Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 routers 1 network

Options
  • 02-03-2009 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, we have two phone lines in the gaff, business and home. We've just got broadband on the business line and we got a router with it (eircom btw).

Just wondering how I can use the linksys router we previously had to wirelessly connect to the main one downstairs?
    The gateway computer is running Vista and the one upstairs is running XP. I tried setting up a wireless network but it didn't seem to have an effect.
    I've looked it up online but none of it seems particularly clear.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

When posting a problem it helps to give as much detail as possible otherwise far too many posts are wasted just extracting the necessary information.

Why do you want to use the linksys when the netopial is a wireless router/modem?

When you say you tried to set up a wireless network what exactly did you do? Settings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Hey thanks for the reply. Sorry for being so vague. The house is quite big and I don't think the pc upstairs has a wireless network card, even if it did it could well be out of range. We had a wireless adapter but it's ****ed so I was hoping I could use the linksys router to receive the signal upstairs.

When I tried to set up a wireless network I tried to do it on vista but it just brought me to the router settings page. I tried adding the computer upstairs to the network using the eircom ssid and password but that didn't work.

Through windows do I have to have a wireless network set up for it to work? On the one upstairs nothing is showing up in terms of available networks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 pedantic pat

I was looking at doing the same thing with my network setup

I suspect you will have to reconfigure the router to act as a wireless card as opposed to a network access point

the advanced settings should allow this somehow

with the eircom netopia router it may be as simple as changing the following settings LAN/WAN setting in the advanced menu:

'LAN/WAN turnaround is currently disabled. Clicking the "Enable" button will enable the LAN port and disable the DSL port. The unit will be restarted.'

I seem to recall a similar post about this not too long ago - may check that out

Advertisement