Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portrait of an atheist?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Myksyk wrote: »
    We think we're good-looking, cool and brilliant in bed ... which is why we should chat up theistic women ... they'd believe delusional fairytales.
    Well, when a certain well-known religious hero took three days to rise again, and still hasn't managed a second coming -- I'd like to think that most atheists are better in bed than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

robindch wrote: »
    I'd like to think that most atheists are better in bed than that!

Ah ... is that what they mean when they say we atheists have the horns of the devil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Not really just calling it as I consistently see it.
    That's an unacceptable excuse for putting words in someone else's mouth, especially given that your presumptions do not match my thoughts at all.

"I've noticed that atheists tend to be liberal on social issues, but usually to the right of Christians on economic issues."

I don't see what's difficult to understand about this statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Húrin wrote: »
    That's an unacceptable excuse for putting words in someone else's mouth, especially given that your presumptions do not match my thoughts at all.

I'm not sure I understand. Care to enlighten me? All I'm saying is that a tactic I've seen used in the many endless spiralling threads is that we who are not of any religious persuasion follow just as much dogma(a common one it seems) as those who do. An example would be PDN saying something to the effect "I remember my atheist faith"(not his exact words but close enough).

Húrin wrote: »
    "I've noticed that atheists tend to be liberal on social issues, but usually to the right of Christians on economic issues."

I don't see what's difficult to understand about this statement.

I don't see how its true. I like an example is all. Tis a bold statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭vinchick

Generally pro-choice.

Nearly always pro stem cell research.

Generally pro gay marriage.

Mostly anti-death penalty

Generally like satire above all other forms of comedy and are far less likely to get the wrong end of the stick whilst watching it.

Not as nationalist as non atheists

Vegetarians tend to be generally atheist in my experience.

I would very much agree with the above. All the veggies I know describe themselves as humanist, and I know quite a few.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

I'm not sure I understand. Care to enlighten me? All I'm saying is that a tactic I've seen used in the many endless spiralling threads is that we who are not of any religious persuasion follow just as much dogma(a common one it seems) as those who do. An example would be PDN saying something to the effect "I remember my atheist faith"(not his exact words but close enough).

That is a line of argument I often make with regard to various subjects (especially epistemology) but I don't see how it is relevant to this political discussion:

Both right and left, liberal and conservative all have their dogmas. There are no dogma-free people, at least not in western civilisation.

Advertisement