Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TRS Question

Options
  • 02-03-2009 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

Can anybody tell me what the situation is on mortgage TRS for 1st time buyers if they move house within the first 7 years? i.e. are they still entitled to TRS on their mortgage for the first 7 years regardless of moving from their original first bought home :confused:

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

You should find the answer here:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/tax-relief-source-mortgage-interest-relief.html

Afaik you get a higher rate as a FTB, and if you sell up and move you clear the mortgage on your first home from the proceeds of the sale. You then get a second mortgage for your next home and are no longer a FTB. You would then go on to the lower rate of TRS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

year 1 you buy a house
    year 2 you sell the house and buy a new house

you are still a ftb on the trs system.
    you are still elegible for trs as a ftb.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

rameire wrote: »
    year 1 you buy a house
    year 2 you sell the house and buy a new house

you are still a ftb on the trs system.
    you are still elegible for trs as a ftb.

So the TRS FTB rate applies for the first 7 years of a persons mortgage, regardless of buying/selling...............good stuff, thanks.

OP, excuse my error :)

Advertisement