I guess!!!
    Rgds
    Kevin

[1] Most of the principle BBC stations will not work on this or any (probably) internet radio device (using a UK proxy may by pass this)

[2] Both mine came with version software version 3.0.23.5223/Bootloader ver 3/ H/w version 157.1. After the update they are s/w ver 3.0.28.5944 (dated 29.09.2006)

[3] uPnP (Universal PLug and Play) means it will behave as a DLNA Media Renderer Device. It did this OK-ish on the old firmware but better on the new firmware. [Where better means a number of things but in summary old firmware windows 7 "play to" feature works with local content only. On new firmware windows 7 "play to" still works AND my nokia phone works as a DLNA control point (for local and remote content).

[4] While I didn't try it - if you not getting the email it may because of some spam blocker. Try going to the philips web site http://www.support.philips.com/support/html/index_gb_en.html (register mu product) and setting up and account manually when using the email address and password in step 2 of the process as described. I used the same username and password for the second DLA however firmware updated didn't work until after i changed the sla's device name and hard rebooted it (hold the power button for a few seconds - or yank the plug).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

kdobey wrote: »
    Hi.

Updating the firmware is a two (or three) step process you first need to register your device. That means going to internet radio on the menu entering your email address when prompted (useful tip: Track back key is delete backspace) then philips will sent you an email[4]. (i got the email in about 10 minutes). Go on the site via the link complete the web form - including setting a password then log off).

I've not even looked at the cd that came with it - but from googleing i think it's best avoided.
    I'm just confused with these 2 parts. When you say go Internet radio do you mean on the Philips software? As you mention later that you haven't used the CD, does that mean you downloaded the software or am I missing something? :)

Thanks for all the help above. I'm going to follow it to the letter to see if I get mine working.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Ash,
    I setup the NP1100 last nite and had the internet radio up and running in under 10 mins. Awesome bit of kit and much easier to navigate than the previous model.
    Thanks again for this offer.

HJ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭kdobey

quarryman wrote: »
    I'm just confused with these 2 parts. When you say go Internet radio do you mean on the Philips software? As you mention later that you haven't used the CD, does that mean you downloaded the software or am I missing something? :)

Thanks for all the help above. I'm going to follow it to the letter to see if I get mine working.

Hi quarryman.
    In all cases where I say "internet radio" I mean entering this menu item on the SLA 5520 using the remote control.

The only other thing you *need* to use is the the Philips website usually by following the link from the email you get to register your device (or else manually register as I suggested using the philips website).

So in summary - no I didn't download any software. You don't need any software for the philips to stream internet radio stations (which is the whole point).

The only software you need is a uPnP media server for playing music from your PC - vista has this build in (or wmp11 on xp). This software is for streaming your own mp3/wma music media from your pc (or NAS). By all accounts don't use the philips server software. (but i'm guessing you already have this working).

Good Luck
    Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Folks

It would seem that Philips have sorted the Internet Radio issue that was reported here on this site - Goes to show the power of the Boardies:)

For all those that have an SLA5520 you may want to upgrade to the latest firmware and have another shot at it.

thanks to Kdobey and the others who have posted hwo to do it.

Cheers

Ash

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

LOL, after all that, Philips fixed the registration server problems? I'm surprised they did, since it would seem that the reg servers were having problems for a few months.

Anyway, good to see Philips have addressed the problem.

That now means many more have availed of the fantastic Internet Radios for 25 measly euro! :D

Nice one, Ash!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i think the registration servers are up and down if you look at the streamium forums they seem to work for a few days then down for months as you say byte they may have fixed them but if you got it working great , i tried for 2 weeks and couldn't get any connection. their seems to be a problem with droppping registrations as well.

my np1100 is great btw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

Hi Ash, do you have any of those SLA5520s left? If you do I'd like to buy one off you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

i think the registration servers are up and down if you look at the streamium forums they seem to work for a few days then down for months as you say byte they may have fixed them but if you got it working great , i tried for 2 weeks and couldn't get any connection. their seems to be a problem with droppping registrations as well.

my np1100 is great btw
    Oh aye, for the while I had my SLA5520's, it wouldn't register, regardless of the amount of times tried. The replacement NP1100 registered first time though (did I say thanks? :D), which was pleasing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I have just loaded up Plug Player on my ipod touch, a nice little upnp media controller, works like a dream to remote control the streamium!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

AshMiller wrote: »
    Hi Curraghboy your friend Fenris is collecting yours as we speak!

