Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Carb - but what to eat for breakfast?

• 02-03-2009 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all,

For the last few months, Ive started eating a more low carb diet. For years of having sandwiches for lunch I have discovered that when I have salad or soup instead I feel less lethargic and have more general energy.

I thought I would try a similar thing for breakfast but am struggling to find ideas of what to eat.
    I love eggs but am worries about eating them every day (maybe I shouldnt worry?) but was wondering whether anyone has other good alternatives.

I dont like porrige or similar cereal but if anyone has any suggestions including the off-beat I would be grateful to hear

PS Im not extremely hard-core about no carbs, I have just found out that most cereals have similar sugars to chocolate bars!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you accept that pigs are not the only animal you can eat for breakfast you could have steak or chicken. eggs are fine, check out these links
    http://squibble.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055204424
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59076258
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055229715

Also I use porridge oats to make pancakes, so you get an egg in too.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055002535

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Eat your eggs, they improve your ratio of LDL to HDL cholesterol, so they actually reduce your chances of heart disease.

My typical low carb breakfast is a mushroom or herb omlette. I'm running out of mushrooms, so tomorrow it might be a leek omlette. I also like thin cut steak. Sounds weird, but it cooks really quickly and it really sets you up for the day. Have a steak for breakfast (and some veg) and you won't be hungry again until mid afternoon.

I usually keep some soup in the fridge (I love chicken and brussel sprout soup) and have a bowlful of that if I'm in a hurry.

You can also made a sort of low carb "cake" with egg yolks, cocoa and sweetener folded into whisked egg white and baked for ten minutes. Or just whisk some cocoa into your eggs and make a chocolate omlette.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tesco do really thin steaks sometimes, it is like rashers. Tesco also now do "healthy living" rashers, these have only a tiny bit of fat on them. Just the nice big round bit, no straggly bits. However, like a lot of their "heatlhy" range it is not great, in this case it is loaded with salt still.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

You could also have some cottage cheese and some chopped fruit, like a small apple

Or yogurt, fruit and vanilla whey protein powder -yum!

I'm low-carbing but can't resist oats in the morning so I mix in vanilla whey to improve the ratios.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I dont low carb but kippers for breakfast are wonderful sometimes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I dont low carb but kippers for breakfast are wonderful sometimes...

Any tips on how to make them less salty? I love my salt, but even I find kippers are a bit OTT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭jpjc05

Poached egg on wholemeal bread or turkey rashers. Both yummy and low carbs

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Winter

taconnol wrote: »
    You could also have some cottage cheese and some chopped fruit, like a small apple

Or yogurt, fruit and vanilla whey protein powder -yum!

I'm low-carbing but can't resist oats in the morning so I mix in vanilla whey to improve the ratios.

Thanks for all the tips, excuse my ignorance but what's whey protein powder?
    and more importantly what does it taste like?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

OK whey protein powder is a powder, made from the whey part of milk that's high in protein! It's basically a really convenient way to get more protein into your diet.

You can get it in loads of flavours, but the most common ones are vanilla, chocolate and maybe banana. You can also get it unflavoured but I've never tried it.

There are a lot of companies with a lot of products so it can take a bit to find the ones you like. My personal favourites are IDS's Vanilla Cream & Belgian Chocolate (thanks G'em for alerting me to their existence!!):

http://www.universalnutrition.ie/viewproduct/18

Normally, the cheapest place to buy them is online but you can also go into stores to get some. For example, Holland and Barrett (not recommended..), some health food stores and some dedicated sports nutrition stores (there's one on Capel St, Camden St and er..I think it's Ormond Quay.

You can mix the powder with water or milk or you can cook with it - something I've only started doing lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Winter

Thanks very much, you learn something new every day
    Will have to check it out

• Advertisement
Advertisement