Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this legal?

Options
  • 02-03-2009 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am 15 and recently went to my local Londis. I went to buy 6 eggs for my mom and they refused to sell them to to me. They took a stereotypical view of me and did not sell them to me in case i were to throw them at people/buildings. Is this legal?

Thanks for your time,
    Kingofthe3rdYrs:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Yes it is legal. Shops don't have to sell you anything they don't want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Own up OP, you were going to throw those eggs, weren't you :p

While a shop shouldn't discriminate and there are guidelines from the Equality Authority on this, you certainly don't fall under this.

They don't have to sell you the eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Why do all Irish kids now spell it "mom"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

I know that my local veg. shop refuses to sell eggs to young lads/girls around Halloween time. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Sleipnir wrote: »

Never knew Irish goats could write so fair play to them even if it is an americanism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

dh0661 wrote: »
    I know that my local veg. shop refuses to sell eggs to young lads/girls around Halloween time. Fair play to them.

Same happens with ours!

padocon wrote: »
    Same happens with ours!

Do we shop in the same veg. shop I wonder ? -- PM sent

dh0661 wrote: »
    Do we shop in the same veg. shop I wonder ? -- PM sent

Got no PM???

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm afraid that shops can indeed refuse the right to sell goods. It's tough, but there you go. Unfortunately, the shop has enough experience of this in the past to feel that such a refusal was warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

We also refuse to sell eggs to youths at halloween in the shop that i work in but apart from that time of year we have no problem selling them to youths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

We also refuse to sell eggs to youths at halloween in the shop that i work in but apart from that time of year we have no problem selling them to youths.

If i was a youth i'd just buy them sooner. That way you'd have the added benefit that they'd be nice and rotten come halloween :pac:

Aren't shops missing out on profits??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You could ask the Equality Authority, if it's anything they can investigate, but I believe that ageism, like sexism, only counts in one direction.

jor el wrote: »
    You could ask the Equality Authority,

I can imagine the reaction of the guy in my local veg shop if he got a visit from the equality authority would be - oh sorry we're all out of eggs.

You could ask the Equality Authority, if it's anything they can investigate, but I believe that ageism, like sexism, only counts in one direction.

I think you're right about that. Otherwise any law regarding people under 18 would be illegal and I don't think insurance companies would be allowed charge young people more

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Which direction would that be?

I think you are wrong about that.

However, I think the shopkeeper is entitled to form a view, he may not be depending on age alone (or he may be, I don't know).

There are a lot of specifics and particulars to be considered.

To be honest, I would leave it alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Sleipnir wrote: »

"Celtic Tiger" ??? :rolleyes::D

Which direction would that be?

I think you are wrong about that.

According to www.equality.ie
    The Equal Status Acts 2000 to 2004 prohibit discrimination on the following nine grounds:

* The gender ground: A man, a woman or a transsexual person (see note below);
    * The marital status ground: Single, married, separated, divorced or widowed;
    * The family status ground: Pregnant, a parent of a person under 18 years or the resident primary carer or parent of a person with a disability;
    * The sexual orientation ground: Gay, lesbian, bisexual or heterosexual;
    * The religion ground: Different religious belief, background, outlook or none;
    * The age ground: This only applies to people over 18 except for the provision of car insurance to licensed drivers under that age;
    * The disability ground: This is broadly defined including people with physical, intellectual, learning, cognitive or emotional disabilities and a range of medical conditions.
    * The race ground: A particular race, skin colour, nationality or ethnic origin;
    * The Traveller community ground: People who are commonly called Travellers, who are identified both by Travellers and others as people with a shared history, culture and traditions, identified historically as a nomadic way of life on the island of Ireland.

http://www.equality.ie/index.asp?locID=77&docID=49#q2

Advertisement