Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some basic Questions.

• 02-03-2009 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

I'm currently re-evaluting religion in my life. I used to be quite religious (not down your throat) but after 2-3 years of questioning and then suddenly getting ill I think I'm agnostic or else 'not interested' in worshiping the Abrahamic God however I realise that this is mostly from a Judeo-Christian point of view and that followers of Islam also worship God and that their understanding of him may be more accurate.

So I have a few basic questions, I'm not promising to convert or anything but I would like to further my understanding before ruling out an option. I just require basic answers and I daren't look for them elsewhere as I will get mired down in hyperdetail as well as the fact that a single source would be less reliable than a moderated forum;

Why is God worthy of worship and how do you know. Is it *necessary* to worship him and why is this so (eg in christianity god is supposed to love you because the bible says so and if because of this you should worship him but you will go to hell if you dont)

What is the islamic concept of sins and is their 'original sin' [the belief that humanity is inherently flawed/broken and only God can fix this flaw]

Aside from the 5 pillars I assume that there is a moral code similar to the 10 commandments yes?

How is the church/clergy/hierarchy organised? Is there a hierarchy?

What are the basic 'denominations' in islam I've heard of Suni Shia and Sufi, but are they still Islam, are some like what protestantism is to catholicsm or what?

Are all of the precepts/tenets of Islam in the Koran?

It it permissible to be pacifist and Islamic or must one be prepared to fight for their beliefs, if properly justified?

I have an illness where I *have* to eat food at regular intervals or die, how does this effect Fasting during the month of Rammadan? Would this make me inferior in the eyes of other Islamic people?

My Girlfriend/hopefully fiancé is a Christian. Are mixed marriages allowed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

These are really great questions. I hope the moderators don't think I'm being cheeky and pre-empting their role, but I think that you will get better answers if people deal with one question at a time rather than trying to provide answers to every question in one post.

For some of these questions, I could give you a "well-informed [ I hope :)] non-Muslim's" response, but I think that you really need answers from practising Muslims, so I hope that the regular Muslim posters on this forum will respond quickly.

When I was starting to find out about Islam a few years ago, one book that I found particularly helpful (don't let the title put you off :D) was The Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding Islam by Yahiya Emerick. The author is, I believe, a convert to Islam, so he would have been asking similar questions to those on your list at some stage in his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Agathon

I think Hivisman is right about dealing with one question at a time.
    Why is God worthy of worship and how do you know. Is it necessary to worship him and why is this so (eg in christianity god is supposed to love you because the bible says so and if because of this you should worship him but you will go to hell if you dont)
    The Creator is worthy of worship because He created you. He provided you with everything in this life. Everything you need to live a prosperous, healthy, successful life is given to you by the Creator. The Muslims belief is encapsulated in the Noble Qur'an. The theme of the Qur'an is basically your first question. It is an obvious first question and that is why it is emphasised in the Qur'an. I suggest you get a good translation and try to work with a knowlegeable person (I'm sure there are many that would be delighted to help in providing you with proper answers). Otherwise we could argue non-stop online about only the first question! I think talking face to face with somebody is more genuine than trying to write answers. But I'll try to answer your questions if you are insisting for now! I just hope you're not the stubborn type!! Arguing for the sake of argument instead of trying to find out answers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

Phototoxin wrote: »
    I have an illness where I *have* to eat food at regular intervals or die, how does this effect Fasting during the month of Rammadan? Would this make me inferior in the eyes of other Islamic people?

The key verse in the Qur'an is Sura Al-Baqarah 2: 185:
    It was the month of Ramadan in which the Qur'an was (first) bestowed from on high as a guidance unto man and a self-evident proof of that guidance, and as the standard by which to discern the true from the false. Hence, whoever of you lives to see this month shall fast throughout it; but he that is ill, or on a journey, (shall fast instead for the same) number of other days. God wills that you shall have ease, and does not will you to suffer hardship; but [He desires] that you complete the number (of days required), and that you extol God for His having guided you aright, and that you render your thanks (unto Him).
    trans. Muhammad Asad The Message of the Qur'an

As I understand it, someone with a chronic medical condition (I think you mentioned over on the Christianity forum that in your case it's diabetes) would not be expected to fast if this would be likely to give rise to medical problems. An acceptable alternative in this case would be to make a donation equivalent to the cost of feeding a person for a day in respect of each day of Ramadan.

