Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tools to lift t&g floor quickly

Options
  • 02-03-2009 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I'm planning a big diy job and need to lift a lot of t&g flooring. I'm wondering if any power tools can help speed up the process and if there are any tricks to using them? I have a small circular saw, but would a reciprocating saw help?

Also do I have to cut along the nail line on the joist and if so, how do I ensure the nails are out of the way? If I do not need to cut along the joist, then do I have to add new joists where I've cut?

Any tips and tricks really appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

watch out you dont cut into any pipes.....I think it will be a crowbar and some put your back into it......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭Juwwi

why do u need them done quickly.

as mad m said use a crowbar in some houses there does be electrical cables aswell as pipes running under the boards.

if u have a friend or relative who knows how to do it ask them to get u started maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 rav_dsl

Ok so I'm lazy. I suspect that I will need the crowbar even if I do cut the floor first, but the problem is that there are 2 small areas I will not be removing and I want to be able to make clean joints when I put down the new flooring.

I know there are pipes under the floor, but these are hanging suspended under the joists but above the original concrete garage floor. Electrics are running from the attic down to the power outlets and switches.

So how can I cut to make a clean joint later? Does the joint have to be on the joist i.e. will I have to get rid of the nails somehow and cut along the center of it or can I cut next to a joist and do some other diy magic to allow me put down the new flooring?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Use a circular saw with the depth of cut set to just less then the thickness of the boards to cut the tongues along the full length of the board you want to lift. Cut along both sides. Then increase the depth of cut to exactly the thickness of the boards to make a cut at each end of the section you want to lift - at right angles to the floorboard and over the joists. You should be able to avoid the nails as the joist will be about one and a half to two inches thick. Then lever up the end of the boards and remove any remaining nails.

When replacing the board you will have a gap where the tongues were cut, so you might want to insert a slip of wood on one side afterwards to close it up.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

use a gorrila bar and keep the heel on the joist it wil remove all nails that get left behin easily

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

rav_dsl wrote: »
    So how can I cut to make a clean joint later? Does the joint have to be on the joist i.e. will I have to get rid of the nails somehow and cut along the center of it or can I cut next to a joist and do some other diy magic to allow me put down the new flooring?

cut along the edge of the joist where u leaving the boards, about 2 or 3mm out from the face of the joist.

Then screw a new length of timber along side the existing one, the 2mm lip will keep it at correct level, and the fix your new floor to it.

If u can get a small circular saw with a guide bar then u will be able to cut very straight.

Given your aversion to hard work I trust u have sky sports in the room:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 rav_dsl

Carlow52 wrote: »
    cut along the edge of the joist where u leaving the boards, about 2 or 3mm out from the face of the joist.

Then screw a new length of timber along side the existing one, the 2mm lip will keep it at correct level, and the fix your new floor to it.

This sounds like its right up my alley ... maybe a little fool proof too :)

Advertisement