Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Different Types Of Chicken For A Diet

• 02-03-2009 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi Guys Im on A diet and Usually Cook A fillet of chicken on the pan with oil for a chicken curry.
    But Im getting sick of it and would way rather eat chicken cooked on the oven usually breaded chicken. Im wondering is there a big difference in diet terms between the two types of chicken. I figure i be Using as much calories with the curry sauce and rice???

Also what types of Oven Cooked Fillets would you recommend for me?? I was looking at Tesco and seen Big als and Birds eyes fillets. I presume these aren't great even though they are very nice.
    They have breaded chicken in the butchers and was wondering are these good?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Better off making your own, I do.

If you lay a fillet out press your hand on it, now get a good knife and cut it parallel to the chopping board, now you have 2 thin fillets so they cook quicker, or if you are handy with a knife you can cut almost all the way through and unfold it like a book to get one big round fillet. Now dip them in whisked egg and then into wholemeal breadcrumbs. Just leave some wholemeal bread go a bit stale and liquidise it in a blender, I then keep batches in the freezer, it defrosts quickly, freeze it very loosely bagged so it does not clump up.

Now I just fry in a little oil, since it is so thin it cooks quicker.

Also I get flour, oat flour or gram flour (in aisan stores). I just add spices like chilli of curry powder. I do not use egg on them, just cut the chicken really small and cover it in the flour & spices. Leave it 30mins or so and the chicken moisture absorbs the flour well. I fry these in a saucepan, towards the end I add a tablespoon or 2 of water and cover. This steams them to make sure it is cooked, it also keeps it moist. I usually add garlic at this stage. After a few mins remove the lid and allow the steam to boil off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

If you want a change, make a fish curry instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭wannabepr

What About The Breaded Chicken fillets In a butchers. Its Pure chicken. Surely they would be better than Big Al's Chicken. Would the breaded chicken be that bad??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

You don't know what's in them, they could be just bulk bought from a producer. Some butchers are cutting corners as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Serafijn

Rubadub that sounds yummy, can I come to your house for dinner please? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

wannabepr wrote: »
    What About The Breaded Chicken fillets In a butchers. Its Pure chicken. Surely they would be better than Big Al's Chicken. Would the breaded chicken be that bad??
    Depends on the butchers, since it is not a "brand" they will vary. You could grill the ones I mentioned, my mother used to fry them in a little butter to brown them and then oven cook them. She was always worried about undercooking stuff, I pefer them thin so they fry quickly and remain moist. I expect most would be just on a par with big al's I think some big al's stuff is whole chicken fillets, I know they do some that is just lightly coated in spices, and other may be reformed but it is at least breast meat in most of their stuff, some "chicken" burgers do not resemble chicken at all. I think most of theirs is sourced in Thailand if that is a concern, but some butchers could be too.
    Serafijn wrote: »
    Rubadub that sounds yummy, can I come to your house for dinner please? :)
    If you bring the booze! ;)

Advertisement