I came across two particularly interesting documents on the internet about fasting during Ramadan and diabetes:

To fast or not to fast

Managing diabetes during Ramadan

I hope that these will be helpful.

I'm sure, based on the Muslims that I know, that you would not be regarded as inferior if your medical condition prevented you from fasting - and you would certainly be able to participate in all the other activities that are associated with Ramadan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Abdalhakim

I'd like to have a go at answering this question.
    What is the islamic concept of sins and is their 'original sin' [the belief that humanity is inherently flawed/broken and only God can fix this flaw]

One of the things that attracted me to Islam, having grown up as a Catholic, was that Islam does not recognise the idea of "original sin". Yes, people are flawed and need guidance onto the straight path, but nobody is responsible for the sins of others, only for their own sins. This means that we are not still burdened by the sins of Adam, and hence we didn't need Jesus to die on the cross to redeem us from original sin.

This is all in the Quran, in the story of the creation of Adam. Allah tells us that He told the angels that he would create a representative or deputy on earth (the actual word is khalifah, which literally means a "successor"). The angels protested that this was a bad idea, because the representative would spread mischief and cause bloodshed, but Allah reminded the angels that He alone knows all. Allah ordered the angels to bow down before Adam, but one angel, Iblis, refused. Adam and his wife were placed in the garden of paradise. However, Satan tempted them, and Allah evicted them from the garden.

So far, this is very close to the story in the Old Testament, but then the Quran goes on: "Then learnt Adam from his Lord words of inspiration, and his Lord turned towards him; for he is Oft-Returning, Most Merciful. We [that is, Allah] said: 'Get ye down all from here: and if, as is sure, there comes to you guidance from me, whosoever follows my guidance, on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.' " (Quran 2:37-38).

So unlike the story in the book of Genesis, Adam accepted Allah's guidance, and Allah forgave Adam. Similarly, when you become a Muslim, all your previous sins, committed at a time when you did not know what Allah expects, are forgiven. You start with a clean slate.

After that, well, we are still human and still fallible. But so long as we try to do what Allah has commanded us to do and keep away from what Allah has forbidden, then we should be able to trust in Allah's Grace. If we sin, we can seek His forgiveness, resolve not to repeat the sin, and if appropriate make amends for the effects and consequences of our sin. The important thing here is that it's our sins that matter when Allah judges us on the Day of Reckoning - we will not be held responsible for the sins of our ancestors.

Whatever is true in this is from Allah, and all errors are mine, and I hope that my errors will be corrected and will not be a source of misguidance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

Wow, some interesting questions there, and some that will take quite a while to answer, many I am not qualified to answer, so I will just answer the easier ones as simply as I can:

There is no such thing as original sin in Islam
    Aside from the 5 pillars I assume that there is a moral code similar to the 10 commandments yes?
    Yes, in short follow the Qur'an and the teachings of Prophet Muhammed (PBUH).
    How is the church/clergy/hierarchy organised? Is there a hierarchy?
    There is no church/hierarchy as such. There are no bishops, popes. The leader of each mosque is the Imam who is elected by the people who go to that mosque (I stand to be corrected on this bit)
    Are all of the precepts/tenets of Islam in the Koran?
    - No, the hadith, or teachings and way of life of Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) must be followed also.
    It it permissible to be pacifist and Islamic or must one be prepared to fight for their beliefs, if properly justified?
    - As far as I know pacifist is fine, but maybe you need to elaborate more so we can answer fully.
    - You are not allowed to fast if it will affect your health. You can make the fasts up at a later date. If it is a lont term illness and you have been advised medically never to fast then you should feed one hungry person for each day of fasting you miss in Ramadan.
    My Girlfriend/hopefully fiancé is a Christian. Are mixed marriages allowed?
    Muslim men can marry Christian or Jewish women

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

The Creator is worthy of worship because He created you. He provided you with everything in this life. Everything you need to live a prosperous, healthy, successful life is given to you by the Creator. The Muslims belief is encapsulated in the Noble Qur'an. The theme of the Qur'an is basically your first question. It is an obvious first question and that is why it is emphasised in the Qur'an. I suggest you get a good translation and try to work with a knowlegeable person (I'm sure there are many that would be delighted to help in providing you with proper answers). Otherwise we could argue non-stop online about only the first question! I think talking face to face with somebody is more genuine than trying to write answers. But I'll try to answer your questions if you are insisting for now! I just hope you're not the stubborn type!! Arguing for the sake of argument instead of trying to find out answers.

