Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC broadband. Moving House

Options
  • 02-03-2009 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭

Im using UPC for broadband and im moving house soon. Im pretty sure their broadband isnt available where im moving to. My question is if its not available what can I do. Im only about 4 months into a year long contract. Surely they cant hold me to it if they dont cover the area im moving to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

jonny666 wrote: »
    Im using UPC for broadband and im moving house soon. Im pretty sure their broadband isnt available where im moving to. My question is if its not available what can I do. Im only about 4 months into a year long contract. Surely they cant hold me to it if they dont cover the area im moving to?

Yes they can, you signed a one year contract, not their fault you moving. If you are keeping the TV service in the new house they are normally sound however.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jaffa20

If it is available where you are moving, just get it transferred over for free.

If it is not, ring them before you move and say that because of their recent charge increases, you wish to cancel your contract without a cancelation free as they broke them terms of the contract you signed at the beginning. They won't chase after you once you say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

i dont have tv with them. Just the broadband. Ive a feeling il get stuck with some cancelation fees alright. Same thing happened with eircom although they only charged me a final bill of 25euro which wasnt too bad. I suppose i should jus stop moving!!

What were the recent charge increases ne ways? I didnt realise there was any!!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

Some things to bear in mind:

- You need to give UPC (aka NTL / Chorus) at least one month's notice
    - The end date will be 30 days from when you notify them. Expect it to take 3-4 phone calls and 30-60 days to get any more they owe you back from them.
    - Make sure you do everything in writing (they sometimes indicate that email is enough but it isn't).
    - If they cannot provide the service in your new location then it's a legally grey area as to whether they can enforce this *
    - Arrange a date for collection of the broadband equipment. NTL kept ringing me for collection of the equipment after I had moved house (and county) despite me asking them explicitly if they want their equipment back. If they decline to collect it before your move out date, ask for confirmation in writing (to save issues down the road).

* This may have changed since I moved in November (confirmed by an agent when I upgraded to 20mb and knew i was moving out of the house in 3-4 months). I did notice language in an agreement I signed with them last month (i was of no fixed abode for 2-3 months) that may indicate this has changed though.

Advertisement