Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HELP

• 02-03-2009 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

im 17 and new to bikeing i have just passed my theory test and dont no what bike to get i was browesing the internet and ive seen a few bikes i like mainly the honda nsr125 or the apprilla rs125 i know there is no way i could get insured on them but what i want to know is there any bikes allong the style of the two bikes i metioned or that are nice bikes and easy to insure or can anyone reccomend a bike my main problem is insurence

any help appriceated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

all the jap brands now have 125's and kwak have 250. There was a korean brand at the bike show with a 125 rc8 lookalike. All about 3.5k. Insurance on them all will be quite similar so if that is the problem look to the cg125 or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Honda Varadero 125
    22482_0_1_2_varadero%20125_Image%20credits%20-%20Honda.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

ybr125custom.jpg

Yamaha YBR125

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

Has to be the CG125 from Honda or the YBR 125 as above. Both are reliable as feck and take little juice. Get one secondhand and two very good locks and only pay thrid-party insurance so you can reduce that inevitably huge insurance quote.

It's all fine looking at the NSR's and stuff but anything with a lot of plastic on it is very hard and expensive to fix when you have that first fall whether it be you forgetting the sidestand or forgetting to NOT lock the back wheel in a bend at 30mph!!!

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I looked around for insurance on an NSR125 when I was your age (only three years ago mind :)), it was a fortune for insurance. They're boyracer bikes. The varedero 125 is the one to go for if you're looking for a more recent looking bike. The Yammy is looks a bit more oldschool.

Make sure you get some decent rider training - average age in motorcycle deaths in the UK is 17 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

G_H wrote: »
    im 17 and new to bikeing i have just passed my theory test and dont no what bike to get i was browesing the internet and ive seen a few bikes i like mainly the honda nsr125 or the apprilla rs125 i know there is no way i could get insured on them but what i want to know is there any bikes allong the style of the two bikes i metioned or that are nice bikes and easy to insure or can anyone reccomend a bike my main problem is insurence

any help appriceated

Hi G_H

How much money do you have to spend in total?

My advice would be to stay away from any bike with a 'r' in the name - the insurance will be more, as the insurance company think this 'r' stands for race. :)

If you look at the Quinn website, you can get an idea of how much the insurance will be, and then you can see how much you will have left for a bike.

You might be better of on a 125 commuter for a year or two, while you get a few years insurance history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Don't know why everyone is ignoring what he is asking and suggesting cruiser/commuter style bikes. He is asking is there any sporty style bikes with cheaper insurance not fecking commuter yokes :pac:

Try getting a quote for a Honda CBR125, has a sporty style like the NSR125 and the RS125 but the quote should be a little more reasonable, likewise the Hyosung GT125R. The difference between those two bikes is they are both 4 strokes compared to the 2 stroke NSR125 and the RS125. Two strokes are a whole bunch faster than 4 strokes and they also have a bad reputation with insurers.

He is asking is there any sporty style bikes with cheaper insurance not fecking commuter yokes :pac:
    In that case cheap insurance :no.
    Not as a first bike. Relatively the 4 stroke bikes will be cheap'er' but not cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Whats the difference bar power.. with moving from a peugeot moped/scooter to a 125 the yamaha posted above? handling/cornering/fuel consumption/tax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

nereid wrote: »
    In that case cheap insurance :no.
    Not as a first bike. Relatively the 4 stroke bikes will be cheap'er' but not cheap.

Obviously they aren't going to be as cheap as a CG125 et al but its for him to decide if its worth it, he asked for sporty 125s that were cheaper to insure but nobody till me even mentioned a CBR125.

• Advertisement

G_H wrote: »
    im 17 and new to bikeing i have just passed my theory test and dont no what bike to ge... ... ...or can anyone reccomend a bike my main problem is insurence

meh schmeh.

In my opinion the op should wait a year and get a restricted 600.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭The Sheriffk

Hows it goin bud , i have a 07 YBR 125 for sale if your interested in a clean
    bike with only 3500 kms

Black
    Givi Back Box
    Givi Screen
    Side stand kit fitted
    spotless bike and cheap insurance

Advertisement