Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSP season 5

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭a147pro

yes, yes, it would have looked like it was an awful play. when Dwan fired on the turn I was like 'hah you cocky fcuk, you're p*ssing away money cos you think you can run over everyone, go on Peter, cream him!'

followed by 'fcuk I can't believe he just got that through, what a play'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

The 24 hand is just too hard to play with the stacks that deep. If he calls the turn he's committed to calling off another 200BBs+ on the river with a bluff catcher.

Calling him scared money is ridiculous. Sure Durr is playing laggy but there's just nothing Eastgate can do in certain spots. Like the JJ hand, calling the flop is just not feasible unless he's going to call eveyr other street. He knows tha Durr knows he never has an ace so he's going to be playign a guessing game against one of the best players in the world for his entire stack. The only other time we say Durr cold 4bet he had AA.

5betting and calling JJ for more than 200BBs may be ok against durr sometimes, but we're shown an edited version of the show so we have no idea on the exact table conditions atr the time.

I think he's played very well. He should have bet the turn vs Eli with QQ, but he hasn't made any big mistakes in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I really hate Tom Dwan, geeky fool who never shuts up. I wouldn't mind if he was interesting, he's just a boring little ****.

He'll never be anything remotely like Negreanu, in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

I really hate Tom Dwan, geeky fool who never shuts up. I wouldn't mind if he was interesting, he's just a boring little ****.

Im sure this is durrrr aim, although if this keeps up he will own Negreanu:D

He'll never own anyone, no matter who he beats. I don't care how good/lucky/rich he gets, it's his personality I dislike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

I don't get the animosoty towards Durr at all. Did he say something stupid? Has he been rude to anyone? Is he arrogant or pompous? No to all of the above surely?

lol @ calling someone who is clearly very talented a "fool".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Lol so jealous.

What he'll never be a spewy donk, id say thats his aim tbh.

I don't dislike him at all apart from the fact that he thinks he is so much better than anyone else in the world that he can put up 1.5 million to their .5 million. This is unnecessarily cocky and indicative of an over inflated ego. I think he comes accross as grand on the show. He was a bit of a dick when Eastgate flat called on the river with trips and the affected yawning while awaiting the turn and river in the 700 odd k pot with Greenstein was a bit annoying too. But in general he's one of those lads you'd love to meet or play against.

NickyOD wrote: »
    I don't get the animosoty towards Durr at all. Did he say something stupid? Has he been rude to anyone? Is he arrogant or pompous? No to all of the above surely?

lol @ calling someone who is clearly very talented a "fool".

It's called 'opinion' - Or should I just post what you'd like to hear huh? He's a fool the way he talks utter shoite at the tables, trying to get in with the big boys LOL. I just don't like him, nothing about him says 'great' or 'interesting' - He won some big money, wow ... I really don't give a toss if you like him or not, I just said 'I' do not. Didn't think his fanclub would be out after me :D:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭RedJoker

a147pro wrote: »
    I don't dislike him at all apart from the fact that he thinks he is so much better than anyone else in the world that he can put up 1.5 million to their .5 million. This is unnecessarily cocky and indicative of an over inflated ego.

His winrate needs to only be about 1.5bb/100 to make the offer profitable for him. For nosebleed stakes that might be significant but it's hardly "so much better than anyone else".

• Advertisement

I'm not sure I follow you. If he wins 1 sb more than his opponent over the how ever many hands its profitable. The point is he thinks he is sufficiently better than any given player in the world

a) to put up a million that they don't have to
    b) to tell everyone about it

Poker being poker, and I'm not sure how many hands he's going to play, you would want to think yourself 'sufficiently better than anyone else' be sure that you will be ahead over those hands so as to wager an extra million. As Ivey points out, the amount which could be lost plaing that many hands at those stakes is huge of itself, without throwing a million on top. You would expect the difference between the top players to be so tiny that the odds are it might not be manifested over that amount of hands. Dwan doesn't think so and I presume he then thinks he has a significant edge. (But again, I can't recall how many hands they're playing - its four table HU pot limit omahah I think?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

Well I didn't like him at first, but after watching three or four episodes of poker after dark cash games with Helmuth sitting beside him, he now seems OK.

I'm not sure I follow you. If he wins 1 sb more than his opponent over the how ever many hands its profitable.

There's a probability associated with him winning that 1 sb. If his actual winrate was 1 sb per 50,000 hands he'd be in a hugely -EV situation making this offer (his EV would be about -$500,000). There's a difference between true winrate and what he wins over a 50,000 hand sample.

His true winrate needs to be over about 1.5bb/100 hands to make this offer.
    The point is he thinks he is sufficiently better than any given player in the world

a) to put up a million that they don't have to
    b) to tell everyone about it

Poker being poker, and I'm not sure how many hands he's going to play, you would want to think yourself 'sufficiently better than anyone else' be sure that you will be ahead over those hands so as to wager an extra million. As Ivey points out, the amount which could be lost plaing that many hands at those stakes is huge of itself, without throwing a million on top. You would expect the difference between the top players to be so tiny that the odds are it might not be manifested over that amount of hands. Dwan doesn't think so and I presume he then thinks he has a significant edge. (But again, I can't recall how many hands they're playing - its four table HU pot limit omahah I think?)

