Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rehearsal space ideas

Options
  • 02-03-2009 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any ideas for a free/cheap rehearsal space needed for 4 hours?
    A friend is doing a theatre/art project, and a group of them, 6 or less need a space on a weekend daytime. Initially a one off for a few hours. Social space room may be a bit small, and I'm guessing the usual haunts of Arts Centre etc are a bit pricey for a few hours.
    I'm thinking of a hotel function room or something that may let them have space for cheap. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I went to drumming class after hours in the school behind La Salsa on Mary street, can't remember the name now. Maybe schools will let you rehearse cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Thanks :) Yeah, I was thinking more hotels as schools would have to open especially. But if they already have extra curricular stuff on, maybe that would work. I think the guys can only do a weekend, so I will pass any suggestions on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I think there are rehearsal rooms in town somewhere called The Forge or something like that....?

You mean The Forge Recording Studio on New Rd?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

The Forge has practice rooms as well as a recording space. It's €30 for three hours/€25 for two and a half. I'd imagine it might be a bit noisy if you were a theatre group and there was a band in the next room though.

edit: actually I don't imagine, I know it'd be noisy! Whether it'd be distractingly noisy depends on the people I suppose. And the bass amp in the small room picks up the PA from the big room which can be amusing.

• Advertisement

Yeah, a dance space or a conference room would be more suitable. There will be noise, I'd say, but more movement.

I was trying to think of somewhere unconventional for them in case they needed it ongoing. A hotel, so it may give them a bit of bar biz / coffee biz in the day.

Claddagh Hall would probably work.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Upstairs at Richardson's on Eyre Square? (Don't know how cheap it is, but it's so grotty that it ought to be!)

Yeah, Richardsons is a favourite of the 'drinking actor' ;)

Might be a bit hardcore for these guys, but I will give it a mention.

Any of the littler hotels have a room? biko Claddagh hall would be great - not sure if it is too big (more money). Know where they can contact Claddagh hall folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭claireeney

how bout the gaf youth cafe on eglington street? i know some bands and stuff practice there. they're pretty easy going id say.

• Advertisement

Thanks claireeney :)
    These folks are mixed age, but no harm asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

There's rooms in Galway Social Space too, I know some folks who've rehearsed stuff like this there..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Hi, I'm a member of the rowing club in woodquay in we have a hall, we hire out if you drop me a pm, i can let you know the pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

rain on wrote: »
    The Forge has practice rooms as well as a recording space. It's €30 for three hours/€25 for two and a half. I'd imagine it might be a bit noisy if you were a theatre group and there was a band in the next room though.

edit: actually I don't imagine, I know it'd be noisy! Whether it'd be distractingly noisy depends on the people I suppose. And the bass amp in the small room picks up the PA from the big room which can be amusing.
    The rehearsal rooms in The Forge are pretty well sound-proofed from what I remember. Sure you can hear the band in the other room but once you're concentrating on what you're supposed to be doing you should be fine!

malice_ wrote: »
    The rehearsal rooms in The Forge are pretty well sound-proofed from what I remember. Sure you can hear the band in the other room but once you're concentrating on what you're supposed to be doing you should be fine!

Emm, best to start with a blank canvas, no? ;)

It's one thing if it's a jam and that's grand. I'm not sure what exactly they're doing, but if a band is in the next room and you're at a play, it's distracting!
    That being said, I heard the Forge is great for bands.

There's rooms in Galway Social Space too, I know some folks who've rehearsed stuff like this there..

Even the red room is a bit small for them Tony, thanks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Yeah it's never been an issue for us because we make an unholy racket anyway, but personally I'd find it very distracting to be trying to rehearse drama type stuff and listening to some crowd's odyssey through the world of adult-oriented rock at the same time ;)

The Forge is much better soundproofed than most other places I've been though in fairness.

inisboffin wrote: »
    Emm, best to start with a blank canvas, no? ;)
    This is probably just me being a bit thick but I don't know what you mean by this. Could you elaborate?
    rain on wrote: »
    personally I'd find it very distracting to be trying to rehearse drama type stuff and listening to some crowd's odyssey through the world of adult-oriented rock at the same time ;)
    I've never tried to do that but you're probably right about it being distracting :).

This is probably just me being a bit thick but I don't know what you mean by this. Could you elaborate?

I've never tried to do that but you're probably right about it being distracting :).

Sorry, was trying to be a bit arty :p
    I meant if it is a theatre or dance thing and they are 'making' it from scratch, half of it is influenced by what people come up with vocally (and even the silent bits), so if it is already a 'non-neutral' space (ie loud rock coming in) then concentration on the softer bits is really hard.
    Try and imagine quiet bits of good films with Bon Jovi playing...a whole different film
    (actually could be hilarious, if done intentionally..brilliant!:p)

inisboffin wrote: »
    Sorry, was trying to be a bit arty :p
    I meant if it is a theatre or dance thing and they are 'making' it from scratch, half of it is influenced by what people come up with vocally (and even the silent bits), so if it is already a 'non-neutral' space (ie loud rock coming in) then concentration on the softer bits is really hard.
    Try and imagine quiet bits of good films with Bon Jovi playing...a whole different film
    (actually could be hilarious, if done intentionally..brilliant!:p)
    Ah yes, I see what you mean now :). You're right, it could be quite funny to watch it but I'd imagine if you were part of the group trying to work then it would be very annoying

• Advertisement
Advertisement