Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda thread Galway City

Options
2»

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We are a very different site today from then (when we had been going about a year only).

We chat to the Data Protection Commissioner quite a bit and the MCD case is technically over our REFUSAL to comply with their lawyers demands for the private data of the thread starter so we also fight to keep private data private.

I wouldnt publish private data now but I certainly would use it to protect the site which means things like, if someone was posting violent rape fantasies from work I wouldnt have an issue phoning up the owner of the company and telling him someone in the company was doing that and he should check logs etc. Thats not publishing private information, its simply using it (as we're entitled to). We dont give details, we alert companies to misuse of their equipment and time. That is within the stated reasons as detailed in our privacy statement. You would have to be doing something of that magnitude repeatedly for us to be bothered to be quite frank.

You can review your rights here:
    http://www.dataprotection.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=/documents/rights/RightsPlainEnglish.htm&CatID=16&m=r

We've recently be through a session with the DPC regarding our right to change the tagline of a banned user to "Banned". So its not like that havent been over every inch of this site.

DeV.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

DeVore wrote: »
    We've recently be through a session with the DPC regarding our right to change the tagline of a banned user to "Banned". So its not like that havent been over every inch of this site.

DeV.

Wow they are indeed covering everything eh?

I'm curious Dev have you ever got a Data Info request...a user requesting all information about them/from them...(could amount to thousands of posts/pages)...that would be fun :)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

We dont have access to any info that the user cant access through their Control Panel really. Your posts dont count as "private info" nor can you request them to be removed as they are serving the purpose we detailed.

For the record, we strongly support the DP Act.
    We will release personal information on receipt of a court order or disclosure order.

DeV.

We do occasionally get requests for Data Info but most people are content when we point out the Control Panel.

We get a Garda request for info about once in a blue moon (where moon colour varies on a quarterly basis :p)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Changing tags to banned?
    What's the offical line on changing people's tags to other things, or on editing other people's posts then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

We get a Garda request for info about once in a blue moon (where moon colour varies on a quarterly basis :p)

Really?? I know this aint gonna happen but some juicy details would be awesome :o

hey, no harm in asking...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

We do occasionally get requests for Data Info but most people are content when we point out the Control Panel.

DeV.
    cornbb wrote: »
    Really?? I know this aint gonna happen but some juicy details would be awesome :o

I would be too. What colours are you talking about DeV?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

We dont have access to any info that the user cant access through their Control Panel really. Your posts dont count as "private info" nor can you request them to be removed as they are serving the purpose we detailed.

We will release personal information on receipt of a court order or disclosure order.

DeV.

Quoted For Truth.
    cornbb wrote: »

TheNog wrote: »
    I would be too. What colours are you talking about DeV?? :D

The one that springs to mind was the paedophile ring a several years back. I'm not joking btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Boston wrote: »
    Quoted For Truth.

The one that springs to mind was the paedophile ring a several years back. I'm not joking btw.
    So they finally caught on to Snyper then.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

DeV.

Don't think anybody can argue with that as it is usually a very serious issue to require that, NWO aside!
    Boston wrote: »

Ah, very suspicious, but yep, a good reason to disclose info.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

We get a Garda request for info about once in a blue moon (where moon colour varies on a quarterly basis :p) DeV.

Do you hand over this information to Gardai or request they obtain a court order?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

DeV.

What was the outcome of that ? I think I remember someone mentioning that a banned user had contacted the DPC about having the "Banned" tag under their (user)name

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

What was the outcome of that ? I think I remember someone mentioning that a banned user had contacted the DPC about having the "Banned" tag under their (user)name

Sounds like they have nothing better to do then complain about their tag being changed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

DeV.

:eek::eek::eek:

jaysus!!

Advertisement