Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photos for a Make Up Artists Portfolio C&C

• 02-03-2009 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

My friend is a Make Up Artist who wants to put together a portfolio of images to showcase her work. I'm taking some shots for her and was wondering what ye think! Next session is Wednesday, so any comments suggestions welcome.
    Camera settings:- F9 @1/160 ISO 100
    3309517447_4eb239e689_o.jpg
    3322765937_ce35084bd9_o.jpg
    3322765401_df7b608829.jpg

Just starting with this flickr business but a few more here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭ownknee

Not sure I like the pics. The first one has way too much shine on her face, the second one is a bit boring & the third one looks like she's trying to pout but hasn't quite got the hang of it.
    Be careful with skin tones too, the third one has a noticeable difference between her face & shoulder due to the make up.
    Get a few props. Like how about getting your friend to make up the dark haired girl with dramatic eyes, red lipstick & have the model bite into a bright green apple while looking up at you? The contrast of colours could work really well.
    If it was me taking photos for your friend I'd put a good bit of thought into bridal, debs & bebo make up.
    Brides & debs are going to be her bread & butter. And bebo pics done professionally are getting popular. Ye could make it a team effort that she does the make up & you take the pics & hey presto you might have yourself a nice little earner.
    I love black & white or sepia tones too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

I would say that for a make-up artists portfolio there is definately too much shine. That's like one of their jobs - to make sure skin does not shine so much, so one of you is doing something wrong.

Just my 2 cents.

PS. the 2nd photo has a big problem in the bottom left corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭ownknee

sasar wrote: »
    I would say that for a make-up artists portfolio there is definately too much shine. That's like one of their jobs - to make sure skin does not shine so much, so one of you is doing something wrong.

Just my 2 cents.

I didn't want to say anything but does it look like the dark haired girl has way too much foundation on her face?
    I'm not trying to be awkward or anything...
    Are my eyes failing me or does she look ok to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Panhour

My lights were very close to her, so it could be me.. I've never taken anything like that before, so didn't know what to expect.
    I was going to try a black background the next time, to see will that work better.
    Thanks for the apple tip too, I'll definitely try that, and see can she get me a few props.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭paulkellypix

Panhour wrote: »
    My lights were very close to her, so it could be me.. I've never taken anything like that before, so didn't know what to expect.
    I was going to try a black background the next time, to see will that work better.
    Thanks for the apple tip too, I'll definitely try that, and see can she get me a few props.

Have you got a snoot? Great and very flattering light for this sort of thing.

this is one I tried in my last shoot - obviously the face is not close up here, but you get the idea.

3270975805_f801905608_o.jpg

Paul

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

The lights being very close would tipically make the skin shine less. IMO i'd say it's the makeup.

I saw this on the net the other day and made a screen shot so I wouldn't forget. It should come in handy for both of you. :)

73974.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Here's a shoot I did for a make up artists portfolio last year. Outdoors, overcast with one small reflector shot with the Sigma 105mm 2.8 macro lens on a D3. You might find somethign that might help you with ideas etc... I kept it pretty simple on the day. I had no lighting set up and just worked with what I had.

Here

I have a snoot, don't think I ever used it, will give that a go too.
    Thanks for all the advice so far!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i think a white back round would be better than black and a snoot might be a bit harsh.... a softbox or umbrella would be better imo, maybe tiny bitta soft focus to improve the texture... and throw in some angel eyes for good measure :D

pete4130 wrote: »
    Here's a shoot I did for a make up artists portfolio last year. Outdoors, overcast with one small reflector shot with the Sigma 105mm 2.8 macro lens on a D3. You might find somethign that might help you with ideas etc... I kept it pretty simple on the day. I had no lighting set up and just worked with what I had.

Here

Thanks Pete4130, they look great! really sharp and the colour is lovely in them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Just another thing, If you want to do a black background next time, drop the power on the flash, set your aperture for the subject then up the shutter speed to as fast as you can sync. This will make the ambient light go dark while the Key light (your flash) will remain constant. If it's still not dark enough, play around with different shutter speeds, ISO and flash power. You won't be far off.

I hope this helps.

Dave OS

Advertisement