Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Busking

Options
  • 02-03-2009 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭

Just to clear up something that came up in that other ..ahem.. ancient thread:p

You do NOT, repeat, NOT need a busking license to busk, enforced or not, despite what a Garda may tell you to leverage moving you on.
    It is City Council's area of policing. They attempted something a number of years ago but it is not in force.

The community wardens were taking photos of buskers last summer:rolleyes:
    Apparently it was with a view to busting (not busking!) those who were selling CDs without a trading license.

You may be moved on by the cops if you are causing a nuisance, being dangerous etc. Most of the buskers are sound. They share the 'spots' in town and are pretty respectful (bar the odd one or two).

In summer, it gets a bit more cutthroat, and that's when the Guards occasionally mention the *ahem* license. If they do, it's probably a business owner that complained.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

inisboffin wrote: »
    Just to clear up something that came up in that other ..ahem.. ancient thread:p

You do NOT, repeat, NOT need a busking license to busk, enforced or not, despite what a Garda may tell you to leverage moving you on.
    It is City Council's area of policing. They attempted something a number of years ago but it is not in force.

The community wardens were taking photos of buskers last summer:rolleyes:
    Apparently it was with a view to busting (not busking!) those who were selling CDs without a trading license.

You may be moved on by the cops if you are causing a nuisance, being dangerous etc. Most of the buskers are sound. They share the 'spots' in town and are pretty respectful (bar the odd one or two).

In summer, it gets a bit more cutthroat, and that's when the Guards occasionally mention the *ahem* license. If they do, it's probably a business owner that complained.

I thinking of giving it a try.Ive been playing guitar a few years. Do you have any other tips or advice? Im not worried about making money I just want to play in front of people because I never did that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

My mates who busk are all different. Some do covers, some originals, some theatre/juggling/puppet stuff, others just music. If you are not in it for the money, just have fun! If you look nervous people will feel nervous. Smiling is good ;)

You'll have less hassle (and less money) during the day. Chat to some of the other buskers, that's the best way. Try new stuff if you do originals. One of the best buskers I know (who does ok money wise, comparatively) treats it not that different to a gig (and don't 'practice' on the audience) energy wise.
    Another busker I know (who is a pretty amazing trad musician) WILL try out new tunes, but they are so good anyway, that it doesn't matter too much.

Have fun. Stay in tune. Have fun.

Advertisement