Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there such a thing as a Good RGB splitter?

Options
  • 02-03-2009 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭

anyone? i've tried a few of these that claim to say they support RGB but invaribly, they don't. My situation is i have a 28" CRT that only has 1 RGB scart socket. I have RGB cables for both my wii and 360 and im looking into getting RGB cables for my dreamcast and Megadrive(buying one now actually :)).

Id really prefer to not unplug the scart every time i want to switch consoles. Has anyone got one and where?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Unfortunately no. A scart one would be expensive and the extra wiring would mean a reduction in quality unless it was high quality with lots of shielding and therefore expensive. It's a right pain when you only have 1 scart socket. My PS2/PS3 one is really loose and I'm thinking of getting a new one because sometimes a sound channel cuts out for a split second every so often, really annoying.

I can't really point you in the direction of one and never heard of a good one that is RGB scart.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

thats sucks but im not surprised, cheers for putting that straight. really annoying alright, RGB makes such a big difference, normal scart just wont do

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    thats sucks but im not surprised, cheers for putting that straight. really annoying alright, RGB makes such a big difference, normal scart just wont do

Are we really just talking about an adaptor that allows you to plug in three scarts at once? I use onefor the NTL/ps2/ps1. Haslittle buttons so you just click on the scart you want.

Can't say I have ever noticed any quality issues. Cheapo job from Power City aswell.

EDIT: sorry just read your last post properly, whats an RGB scart compared to scart?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

noodler wrote: »
    Are we really just talking about an adaptor that allows you to plug in three scarts at once? I use onefor the NTL/ps2/ps1. Haslittle buttons so you just click on the scart you want.

Can't say I have ever noticed any quality issues. Cheapo job from Power City aswell.

EDIT: sorry just read your last post properly, whats an RGB scart compared to scart?

The problem is that you won't get a proper RGB scart signal out of them. I'm guessing you are using the red, yellow and white connectors or those connectors plugged into a scart adapter. That will only give you a composite signal which is the worst video quality you can get. Scart gives a much better increase in signal quality. It really is amazing how much better it is.

No, I mean I would have said composite via the Scart adaptor if I had meant that.

So I guess RGB scart is simply scart on its own and without the composite adaptor?

So in this situation are you still saying a SCART splitter will degrade the signal?

• Advertisement

No, I mean I would have said composite via the Scart adaptor if I had meant that.

So I guess RGB scart is simply scart on its own and without the composite adaptor?

Yes but it also has to be plugged into a scart socket on a TV that supports scart. Usually only the 'AV1' primary scart socket only supports scart which is a pain for people like me with about 8 consoles with scart and one port that supports scart.
    So in this situation are you still saying a SCART splitter will degrade the signal?

The more wiring there is the worse the signal quality gets. A scart splitter will porbably be badly shielded and there will be extra lengths of wire to go through that will weaken the signal. Not by too much though.

The main annoyance is that most scart splitters don't output in scart. They convert the RGB signal into ****ty composite even if they have a scart connector leading to the TV. So it's back to jumping pixels along colour changes, washed out colours, blurry visuals and hard to read text.

I see I see. Well I have no idea if mine outputs in scart then. It has 2 audio (red and white) holes on it as well. If we weren't in a recession I would say get a new TV OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Id really prefer to not unplug the scart every time i want to switch consoles. Has anyone got one and where?

Just buy another 3 TV's, problem solved.

I see I see. Well I have no idea if mine outputs in scart then. It has 2 audio (red and white) holes on it as well. If we weren't in a recession I would say get a new TV OP.

dont need one mate, HD is obviously savage but RGB scart is good enough for me. Playing Mirror's Edge at the moment and its genuinely amazing looking. Recently finished Dead Rising which supposedly had Standard Def issues but it looks great on RGB scart.

Moral of the story= dont put up with standard scart cables.

im guessing you have wasted money on splitters too, retrogamer? i even bought one from Maplins after a staff recommendation and it worked worse than the cheapo ones you could get in a 2 euro shop!

• Advertisement

Nope, I heard the horror stories about the splitters and avoided them.

I really was genuinely surprised with the jump in quality that scart gives. I got my first scart cable for the gamecube out of a spare tenner I had. Hooked it up and then spent the rest of the day playing all my nicest looking games just to see how they really should look. Next day I went in and bought a scart cable for the xbox and PS2. I refuse to play games in AV now unless I have to like for the stinking N64 (it really bugs me that the european standard scart doesn't work on PAL consoles yet an american one can be modded to use it).

Anyway a lot of people complain about how bad some games look and how the text is unreadable with the standard pack in cables on Standard definition. But the thing is they aren't playing in standard definition, they are playing in worse than standard def, composite (spits). Many people think that HD is a massive leap, and it is over composite, but for me it's not that big a leap compared to scart (although it is noticably nicer).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

What scart cable did you get for the xbox? Was it an official one?

Yep have the official one. Works fine.

What scart cable did you get for the xbox? Was it an official one?

i got an unofficial one off someone on adverts.ie and it works brilliant. also, my wii RGB is a cheap scart off GAME and its savage. dont go official if theres a major price difference.

Advertisement