Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will my neighbours slow down my broadband by uing it ?

Options
  • 02-03-2009 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

hello all
    i have 3mb eircom and my sis moved to house next door and wants to give us money to use our broadband .
    I play playstation on line while my girlfriend uses laptop to download music and the speed for both is fine so by letting my neighbours use mine (they look at alot of movies that they download}will this slow down what i am doing or should i say yes ?
    regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭TechieEddy

If there just using it for browsing / emailing it wont make much of a difference.
    If they are downloading movies e.t.c then it certainly will.
    You could disable certain ports to stop them using p2p programs or torrent clients or you should be able to allocate the bandwidth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 johnoneill2000

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Also remember, as the account holder, you'll be responsible for anything dodgy they may download.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

hello all
    i have 3mb eircom and my sis moved to house next door and wants to give us money to use our broadband .
    I play playstation on line while my girlfriend uses laptop to download music and the speed for both is fine so by letting my neighbours use mine (they look at alot of movies that they download}will this slow down what i am doing or should i say yes ?
    regards

That's a bit cheeky isn't it! Why doesn't she buy her own broadband! If she downloads a lot of movies then bang goes your broadband speed.

Tell her to get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

hello all
    regards

you could change to upc and get the 10m package if it's available in your area. Have you tested the signal is good enough as she won't dl much stuff on a dodgy wireless connection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

From experience, others using the Internet connection when you're playing games can cause ping problems. Giving access to someone else is asking for problems, especially if they're going to be heavy on the downloading.

Bottom line, it is going to cause you problems with your gaming, and that's not to mention the legal implications. Don't do it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you letting them download copyright material like movies, music then you are liable for anything they do and you could have your account terminated for this.

All in all if your neighbours have broadband let them buy there own or something

Advertisement