Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portrait of an atheist?

Options
  • 02-03-2009 7:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭

OK atheists are a diverse crowd- no doubt about that, no such thing as a typical atheist.

But there are admittedly certain traits/attitudes/beliefs/behaviours more commonly associated with atheists than say with theists.

Presumably one obvious thing (possible a pre-requisite), is that they are rational creatures, sceptical creatures even, who have little truck with anything other than hard worldly proof.
    It's also probably not a stretch to say more/(most?) atheists are liberal-minded/libertarian rather than conservative-leaning.

What other attitudes/features tend to prevail among atheists.

Also, admittedly much of these things may be merely correlative.
    But what (if any) attitudes/behaviours might atheism actually (strongly) inform or influence.

Could there even be undesirable attitudes/behaviours that are more prevalent among atheists as a group?
    (again compared to say theists as a group).

OK i'm kinda looking for common themes in atheistic thinking in a slightly provocative, irreverent way but i'm genuinely interested.

/applies flame-retardant liberally. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

They're in their late teens and reacting to the oppression mum and dad have put them though. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

tech77 wrote: »
    What other attitudes/features tend to prevail among atheists.
    Not believing in god:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

fitz0 wrote: »
    Not believing in god:eek:

Yes, very good.
    Atheists are atheistic.

What OTHER beliefs/attitudes/behaviours/tendencies are commonly found in this diverse group?

And which beliefs/attitudes/behaviours etc would you go on to say are even informed by atheism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Atheists in Ireland often seem to be more right-wing (liberal, I mean) than theists. Except for the far left, who are also atheistic for the most part.

Atheists tend to be younger than theists. I would disagree that they are "rational, sceptical creatures". Such people exist on both sides of the God divide, as do their opposites. Remember there are plenty of myths around that have little to do with religion. The marketing industry perpetuates quite a lot of them, and atheists seem just as open to them as theists, if not more so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Generally pro-choice.

Nearly always pro stem cell research.

Generally pro gay marriage.

Mostly anti-death penalty

Generally like satire above all other forms of comedy and are far less likely to get the wrong end of the stick whilst watching it.

Not as nationalist as non atheists

Vegetarians tend to be generally atheist in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

Húrin wrote: »
    The marketing industry perpetuates quite a lot of them, and atheists seem just as open to them as theists, if not more so.

how are they more so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Atheists tend to be younger than theists. I would disagree that they are "rational, sceptical creatures". Such people exist on both sides of the God divide, as do their opposites.

For sure skeptical and rational creatures exist on both sides.

But religious people's skeptical/rational/critical faculties seem to shut down when it comes to questioning their own religion.

The typical atheist is also cool.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Atheists in Ireland often seem to be more right-wing (liberal, I mean) than theists. Except for the far left, who are also atheistic for the most part.

:confused: Does not compute

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Proportionately more atheists like Science Fiction and/or own a sword.

Also, more interestingly, the same proportion of atheists will go to heaven or hell as believers. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Obni

Dades wrote: »
    Brilliant! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Interested in politics, particularly international affairs, history and science. Political i'm liberal on social issues and centrist on economic issues. Don't own a sword but I do like a sci-fi particularly hard sci-fi.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Atheists like stereotypes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

I would disagree that they are "rational, sceptical creatures".

Come off it Hurín. Atheists by their nature are rational. People who believe in God have put logic aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Bduffman

We are generally better looking & fantastic in bed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Bduffman wrote: »
    cusl01_hitchens0710.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

*swoon* :D

edit:

74057.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Bduffman

Bduffman wrote: »

Welllll - I was only expecting to fool theists (especially good look female ones). They have been known to believe very unlikely things you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

*puts hand to forehead*

LZ forsees this thread descending into a "rational -v- irrational" slanging match.

I think it's too much of a broad subject really and it is borderline asking for stereotypes. You will come across intelligent and positively engaging atheists. You will come across atheists who are intelligent but who are also anti-theist (the most formidable foe!:eek::pac:). You will come across pretentious and provoking atheists. You will come across religious people who can hold their own in an intelligent manner. You will come across the religious zealots and fundamentalists.

Neither "group" exclusively share common traits

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Overblood wrote: »
    The typical atheist is also cool.:cool:

Finally I'm cool...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

Generally pro-choice.

No

No

No

Yes

Generally like satire above all other forms of comedy and are far less likely to get the wrong end of the stick whilst watching it.

No but it is funny

My GF is english.. go figure

I know a lot of Chrisitan Veggies

No

Atheists like stereotypes

No

Can't say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Atheists in Ireland often seem to be more right-wing (liberal, I mean) than theists.

This makes no sense. The term 'right-wing' very much implies a conservative anti-liberal viewpoint.

I would disagree that they are "rational, sceptical creatures". Such people exist on both sides of the God divide, as do their opposites.

It is an inescapable fact that religious belief is the very antithesis of rationality, and that for most atheists it is/was their applying a rational sceptical mindset to the world around them that led to their atheistic stance in the first place. This ain't a 50-50 divide I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Phototoxin wrote: »
    Generally pro-choice.

No -

No

No

Yes

No but it is funny

My GF is english.. go figure

I know a lot of Chrisitan Veggies

Are you answering for yourself or just saying words?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Finally I'm cool...

Oh you arent one of the typical ones. (I am :cool:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭mickeydevine

Generally pro-choice.

I'd say pro choice covers it all really altough I'm not so sure about anti-death penalty. Murderers and baby-rapists should be hung by the neck until they are dead IMO. Failing that build a huge dome on some island off the coast with no doors or windows and let them duke it out for the meagre rations we provide a la Jet Lee in "The One". (Pay-per-view of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

aidan24326 wrote: »
    This makes no sense. The term 'right-wing' very much implies a conservative anti-liberal viewpoint.

I think he's talking about fiscal liberalism, which is free-market conservatism.

Hurin - I honestly have no clue where you get the idea that atheists are right-wing in their outlook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

I'd say pro choice covers it all really altough I'm not so sure about anti-death penalty. Murderers and baby-rapists should be hung by the neck until they are dead IMO. Failing that build a huge dome on some island off the coast with no doors or windows and let them duke it out for the meagre rations we provide a la Jet Lee in "The One". (Pay-per-view of course)

I'm pro-life.
    Are you answering for yourself or just saying words?

Myself I do not presume to steriotype people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

I think he's talking about fiscal liberalism, which is free-market conservatism.

Hurin - I honestly have no clue where you get the idea that atheists are right-wing in their outlook.

Because according to him we are close minded and illiberal due to our rejection of certain man made institutions where the reverse is true. He's doing the whole fight fire with fire tactic but pretty poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

We think we're good-looking, cool and brilliant in bed ... which is why we should chat up theistic women ... they'd believe delusional fairytales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

how are they more so?

Because most atheists lack a competing set of memes that carry an assumed moral authority.
    LZ5by5 wrote: »
    *puts hand to forehead*

LZ forsees this thread descending into a "rational -v- irrational" slanging match.

It's OK, I'm not taking the bait.

It's not instrinsic to atheism, it's just a trend I've noticed in this country. I've noticed that atheists tend to be liberal on social issues, but usually to the right of Christians on economic issues.
    Because according to him we are close minded and illiberal due to our rejection of certain man made institutions where the reverse is true. He's doing the whole fight fire with fire tactic but pretty poorly.

Wow, someone's really looking for a flame war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

It's not instrinsic to atheism, it's just a trend I've noticed in this country. I've noticed that atheists tend to be liberal on social issues, but usually to the right of Christians on economic issues.

How so?
    Wow, someone's really looking for a flame war.

Not really just calling it as I consistently see it.

Advertisement