Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 12Mb ?????

Options
  • 02-03-2009 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hey ppl,

Just doing a speed check here and I think for the first time in Irish history I may have a broadband speed FASTER than my Package
    I'm on UPC 10Mb however I'm pulling in at least 11 and sometimes 12Mb.
    Also my upload which should be 1Mb is nearly touching 1.4Mb!

Anyone else experiencing this??

421512798.png

EDIT: Woah 13Mb, sweet!! :)

421515475.png

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Your speed is in megabit and that is a bit different than megabyte.
    Try this calculator and you ll see you are actually still not hitting the 12 Mb...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

421530127.png

On "10meg" here...:(

i find this most accurate.

http://speedtest.magnet.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

I know this is slightly off-topic for the thread...

what are folk's thoughts about M-lab (http://www.measurementlab.net/)? I tend to get poorer results on M-lab but I put this down to the closest server being in Zurich.

Saying that, I saw differences of 6->15 mbps on a 20mbps connection which indicates that UPCs external transits / peering connections may be a bottleneck in some cases... I ruled out the M-lab folk as they are on an education network in Zurich and tend to be able to handle a lot of data (more than they typically ever get).

Also - a fairly common question on here seems to be how to monitor your connection and quality of service... Most people don't realise that you need to use a direct connection from your pc/laptop to the modem to accurately measure this (many consumer routers cause bottlenecks and will reduce the throughput to the modem). Would it be useful to put together a guide on how to get accurate data about your internet connection?

Advertisement