It's 50,000 hands. It could be pot limit omaha or no limit holdem I believe. For no limit holdem his edge needs to be over about 1.5bb/100. For omaha it's probably more but I don't know enough about that game to give you an estimate of what his edge would need to be there, it would have to be higher though.

I understand none of that, but I presume you saying he needs to be able to win an average of 1.5BB more than his opponent every 100 hands in order for it to be profitable to put up an extra million? I don't play cash, is that a lot?

What's the 'score' at the moment between him and Ivey so?

I understand none of that, but I presume you saying he needs to be able to win an average of 1.5BB more than his opponent every 100 hands in order for it to be profitable to put up an extra million? I don't play cash, is that a lot?

What's the 'score' at the moment between him and Ivey so?

Yeah, exactly. It's 1.5bb though, not 1.5BB. A BB is two big blinds, a bb is one big blind.

No, it's not very big at all but might be in nosebleed games.

He's playing Antonius at the moment, not Ivey. TD -$24,956.00 PA +$23,467.50 22h3m 7,087 hands.

So Antonius is winning at a rate of 0.83bb/100 hands so far. Since he's only up half a buy-in you can see how small the winrate actually is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

durrr is the friggin nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

It's called 'opinion' - Or should I just post what you'd like to hear huh? He's a fool the way he talks utter shoite at the tables, trying to get in with the big boys LOL. I just don't like him, nothing about him says 'great' or 'interesting' - He won some big money, wow ... I really don't give a toss if you like him or not, I just said 'I' do not. Didn't think his fanclub would be out after me :D:P

I haven't seen a response this childish since jacykback called me a tool, except maye this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

I thought it was a pretty good episode. I almost feel sorry for Daniel, he should of left a long time ago. God only knows what Zigmund is doing

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

Durrr is in complete control. He seems to be playing as near to perfection as you can. Every single hand it seems like he knows exactly where he is. The 44 hand with Eastgate was an example with Eastgate weakly checking. Durrr knows the image he has and is exploiting it to the maximum. Does it really matter what his persoanlity is like? Chances are you'll never been good enough to sit at a table with him. If you don't enjoy watching his brillant plays, then just don't watch high stakes poker. Watching him play is well worth any annoying personality traits he has.

In this season, my estimations of Greensteins has gone down. That 'math is idiotic' line was just a cover up for a really poor call.

Negreanu seems out of his depth and to top it off he's getting very unlucky. The K10 of hearts hand proved it. Was hoping he would get action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

The dynamics of the Durrr challenge could get very interesting when the hand limit is approaching, depending on who is ahead by what amount.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Suited

I've enjoyed watching Durr and although his traits at the table are annoying, he is great to watch. I would be more intersted to see him in season 6. I'm sure he will have to make a major adjustment to his style of play. Don't like Doyles strategy so far, he seems to be trying to play small pots and then hoping to hit a monster, his old way was way more profitable eg flop a set, bet it hard or re raising his big pairs pre. He always seemed to get customers. I think Danial Negranu is just running bad which has obviously happend before, and will happen again, it's just unfortunate that we can see it on a high profile show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Watching him play is well worth any annoying personality traits he has.

Like holding his breath at key points during hands. fcukin annoying that is. He's trumping them though, making them look like fools in some parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭cuterob

God only knows what Zigmund is doing

i picked up a magazine in the jackpot the other night and his face is on it..there was an interview in it where he said he's the biggest no limit fish..pretty sure he said he's the worst player in hsp too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

In this season, my estimations of Greensteins has gone down. That 'math is idiotic' line was just a cover up for a really poor call.

I think you slightly missed the point of the comment. He said it for charity so he had to pick a hand where he knew for a fact it would be shown on tv and this hand obviously fitted the bill. He wasn't actually using it as justification.

cuterob wrote: »
    i picked up a magazine in the jackpot the other night and his face is on it..there was an interview in it where he said he's the biggest no limit fish..pretty sure he said he's the worst player in hsp too

Eli Elezra takes some beating

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

I thought it was a pretty good episode.

So did I. Thought it was pretty enjoyable. I'd love to know what Zigmund is thinking. He really doesn't have even the slightest hand reading skills.

cooker3 wrote: »
    I think you slightly missed the point of the comment. He said it for charity so he had to pick a hand where he knew for a fact it would be shown on tv and this hand obviously fitted the bill. He wasn't actually using it as justification.

Suppose still though, it was still a horrible play, he was totally frustrated at that point.

Did Brunson play one hand in the last episode? What's the point in him even being there?

ianmc38 wrote: »
    So did I. Thought it was pretty enjoyable. I'd love to know what Zigmund is thinking. He really doesn't have even the slightest hand reading skills.

He does proclaim to be a NLH donk. Think his main game is PLO. That's if I remember the interview with him on Bluff magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Zigmund demonstrates a lot of skill in the way he's able to keep his hoodie perched on the back of his cranium without it falling off. Not since Simon Adebisi has such a technique been successfully carried off.

• Advertisement

NickyOD wrote: »
    I haven't seen a response this childish since jacykback called me a tool, except maye this one.

Or since the one I've just quoted?

Man, be a dick all you like, I couldn't give a rat's ...

I gave an opinion, you had a cry because it differed from yours, you seem like a knob about it so you get that response - it's very simple. Act like an adult and you won't get "childish" responses. Do you just hang around here all day waiting for someone to post an opinion you disagree with? then 'try' to act all clever in retort? ... don't give up the day job son ;)

Advertisement