Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TY, so far

Options
  • 02-03-2009 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Im just about to start my third module and am sorry to say TY is nearly over. I want to hear what others thought of TY so far and if they never want to leave or if the end of the year can't come soon enough. Was it all you expected, more, less? What kind of things have you done / will you do?

Ty has been the best year of my life so far and I am loving every second of it. Some of the things I have at least started this year are;
    Work Experience; Vets and ABACAS, Self Defence, Weekend in Wicklow, All Ireland Drama competetion(We came 2nd!), First Aid, Gaisce, Psychology Course, Peer Education, German Debating, Basketball Assistant Coach, Yoga, Aromatherapy, and all of the usual stuff!!:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 keane-xx

Ty this year was unbelievable!! It was the best year of my life. The musical was AMAZING! Such tears on the last night..its the one thing that i will remember about school when im older! Work experience- im not certain what I want to do. Enjoyed it immensly! Public speaking and debating- gave me a bit of confidence anyways! Doing a school yearbook, went to an outdoor education centre twice, going camping for three days, going on a school tour to Barcelona, went horse riding, paintballing, had loads of talks from various people, did a lot of fundraising. Mini company- we made a good bit i think..its lots of fun! TY is better than what i expected and i think everyone in my year thought so too!:D:cool::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭TransititionMan

Ive got to try my hand at so much this year.
    I think its an absalute sin that they're trying to get rid of it as it has made much more of a difference to me than any other year so far.
    In brief, for myself, Ty has given me the opportunity to:
    Compete in the Young Scientist - Got Highly Commended in my Catagory
    YSI - It had its ups and downs but we've got to showcase our project in the RDS now in a week or so.
    Fire Safety Course: Certified in Fire Safety
    Food Safety Course: Certified in food safety, enables you to have a better chance to work in Delis and the likes.
    Self Defense Course: Certified in Self Defense
    Gaisce: Not too fond of Gaisce myself, shouldve done bronze but vurrently doing silver, long hard weeks, Ill be delighted when Im through though =]
    A Small bit of Debating: Tried my hand at debating, thought it was good enough =]
    Mock Interviews at Barry's: Havent got the results back yet but I thouroughly enjoyed the experience, really worth while =]
    And Finally, Mini-Company:
    Proberbly the most useful and worth while part of Transition Year. Having to deal with your classmates, use and develop all your skills and producing innovative products that make money in the meanwhile.
    The extreme multi tasking experience. Loving it.
    Current CEO of the company, getting ready for the National Finals,
    Cannot wait but still loads to do :P

A few trips still to go on, maybe even paintballing, should be fun =]

Am I disappointed that TY's nearly over?
    Extremely.
    I'll never get this opportunity again and I'm delighted that I took it but dissapointed that its coming to an end.
    If I gained one thing this year its confidence, both in myself and in others around me.
    A year Id strongly suggest everybody with the faciities to do.
    Also its something else to put on a CV as a whole along with all the other achievements you get in between.
    Well worth an extra year in school, any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

Omg I hav 3 days left of TY! Im actually so sad! It was definitely one of the best years of my life so far. We had a musical, fashion show, and great modules and stuff. It was such a break after the JC... Dreading 5th year now tho! Heard its a right pain in the bum!

The biggest phobia I have now is studying in 5th Year.
    I just hope Ill be able to slip back into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 keane-xx

Ya studyin is gona be a real bummer...but i didn't do much 4 de jc so anythin more can only be a bonus! And i kind of feel more prepared in a way...i wouldv picked completely different subjects had i not done ty so i suppose thats ok:D

• Advertisement

keane-xx wrote: »
    Ya studyin is gona be a real bummer...but i didn't do much 4 de jc so anythin more can only be a bonus! And i kind of feel more prepared in a way...i wouldv picked completely different subjects had i not done ty so i suppose thats ok:D

Same actually,
    Doing all 3 sciences this time :P
    Business as an extra and French.
    The bands did effect it though :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Parry_Repost

The years over :(
    But was absolutely amazing.

Bit apprehensive about 5th year all my school books arrived today and the reality hit home. But hey *** it.

Just have to work for two years then we have college which if all goes to plan is going to be great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Jesus, you guys/girls seemed to have great Tys. I didn't like it too much.
    We did -
    YSI - it was funny, but stressful. Teachers wouldn't give us time off to rehearse or work on our project so everything was last minute. It was great craic though.
    Young Scientist - didn't get through. Just as well though. My partner broke up the group. I don't know why, she was a bit of a pyscho though.
    Gaisce - I only just finished it and will get awarded it in September. Really good thing to do.
    ComputeTY - the computer thing in DCU. Was brilliant, I learned loads and had a great week.
    Our Musical - insane director and a bunch of girls who didn't want to work. What can I say?

There were a load of sciencey things to do too. I didn't manage to get a place on anything but ComputeTY, but I'd have loved to go.

