Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Optical switch advice

• 02-03-2009 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I have a Samsung home theatre which only has one optical input which is already used by my NTL cable box. I've just gotten an XBox 360 and, presume, that for the best audio quality I should hook that up via an optical cable also.

I've seen manual optical switches - is there such a thing as an automatic one?

P.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭RobY

oceanclub wrote: »
    I have a Samsung home theatre which only has one optical input which is already used by my NTL cable box. I've just gotten an XBox 360 and, presume, that for the best audio quality I should hook that up via an optical cable also.

I've seen manual optical switches - is there such a thing as an automatic one?

P.

I've not seen an automatic one but I have come up with my own solution.

I bought an optical splitter in Maplin (I think). I use it to output 5.1 from both my Sky HD and my PS3 to my amp. Maplin did have one with a switch but it was manual. I've 'automated' it by using a splitter and ensuring only one input is on at a time i.e. if I'm watching Sky, the PS3 is off and vice versa. I do this from the comfort of the couch by using the remote controls for each device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭otron

Hi,

I have the same need, and was thinking of the optical splitter solution you mention ... it's all just light isn't it?

However I looked on the UK Maplin site and according to this, the unit is not bidirectional, although I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Is this the splitter you are using? Also, approx how much did you pay for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

otron wrote: »
    Hi,

I have the same need, and was thinking of the optical splitter solution you mention ... it's all just light isn't it?

However I looked on the UK Maplin site and according to this, the unit is not bidirectional, although I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Is this the splitter you are using? Also, approx how much did you pay for it?

Splitter works fine, as long as only one input is switched on. Bought mine along with an optical cable for £6 on ebay; far cheaper than Maplins.

P.

Advertisement