Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Camera for Concerts

• 02-03-2009 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

?

Sorry I didnt give a budget.

Up to €200. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

How long is a piece of string? ;)

really - probably D700 or 5DII

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭paulkellypix

Went to Keane there in January and the most annoying thing was the amount of people taking photos with point and shoot digital cameras.

All of them were coming out very dark and the girl beside me asked me to look at her camera to find out why the flash wasn't working

We were sitting 150 feet from the stage - her little flash was not going to illuminate anything further than the row in front of her,

So my advice, unless you are going to be in "the pit" - forget about taking photos at a gig!

Of course, if you get a photo pass, then a D3 or D300 would be ideal.

Paul

So my advice, unless you are going to be in "the pit" - forget about taking photos at a gig!

I think that's pretty poor advice Paul. There are many people on here that get great shots without being in the pit. I say you should have advised that girl to turn her flash off.

Also, comparing a d3 to a d300 is pretty wild. I have both cameras, and the d3 is a much better machine in every aspect aside from size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Probably best to go with a 1Ds MK3, an 85 f1.2L and maybe a 50 f1.2L if you need something a little shorter.

Although for speed, maybe a 1D MK3. Might be good to have that as a second body. 135 f2L might be nice on that.

eas wrote: »
    I think that's pretty poor advice Paul. There are many people on here that get great shots without being in the pit. I say you should have advised that girl to turn her flash off.

Also, comparing a d3 to a d300 is pretty wild. I have both cameras, and the d3 is a much better machine in every aspect aside from size.

I didn't compare one to the other! Just suggested these as being suitable.

I did turn her flash off but the camera shake was terrible.

We were sitting halfway up the balcony in the O2 and she was disappointed she couldn't get a close up - and that it was dark.

My advice is that to get "good" photos at a gig you need more than an entry level P&S camera.

Paul

• Advertisement

well, now that I've had a chance to consider it....hard to beat a d3x with a 200 f2.0 VR.

eas wrote: »
    well, now that I've had a chance to consider it....hard to beat a d3x with a 200 f2.0 VR.

I think the OP needs to indicate a budget before we continue to suggest mad expensive stuff.

Paul

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I think the OP needs to indicate a budget before we continue to suggest mad expensive stuff.

Paul

well realistically not much else cuts it... i find concert photography requires by far the highest standard of quality gear... for the worse return too :-(

I think the OP needs to go back and learn how to start a thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

01FE5B0F10BB4FA39B946F54DFC7A98E-800.jpg

Taken in the Academy from way back on the balcony. (I had a photo pass but I split between the barrier and later to the balcony)

Of course, if you get a photo pass, then a D3 or D300 would be ideal.

I used the 5D II with no flash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

rymus wrote: »
    Probably best to go with a 1Ds MK3, an 85 f1.2L and maybe a 50 f1.2L if you need something a little shorter.

Although for speed, maybe a 1D MK3. Might be good to have that as a second body. 135 f2L might be nice on that.

Ah ye if you have 10 grand to spare..... : )

Well.. so far we have a limitless budget. Actually.. so far we have no detail whatsoever. We have to read the OP's mind apparently.

01FE5B0F10BB4FA39B946F54DFC7A98E-800.jpg

Taken in the Academy from way back on the balcony. (I had a photo pass but I split between the barrier and later to the balcony)

I used the 5D II with no flash.

Is that the P&S model with digital zoom? :p

To be fair to the OP like most people new to Photography they don't quite realise how deep and expensive it actually is.

To be fair to the rest of us, the least the OP could have done is come in with something more than "?".

Even a simple "I'm interested in getting into concert photography, my budget is 200 euro" would have been a brilliant start. This should be locked and used as an example on how not to start a thread tbh.

^ too right lol :). Ok we need a budget to work with before fajitas come round and tries to talk him into medium format.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

sure your phone would take grand photos

sure your phone would take grand photos

I've a Brownie Box and some film - that might work too. :D

Paul

well if we're going cheap.. cornflakes box pinhole ftw..

although the performers might get a bit pissed off when you keep asking them to stay perfectly still for 10 minutes.

well if we're going cheap.. cornflakes box pinhole ftw..

although the performers might get a bit pissed off when you keep asking them to stay perfectly still for 10 minutes.

yeah with aperture priority, stick it at f 700 and make a few cuppas

• Advertisement

there's the OP's answer then. Box of cornflakes at.. I dunno.. 4 euro and a pack of film. Oh and a pin. Job's a goodun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭ciaramc

Sorry I forgot to mention budget up to €200.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭ciaramc

To be fair to the OP like most people new to Photography they don't quite realise how deep and expensive it actually is.