I am extremely stubborn though I find arguing helps me to understand things better. But I thank you for answering my question although I must disagree with the part about him providing me with everything i need to have a healthy life as I need insulin which the secular government provides not God.
    As I understand it, someone with a chronic medical condition (I think you mentioned over on the Christianity forum that in your case it's diabetes) would not be expected to fast if this would be likely to give rise to medical problems. An acceptable alternative in this case would be to make a donation equivalent to the cost of feeding a person for a day in respect of each day of Ramadan.

That is quite... understanding. And interesting about the bloodletting for testing sugar (which I have to do at least 4 times per day). So I woudlnt be able to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 AbuBakr

Irishconvert is right to say that the moral code of Islam is contained in the Qur’an and the teachings of the Prophet Muhammad (may the blessings of Allah and peace be on him). In fact, the Qur’an contains equivalents to all but one of the 10 commandments.

The first commandment is “you shall have no other gods besides me”. It is absolutely central to Islam that Allah (may he be glorified and exalted) is One – there is nothing worthy of worship except Almighty Allah. The one unforgivable sin is shirk, that is, to associate other “gods” with Allah – to claim that Allah has partners. See Sura An-Nisa 4:48.

The second commandment is “you shall not make for yourself an idol . . . you shall not bow down to them or worship them”. There are many verses in the Qur’an that back this up, for example Sura Al-An’am 6:103: “No vision can grasp Him [Allah]. But His grasp is over all vision: He is above all comprehension, yet is acquainted with all things”, and Sura Ibrahim 14:35: “Remember Ibrahim said: O my Lord! Make this city one of peace and security: And preserve me and my sons from worshipping idols.” Bowing down to idols would be a form of shirk. Indeed, Muslims believe that we should not attempt to make images of any of the Prophets (peace be upon them).

The third commandment is “you shall not take the name of God in vain”. In the Qur’an, Sura Al-Baqarah 2:224, Allah says (translation of meaning) “And make not Allah’s (name) an excuse in your oaths against doing good, or acting rightly, or making peace between persons: for Allah is One who heareth and knoweth all things.”

The fourth commandment is the one that is not a requirement in Islam. This is “remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy”. We believe that the requirement to keep the Sabbath was imposed by Allah on the Children of Israel (see Sura An-Nahl 16:124), but no longer applies for Muslims. In the Old Testament, it is explained that the Sabbath rest is based on God’s resting on the seventh day, but we believe that Allah, being the most perfect of all beings, has no need to rest (see Sura Al-Baqarah 2:255).

The fifth commandment is “honour your father and mother”. Respect and honour to our parents is very important to Muslims, who put great emphasis on the family. In the Qur’an, Sura Al-Isra 17:23, we read: “Thy Lord hath decreed that ye worship none but Him, and that ye be kind to parents. Whether one or both of them attain old age in thy life, say not to them a word of contempt, nor repel them, but address them in terms of honour.”

The sixth commandment forbids murder. In the Qur’an (Sura Al-Ma’idah 5:32), Almighty Allah reminds us that he gave this commandment to the Children of Israel, and states that if anyone who unjustly kills another human being, it is as if that person had killed all of humanity.

The seventh commandment forbids adultery. Again, this is forbidden in the Qur’an. In Sura Al-Isra 17:32, we are told: “Nor come nigh to unlawful sex for it is a shameful (deed) and an evil, opening the road (to other evils).”

The eighth commandment forbids stealing. Almighty Allah detests those who steal, and imposes a severe penalty (but this is tempered by mercy). Sura Al Ma’idah 5:37-38: “As to the thief, male or female, cut off his or her hands: a punishment by way of example, from Allah, for their crime: and Allah is Exalted in Power, full of Wisdom. But if the thief repents after his crime, and amends his conduct, Allah turneth to him in forgiveness: for Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.”