The worst thing was that we didn't mix enough. We got split up for the musical, but the classes weren't mixed for subjects. Like we had every class together but maths. So it was so bitchy being stuff together for 7-9 classes a day. And we didn't mix enough to form a load of new friendships. So most people are still in their cliques from third year.

And I'm dreading Irish and French next year. We didn't do much this year, so I'm screwed for the Leaving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 NeckPains

Where did yous do work experience , cuz im intrested in Fashion/art/photography/ behind the scences in lighting and sound.
    and i cant seem to find anything with one of these . Help ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭dave-higgz

Mad year myself, here's some of my highlights

School Musical - Fiddler on the Roof, I played the lead role Tevye.
    School Podcast - I was a current affairs reporter and I co-hosted a political talk show
    Radio Broadcast - Live show on FM in February. Some more politics there.
    Trip Away - Killary Harbour, it was a fantastic experience.
    ECDL - First finished in the whole school
    Work Experience - Microsoft, AIB and IT Tallaght
    European Youth Parliament - Only run in some schools but it's a great one for anyone interested in politics.
    Fine Gael - Canvassed voluntarily with George Lee towards the end of the year, it wouldn't have been possible if I had end of year exams or the leaving cert to do. I urge every new TY to get involved in their local communities and in the political party of their choice. There will most likely be a general election this coming school year and it'll be historic so don't miss the experience of a lifetime.
    Fundraising - got on TV carol singing on Grafton Street
    Music - I was in 3 bands throughout the year along with 2 choirs, TY is a great opportunity to spend time on music. I got grade 6 and 7 done in piano also. One of the bands opened for the coronas and in another we got working on some great original material

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Frank3142

so far well......i ****ing hate TY, its so boring, i hate the people doing it because we can never get anything done with them, i feel like i've just wasted a year of my life and its only been a month!! I really regret doing it, do you think it is too late to change to 5th year?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

Up till Thursday it became sh1t.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I did TY a few years ago and I can safely say that it was THE best year of my life so far, we did so much in school. It really makes the difference having a devoted TY co-ordinator and flexible teachers. We had a timetable but it was very rarely that we actually stuck to it, we all had our own things to work on like Mi-Co and other stuff like that so we worked on them.

I think one of the best things about my school is that they limit places to only 20 people so everyone gets involved and no one is left out

Some of the things we did were:
    Trips: We went to Italy, Westport, Oakwood, Dublin loadsa times, The Curragh Barracks, The Curragh Race track, RACE... (there was more but I cant remember them all)
    ECDL: I now have an ECDL Cert
    Mi-Co: We did the Blast:Beat Minicompany competition, we held a Battle of the Bands, found our winning act, represented them in the Regional Finals where they one and then in the National Finals. We ended up making over €2000 at the end of the yeat
    Variety Show: We all had 5 different roles in Various sketches, Our maths teacher was the director so every Maths class was a Music and Drama class. It was so hands on though it was brilliant. We were all involved in script writing, choosing the music, we painted the backdrop, chose the outfits, built the stage in the Gym, lay carpet etc.... it was brilliant
    Cooking: We learned how to cook loads of useful stuff
    Wood: We built a couple of small things then spent the few months before the Variety Show building a stage
    Art: Im sure you can guess. The few weeks before the Variety Show were spent designing the Backdrop
    Equine Science: I went to school in Co. Kildare so were big into horses and this was really interesting
    Gaisce: We all did the Bronze Gaisce Award
    Debating: I was on the Debate team, this improved my Public Speaking and Confidence so much
    European Studies: We learnt introductions to Dutch and German and information on the EU and how it works

there was other things aswell but i cant think of them all, there was just so much.

Aswell as doing things, we all improved our relationships with all our teachers so much, in 5th and 6th, we were like mates with some of them and just had mutual respect, they werent too strict on us and we didnt act the mick. It was a brilliant year, the best of my 6 in secondary without a shadow of a doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Aife101

jelly:) wrote: »
    Im just about to start my third module and am sorry to say TY is nearly over. I want to hear what others thought of TY so far and if they never want to leave or if the end of the year can't come soon enough. Was it all you expected, more, less? What kind of things have you done / will you do?

Ty has been the best year of my life so far and I am loving every second of it. Some of the things I have at least started this year are;
    Work Experience; Vets and ABACAS, Self Defence, Weekend in Wicklow, All Ireland Drama competetion(We came 2nd!), First Aid, Gaisce, Psychology Course, Peer Education, German Debating, Basketball Assistant Coach, Yoga, Aromatherapy, and all of the usual stuff!!:D:D

hey how did you get work experience for psychology?? i have been looking everywhere but cant seem to get any???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Aife101 wrote: »
    hey how did you get work experience for psychology?? i have been looking everywhere but cant seem to get any???

Zombie thread, unlikely to get a reply!!! Try posting in the work experience thread, or making a new thread altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

ty is a fantasic Year

Advertisement