The_ging, no worries. Do keep looking in to the richersounds treads as we'll be putting up more deals as we get 'em.

Superscouse - just keep in mind that the Internet radio function is very touch and go (seems mostly no-go) your welcome to one on the understanding that I'm NOT selling them as Internet Radio streamers.

Hazbot - your 2x SLA were posted out to you this am, should land on your doorstep soon. Enjoy

Cheers
    Ash

Thats fine. I would like one please. I can collect from Dame St but it will probably be next week now.

Hope thats ok

superscouse

Hi folks

All the SLA5520 I have at this time sre reserved BUT I'm expecting about 6 more back so once I have them I'll set one aside for anyone who wants one.

Edanto, Superscouse and MikeCork2009 your on my list

Cheers
    Ash

Nice one. Let us know when they are in and I will get into you ASAP

Thanks

Jeff Superscouse

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭LuckyCharms

Hey Ash, if you get anymore of those , put me down for 2 Philips SLA5520 if you can .
    Cheers

Hi Guys and Gals

The following SLA5520 are on reserve.
    One each for the time being.

Edanto
    Superscose
    MikeCork2009
    Luckycharms

Once I have stock I'll let you know

Cheers
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Digilink

Hey Ash, can you put me down for 1 Philips SLA5520 if you are getting anymore back. Thanks

Hi folks

The list grows.....

Edanto
    Superscouse
    MikeCork2009
    Luckycharms
    Digilink

I'll let you know when I have them ready to roll

Cheers
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭joeswatch

Hi Ash,
    Could you throw my name in the pot for the 'sixth' SLA5520?
    Thanks!
    Joeswatch

• Advertisement

Hi all

Another name on the reserved list

Edanto
    Superscouse
    MikeCork2009
    Luckycharms
    Digilink
    Joeswatch

Thanks folks I'll let you know in turn as soon as I have some back.

Happy Easter to all.

atb
    Ash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Sent you a PM Ash...sorry been away from a PC all week. Let me know the craic and I'll stick this one in the post. Cheers.

Hi Wertz

pm sent to you.

Cheers
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Ash, many thanks for the NP1100 which I picked up on Saturday. Brought it home today, plugged it in, connected it to my WiFi (why, oh why, did I choose a 31-character PSK?) and got connected to internet radio straight away. No hassle, no logins, no problems - couldn't be happier.

And the service was A1, could not be faulted. I expect I will be back (and if I'd been in time for one of the HDD DVD recorders, it would have been sooner rather than later).

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Thanks Ash, picked up my NP1100 yesterday plugged it in and straight away internet radio.

Will keep the wife happy for a bit

Cheers

Hi Folks

Superscouse, MikeCork2009 and Luckycharms, I have a SLA5520 instock and reserved for you.

Just mention your Boards name when you call in to collect them.

Cheers
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Guessing ive missed the boat, all the SLA's gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Hi Ash,

I sent you a PM asking you to order me one too...

Please check it out and let me know if it is ok....

Thanks

AshMiller wrote: »
    Hi Folks

Superscouse, MikeCork2009 and Luckycharms, I have a SLA5520 instock and reserved for you.

Just mention your Boards name when you call in to collect them.

Cheers
    Ash

Great, will be in ASAP

Thanks

Jeff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Darcy Dougal

Hi Ash
    I'll take a Philips SLA5520 please if theres any left please
    Thanks

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.