The ninth commandment forbids bearing false witness. This is also forbidden in Islam. In Sura Al-Baqarah 2:283, Allah tells us (translation of meaning): “Conceal not evidence; for whoever conceals it – his heart is tainted with sin. And Allah knoweth all that ye do.” Almighty Allah calls on us to act justly, even at our own expense. Sura An-Nisa 4:135: “O ye who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: For Allah can best protect both.”

Finally, the tenth commandment forbids coveting. Similarly, Almighty Allah has commanded us not to “strain thine eyes in longing for the things We have given for enjoyment to parties of them, the splendour of the life of this world, through which We test them” (Sura Ta Ha 20:131, translation of meaning – all translations come from Abdullah Yusuf Ali The Meaning of the Holy Qur’an).

The Sharia Law represents a codification of Almighty Allah’s commands and prohibitions as revealed through the Qur’an, and as taught and practised by the Prophet of Allah (may Almighty Allah bless him and grant him peace).

Apologies for the long post, but I wanted to show that the moral code of Islam is fundamentally the same as the other great religions of the Book. I hope that you are reading the Qur'an - there are several different translations available online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Agathon

That is quite... understanding. And interesting about the bloodletting for testing sugar (which I have to do at least 4 times per day). So I woudlnt be able to do that.
    It's hard to explain the Noble Qur'an to you. It is basically a recital of the unadulterated message of every Prophet and Messenger sent by the True Creator. Sometimes even the English translation is hard to describe the power of the recital. That's why some people invest a few weeks of their lives trying to learn the Arabic language for the sake of that rythm and power. The people always went away from the main message of the Creator and started worshipping idols, humans, trees, the sun, the moon, stars, and following their desires. The Noble Qur'an has kept this original message clear to human beings:
    Al-Qur'an, Surat-An-Najm, The Star(53), Ayat 32 - 54, YUSUF 'ALI:

32. Those who avoid great sins and shameful deeds, only (falling into) small faults,- verily your Lord is ample in forgiveness. He knows you well when He brings you out of the earth, And when you are hidden in your mothers' wombs. Therefore justify not yourselves: He knows best who it is that guards against evil.

Do you see the one who turns back,
    Gives a little, then hardens (his heart)?
    What! Has he knowledge of the Unseen so that he can see?
    Nay, is he not acquainted with what is in the Books of Moses-

And of Abraham who fulfilled his engagements?-

Namely, that no bearer of burdens can bear the burden of another;

That man can have nothing but what he strives for;
    That (the fruit of) his striving will soon come in sight:
    Then will he be rewarded with a reward complete;
    That to thy Lord is the final Goal;
    That it is He Who granteth Laughter and Tears;
    That it is He Who granteth Death and Life;
    That He did create in pairs,- male and female,
    From a seed when lodged (in its place);
    That He hath promised a Second Creation (Raising of the Dead);
    That it is He Who giveth wealth and satisfaction;
    That He is the Lord of Sirius (the Mighty Star, which some people adored & worshipped);

55. Then which of the gifts of thy Lord, (O man,) wilt thou dispute about?

56. This is a Warner, of the (series of) Warners of old!

57. The (Judgment) ever approaching draws nigh:

58. None beside Allah can disclose it.

59. Do ye then wonder at this recital?

60. And will ye laugh and not weep,-

61. Wasting your time in vanities?

62. Rather prostrate yourselves before Allah and serve (worship/obey) Him.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 AbuBakr

Phototoxin, we believe that the Noble Qur'an is the Miracle of Islam. All prophets down the ages have been known for their miracles - for Prophet Muhammad (may Allah's blessings and peace be upon him), the miracle is that this unlettered Arab trader received and communicated the majestic Word of Allah the Exalted.

