Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sorry... No bag for you

Options
  • 02-03-2009 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭

Maybe not a consumer issue but a load of b******s if you ask me. I went to dunnes straight after work. I didn't bring any bags with me

I asked for a paper bag and the kind ot so kind and helpful not at all helpful lady said "No, sorry you cannot have a paper bag unless you buy something from drapery."

I wasn't buying much but I did have a bit of a handful going home. Thought it was very stingy.

Next time I go to dunnes, if I can't carry it, i'm not buying it. Thanks very much all the same ben but i'll take my business elsewhere.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Keep a plastic bag in your pocket. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

You could have bought a plastic bag , it defeats the whole purpose of the levy if they start to give every one a paper bag instead.

btw ben wont be too bothered if you never go back.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Especially as he no longer works for them!!!

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

its called basic customer service, it would not have taken much to give the op a bag..its all money money money and not enough customer service but i think dunnes stores check out staff are always rude...(in my experience anyway)they seem always to busy chatting bout last nights escapades than to do their jobs....(dont mind people having a chat when not serving but when they are concentrate) try tesco shopping i find them really good and many times cheaper....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

OP - surely you could have picked up a box, the same as you would have if you were in Lidl or Aldi.
    I think that Dunnes are quiet right to refuse a paper bag.
    If they gave one customer a paper bag they would probably end up giving at least 75% of their customers paper bags for their grocery shopping.

• Advertisement

ah now you wouldnt fit much into a paper bag certainly not your weekly shop so there wouldnt be that much demand...just a lazy assistant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

a plastic bag is cheap.buy one.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

the op was being cheap and didn';t want to pay the 15c or whatever it is for a plastic bag, the staff member followed store guidelines correctly

sure the op feels hard done by but the problem is with the OP and not dunnes or the staff member.

+1 for Dunnes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

dh0661 wrote: »
    OP - surely you could have picked up a box, the same as you would have if you were in Lidl or Aldi.
    I think that Dunnes are quiet right to refuse a paper bag.
    If they gave one customer a paper bag they would probably end up giving at least 75% of their customers paper bags for their grocery shopping.
    They had no problem giving out plastic bags until the government brought in a levy, so I don't see what they'd have against giving out paper bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Paper bags are not made for groceries and people complain about them tearing when they stuff groceries into them. The paper bags are for drapery. The plastic bags are for grocery.

They are also bought in under different budgets, so if people start taking paper bags for grocery, grocery are basically taking from the drapery budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Shelflife wrote: »
    You could have bought a plastic bag , it defeats the whole purpose of the levy if they start to give every one a paper bag instead.

No it wouldn't. The purpose of the levy (officially) was to stop people using plastic bags either by bringing their own or using bio degradable paper bags. Giving out paper bags would fit into exactly the purpose of the levy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I'd rather pay 22cent for those paper bags than the ****ty plastic ones which tear once you put more than one item into it.

Anyway, i just bring my own lidl bag everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've seen Tesco and Dunnes do this in previous situations. I see nothing wrong with what Dunnes did in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

It's nice though in these harrowed recessional times that all the OP has to worry about is a bag:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Gillo wrote: »
    It's nice though in these harrowed recessional times that all the OP has to worry about is a bag:rolleyes:

Well put, yeah its a recession but 15c?come on:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    No it wouldn't. The purpose of the levy (officially) was to stop people using plastic bags either by bringing their own or using bio degradable paper bags. Giving out paper bags would fit into exactly the purpose of the levy :)

true sam, but it was the sheer volume and waste of the bags that was the problem, people getting plastic bags for a card of chocolate or an apple and then throwing it in the bin outside, the same would happen if paper bags were given out, the system would be abused again and excess waste would occur. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

http://www.storagesolutions.ie/product.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=120&P_ID=554

Storage Solutions on Harold's Cross Road (near Leinster Road) has these strong shopping bags in what feels like ripstop nylon for under a fiver; they roll up into a little 2" x 1" pouch with a clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Shelflife wrote: »
    true sam, but it was the sheer volume and waste of the bags that was the problem, people getting plastic bags for a card of chocolate or an apple and then throwing it in the bin outside, the same would happen if paper bags were given out, the system would be abused again and excess waste would occur. :)

There would be wastage and one of the points of the levy was to make people bring their own bags but the other point was that if people are going to keep taking bags and either throwing them in the bin or just throwing them on the ground, at least they don't hang around for a million years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Big Wave

Gillo wrote: »

What a stupid post. You could just as flippantly & ignorantly apply your post to 95% of topics on here - it serves no purpose. :rolleyes: And where did he say that's "all he has to worry about"? And so what if it is? He's still entitled to make a post about a consumer issue. While I don't agree with his point, I agree with his right to make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

krudler wrote: »
    Well put, yeah its a recession but 15c?come on:rolleyes:

Actually since JULY 2007, plastic bags now cost 22c. Interesting to see the number of people who still think it's 15c... 2 years on :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

soc wrote: »
    Actually since JULY 2007, plastic bags now cost 22c. Interesting to see the number of people who still think it's 15c... 2 years on :rolleyes:

Isn't that a great way to be? I haven't a clue how much the plastic bag tax is now because I (unlike the OP) have never needed a bag since the Tax came in. Isn't that what the whole idea was? That we stop using the damn things? So why roll the eyes? I'd be more concerned at the number of people who do know the cost today because they keep buying them. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Grocery checkouts do not HAVE any paper bags whatsoever. Not only is there feck all demand for them there, they're incredibly weak anyway. Wouldn't hold a tin of beans.

Likewise, there's feck all plastic bags at the drapery tills too. There's smallish plastic ones that go very fast and are rarely there, and occassionally the stronger bag for life ones, they're 37 cent. Just spalsh out on the levy.

Also, Dunnes are doing quite badly at the moment (drapery-wise) and are hardly likely to order in more paper bags in case someone wants one at a grocery checkout. Not they would have in the good times either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Big Wave wrote: »
    . While I don't agree with his point, I agree with his right to make it.

Why do you want to be called Loretta, Stan?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

soc wrote: »

I've not bought a plastic bag in atleast this long...no wounder I don't know the cost :)

The OP should be the same tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

dunnes staff are not allowed to give paper bags for grocery for simple reason they rip with stock been damage and then replaced and in our store we are very customer friendly

nice to know there is one dunnes stores than can give customer service...hhhmmm refusing a customer request ...great....:rolleyes:

its not refusing a request its doing your job i have had cutomers putting 2 ltrs bottles in paper bags have helped customers pick their shopping up of the ground cause bags ripped and why have people a issue with paying 22c for a bag its 22c come on!

well thankfully there is one nice helpful customer focussed, customer friendly employee of dunnes...i have yet to meet one personally myself i find all rude and very ignorant of me the little customer...dont get me wrong i always get the plastic bags myself..whats a few pence exactly..

but...

i just think if a dunnes employee can see the customer needing assistance, the paper bag costs 0 pennies...they should give it...the OP obviosly didnt have that much if he wanted a paper bag..

well ya if it was bread or something light and i was asked nicely i would give a paper bag or i would to get a box and you should come shop in your little store never rude to a customer unless they asked for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

shezzie wrote: »

i just think if a dunnes employee can see the customer needing assistance, the paper bag costs 0 pennies...they should give it...the OP obviosly didnt have that much if he wanted a paper bag..

Not unless the employee runs up/down the escalator to a drapery checkout...there are none in grocery.

Advertisement