Thanks for backing me up :)

ciaramc wrote: »
    Sorry I forgot to mention budget up to €200.

Where is the gig?

Paul

for 200... better off saving your money and doing the cornflake camera, at least ya wont waste money...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

well I don't think we need worry about that poster coming in and asking any more stupid questions. She's well put in her place.

well I don't think we need worry about that poster coming in and asking any more stupid questions. She's well put in her place.

ah i'm not being a smart ass, its a fact unless you have an slr with a wide aperture lens your gonna get similar results with a 30 euro camera as you would with a 400 euro one...

Second hand 50d and nikkor 50f1.8. Should be fairly cheap

To be fair to the rest of us, the least the OP could have done is come in with something more than "?".

Even a simple "I'm interested in getting into concert photography, my budget is 200 euro" would have been a brilliant start. This should be locked and used as an example on how not to start a thread tbh.
    Great way to scare of newbies.....interesting to see what with you been an ex mod will you get an infraction for your smart arsed replies in this thread. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

landyman wrote: »
    Second hand 50d and nikkor 50f1.8. Should be fairly cheap
    A 50D will not be cheap anytime in the near future and how come a Nikkor lens? :confused:

Great way to scare of newbies.....interesting to see what with you been an ex mod will you get an infraction for your smart arsed replies in this thread. :rolleyes:

the old timers are given a wide birth AR... respek your elderz and that jazz

hehe
    Best post I've enjoyed from you Mel.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭yarglags

I'm sure you could pick up a 35mm SLR and a nice bright lens and have change for the concert ticket.

I think it might be more practical than the pin-hole and cornflakes proposal though not as tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I'd be very surprised if you could get a digital camera and lense suitable for gig photography for €200, but you could definitely get a second hand film camera and lense for a good deal less than €200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Rob Sheridan takes most of NIN's live pics through a 5D MKII and if you've ever checked out those pics, they're quite amazing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

Rob Sheridan takes most of NIN's live pics through a 5D MKII and if you've ever checked out those pics, they're quite amazing...

NIN's has been around long before digital camera's were commonplace never mind a 5d, and yes, I'm old enough to have sat down and had a beer in Dublin with Trent.

Hey, if nobody has told you off for being an idiot so far, I reckon I'm pretty safe. And I may be an ex-mod, but that doesn't mean that I wasn't like this when I was a mod. Read back a few dozen pages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

you might have to hunt for the right bargain and you might have to go a little over budget but if you must have a digital camera and not film i would go for something like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-LX3-Black_W0QQitemZ300297341382QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDigital_Cameras?hash=item300297341382&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

if on such a tight budget though, i would consider a film camera
    (ignore the camera in my sig, i'm not suggesting it to you)

Hey, if nobody has told you off for being an idiot so far, I reckon I'm pretty safe. And I may be an ex-mod, but that doesn't mean that I wasn't like this when I was a mod. Read back a few dozen pages.
    Being an ex-Mod you should have known better than to have that attitude with new posters seeking help and advice, what seems obvious to you is not always to people with far less experience, maybe that blogging award has gone to that swollen head of yours. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

soccerc wrote: »
    NIN's has been around long before digital camera's were commonplace never mind a 5d, and yes, I'm old enough to have sat down and had a beer in Dublin with Trent.

I was speaking about the new ones... from here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nineinchnails/

But major respect for having a beet with Trent!!

• Advertisement

maybe that blogging award has gone to that swollen head of yours. ;)

Don't think so.. I was an asshole before I got it and I'm still one. Some things never change. But you know I love you really. C'mere, givvus a cuddle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Can we please keep things ON TOPIC & quit the sniping.

I am just in the mood to be nasty myself & I have the buttons to actually do it.

CabanSail wrote: »

I am just in the mood to be nasty myself & I have the buttons to actually do it.

are you refering to your trouser buttons....

:)

Advertisement