You can get an impression of the meaning of Allah's Message by reading a translation, but Agathon is right, being able to read or listen to the Qur'an in Arabic gives a fuller understanding. It's worth listening to a good reciter to get a sense of the beauty of the Qur'an, and there are a lot of these recitations available on the internet - a handy site is http://quranicaudio.com. A sura (chapter of the Qur'an) that I love to hear is Surat Ar-Rahman (sura 55). This reminds us of all the gifts that Almighty Allah has provided us with, and repeats again and again the chorus (in English) "Then which of the favours of your Lord will ye deny?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Medina

Hi Phototoxin,
    Its been a while since I've posted on boards, but I'd like to offer an opinion on one of your questions...

Why is God worthy of worship and how do you know. Is it *necessary* to worship him and why is this so

First of all, I want to offer an opinion on what constitutes 'worship'. This has many different meanings to many different religions and people.
    To most , it conjures up the image of a person on their knees praying or indeed in Islam, prostrating on a floor..
    Islam means submission as you're probably aware...but submission to what? Well the answer is of course to God and His laws..
    And thus worship in Islam is adherence to His laws. And the laws are the morals, the teachings, the ethics. When one adheres to these morals and teachings you become a better person, you create harmony in society, you grow as a person, and you become closer to God as you try to bring Him and His teachings into your life...
    Thus when you worship God, you improve yourself, you improve society, the family, you make your partner more happy, and on and on the benefits go..and then on top of that God promises you Paradise for trying so hard and rising above all the challenges and for conquering your own demons and for the good deeds that will inevitably result from this.

And above all this is the fact that you recognise that there is only one God, you acknowledge that the Creator is Almighty and All Powerful and 'begets not nor is begotten'. That you recognise that man needs God, and thus he overcomes his own arrogance.

One of my favourite verses in the Quran is in Surah Ya Sin verse 22. The 'I' in the verse is not God, it is a man speaking to others who refuse to worship God..

It says:
    'And how can I be justified in not worshipping Him who created me, and it is to Him that you shall be returned?'

It always serves to remind me of my own insignificance, my own lack of self sufficiency and my own dependency on God.

In my opinion it is necessary to worship God to bring love, peace and harmony on earth and good to your fellow man.

Why is God 'worthy' of worship?
    We use 'worthy' when we mean deserving. Why does God deserve your worship? I could list thousands of reasons but ultimately nothing will convince you if your original belief is that He does not deserve it. Not sure what your belief is, but what I would ask anyone who does not believe is : why not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

I dont think God is worthy of worship because I see him as fickle, petty and vindictive for the most part who forces us to worship hum or else spend an eternity in torment, a choice which i dont think can be made freely due to the coercieon involved.
    I accept that my view of god may be skewed but this is what my experiences have led me to believe.

My next question is how do you know that this is the correct way of life as opposed to judaism or christianity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I dont think God is worthy of worship because I see him as fickle, petty and vindictive for the most part who forces us to worship hum or else spend an eternity in torment, a choice which i dont think can be made freely due to the coercieon involved.
    I accept that my view of god may be skewed but this is what my experiences have led me to believe.

My next question is how do you know that this is the correct way of life as opposed to judaism or christianity?

If I believed in god I would not worship him...if the holy books are to be believed, he isn't worthy of our attention, let alone our adoration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Medina

What is heartening is that Phototoxin you do actually believe He exists, despite your views on Him. Like any relationship in your life that might not be easy, its all up for improving if you really dedicate some time and effort to improving that relationship.

I think if you consider worship for what it really is, in terms of your everyday life and the way you deal with people then you would see that God is worthy of this..He deserves that you treat His Creation with respect and love, in fact He demands it. He demands that other people treat you well and that you treat them well but above all that you treat Him well.

And as for coercion, you are only warned not coerced..just go to the Atheist forum and see the people who have chosen not to believe in God or any deity.

Nonetheless, I see your point about punishment. But let me ask you, do you feel coerced not to murder or coerced not to steal or coerced not to punch someone who upsets you because the law system of your country has specified punishments for such behaviour?

Or do you choose not to do it because your inner conscience and beliefs in what is good, right and respectful guide you against such behaviour?

When one makes this choice to treat people with love and peace and to recognise above all else that God has blessed you with whatever good you have in your life, and tested you with hard times for you to prove this belief in Him, in order that you might do yourself justice, then you are worshipping God (in my opinion).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 balkanac

CENSORSHIP BY A NON MUSLIM MODERATOR

Advertisement