Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

60 retail premises are lying empty in Wexford Town

Options
  • 02-03-2009 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Well 58/59 but 60 sounds more :eek:

I was tired last night couldn't sleep starting counting sheep that didn't work so starting counting empty shops/business and got into the high 50's. That's high and pretty bad.

The council needs to lower rates/rents or whoever owns the places needs to lower rents and encourage/help local people develop there business ideas. I'll certainly will be mentioning this to those going around for a vote in the upcoming local elections.

*Starts Humming* Ghosttown by The Specials

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Wow - I didn't think it was that much! Did you include all the vacant shops along the quays!

Wexford main street is starting to look really empty with dunnes, barratts going, adams going, sasha gone, etc, etc. It reminds me of when I first moved to Wexford. There was nothing there!

I heard Awear was going to move into the old joyces building, but read somewhere that they are in trouble also :(

Wexford has been hit badly in this recession - industry and retail:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Black Lead

22/23 ish On the Quay from O'Hanrahan/Wexford North Station to Talbot Hotel including that new building located on the old Stafford site.

6 Along Redmond Square, Savoy Cineplex, The Butchers and Fishmongers, Square Discs, Xtravision and Cash Converters

The rest scatted along the town like you said dunnes, barratts going and sasha gone is the worst as there right in the centre of town.

Is Adams confirmed ? Joyces building been empty for a long time now i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Adams has been saved hasnt it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Enniscorthy & Waterford are also disaster areas with masses of empty premises and it's not going to get any better soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Cian R

well at least there is some good (debatable) news: McDonalds are coming to Drinagh, near the new cinema and should be open by September '09

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I wonder will we get architects, and accountants applying there? :rolleyes:

Coke Cola should be opening next year also which will be great for the region.

What type of industry should Wexford be trying to attract? I don't have a clue... fishing maybe (Like Donegal Catch) ?? Its easy to give out about the lack of employment in the county, but not so easy to come up with ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 panelb/sprayer

wexford is i say the most expensive place to live,eat even sleep.lol nah people need to work together and help each others out and make it happen but that will never happen i say what they need is something new and different to help the comunity new ideas new things to do and i have it .close some of the pubs and open up something different so there is money floating around the whole time.the people that have the money just dont want to spend it and the people that would like to have the money cant spend it because they dont have it.thats what i think any ways ,say like the shops ,they should buy from cheaper countries ect and make so much not 120 per cent profit maybe im wrong but was in a shop the other day and bought a coat for 40 euro and it had a tag for 150 my eyes nearly went wrong:eek: that is a jump in price i think. jeans and all are gone in price how come if you go foreign and you see the same thing and you say ' ah no only got that last week and i paid an extra 50 euro of so for that how come its not that price in ireland'.look the dail in irieland is up there arse thinking about them selves not about the people and children of ireland.what in there pocket will stay in there pocket.we need as a comuntie to do something about it . thanks everybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭D.W

Enniscorthy & Waterford are also disaster areas with masses of empty premises and it's not going to get any better soon.

Think we all better get used to this-wait till all the UK chains pull out-every town in the country will have almost abandoned Retail Parks. Look at Clonard already. These so called retail parks have taken business from the town centres, forced long established businesses to close and have been a direct contributor towards the number of retail premises now vacant in all towns including Wexford. My theory anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭happy09

Black Lead wrote: »
    The council needs to lower rates/rents or whoever owns the places needs to lower rents and encourage/help local people develop there business ideas. I'll certainly will be mentioning this to those going around for a vote in the upcoming local elections.

I agree with Black Head. Something needs to be done but will council listen to it?

Visit my Irish Recession Blog

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

Black Lead wrote: »
    22/23 ish On the Quay from O'Hanrahan/Wexford North Station to Talbot Hotel including that new building located on the old Stafford site.

6 Along Redmond Square, Savoy Cineplex, The Butchers and Fishmongers, Square Discs, Xtravision and Cash Converters

The rest scatted along the town like you said dunnes, barratts going and sasha gone is the worst as there right in the centre of town.

Is Adams confirmed ? Joyces building been empty for a long time now i think.

Joyce's former home, 1 South Main Street, has been taken up by A Wear, One prominent gap filled at least. Opening in May probably.

Koyote went this week too. All the fashion related places are biting the dust quickest, e.g. Sasha, Barratts, Jolie, etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

which ones are they deliberatly letting go to ruin so they knock em down and build apartments and a big shooping mall?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭southofnowhere

which ones are they deliberatly letting go to ruin so they knock em down and build apartments and a big shooping mall?

Who are 'they' in this scenario? Not sure I know where you mean in any event.

The only big plans as far as shopping malls go in town (to the best of my knowledge) are Red Square (at the very early stages), which involves a consortium of local businessmen, and then Trinity Wharf at the other end of town, which Derry McPhillips won't be starting any time soon.

Maybe I'm missing one though.

Who are 'they' in this scenario? Not sure I know where you mean in any event.

The only big plans as far as shopping malls go in town (to the best of my knowledge) are Red Square (at the very early stages), which involves a consortium of local businessmen, and then Trinity Wharf at the other end of town, which Derry McPhillips won't be starting any time soon.

Maybe I'm missing one though.

That Trinity development has been talked about for around 20 plus years I seen a piece in the People in 1986 about it, hope it never happens its a lovely place to go fishing would make a nice park/scenic area if it was done up

As for Redmond Square development I though it was just a "idea" that a few people had and nothing more to it.

Awear have started advertising for staff and opening in may

Oh and there is closer to 70 empty buildings seen more this week

D.W wrote: »
    Think we all better get used to this-wait till all the UK chains pull out-every town in the country will have almost abandoned Retail Parks. Look at Clonard already. These so called retail parks have taken business from the town centres, forced long established businesses to close and have been a direct contributor towards the number of retail premises now vacant in all towns including Wexford. My theory anyway...

The new Drinagh Retail Park is due to open March 2009 but no sign of anyone moving in yet except McDonalds in September.

I think 4/5 shops closed up by Atlantic Homecare last year and the new Aldi supermarket has been empty for a few months now

I don't think that business of a large scale should be allowed outside the town center as you say it has a long term negative effect on the town itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

what does the variety of shops which are closing down tell us about how people, and which groups people, are changing their spending habits in wexford?

this might provide a clue on how to take an opportunity for setting up new business on the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mark1975

60 stores thats insane i had no idea it was as bad as that, was in sligo last weekend and they have a very large retail park given the population the park was full last year, 7 huge stores gone since july i thought that was bad, when i lived there 2 years ago there was local uproar as the council would not let argos and stores that sell smaller items get planning in that park as it would ruin the town centre they may have had different motives at the time but it seems like it work out better for locals in the end its no surprise retail parks are lossing tenants some are paying paying 35 thousand a week thats insane
    landlords should be made take bust tenants signage down its a constant reminder

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

There is no large shopping centre in the heart of Wexford town which I think is a huge disadvatage. It is way behind Waterford, Carlow and KIlkenny and even Arklow ffs in this regard. I reckon there is ahuge drain of retail out of Wexford as a result, charming and all as it's centre streets may be..

Advertisement