Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Album - Depeche Mode - Sounds Of The Universe

Options
  • 02-03-2009 9:41pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sounds Of The Universe
    Released: April 20th, 2009 (Europe)
    1. In Chains
    2. Hole To Feed
    3. Wrong
    4. Fragile Tension
    5. Little Soul
    6. In Sympathy
    7. Peace
    8. Come Back
    9. Spacewalker
    10. Perfect
    11. Miles Away / The Truth Is
    12. Jezebel
    13. Corrupt

Die hard fan but the three songs I've heard so far do not fill me full of joy, hope they were the Dave ones and Martins are the remaining 10.
    Please be good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭holton

Looking forward to listening to this. It may be like their last two albums which took a while before I started really appreciating them. I wonder will they announce a gig in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

That new song "Wrong" is awfully crap. Hopefully its not an indicator of the rest of the album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I actually really like it - find it very reminiscent of their Violator period, which is my personal favourite DM era.

Here's the video - it's rather eerie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bsXOcK9_Cw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

great video

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

hhhmmmmmmmm, on the first listening, so so
    Wrong is growing on me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭nix

Pretty sure they are playing in Dublin in December..

Yup

Thursday, December 10th 2009 Dublin, Ireland, 02 - The Point on sale now

Yay!

Wait till i hear new album before i buy any tickets though :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭JacquesD'Ladd

I really like it - listen out for 'Little Soul', 'Miles Away/The Truth Is'. In my humble opinion, these two are as good and better than anything they've ever done. The rest of the album ranges from the superb (such as Fragile Tension) to great in places (Perfect, Peace) to mediocre (from the advance fragments I've heard), but the strength of these first two carry them all! Could potentially be their best album yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Just listened to the whole album
    Very poor
    Apart from Wrong the rest is mediocre.
    This is imo the worst album they have made.
    Been a Mode fan since the first album speak and spell but this is terrible
    The start of Peace reminds me of Leave in silence a bit
    I had high hopes for this when I heard Wrong but this sounds more like Daves solo stuff
    with a mix of the counterfeit albums.
    I thought we were going to get another classic very disappointed.

Rebel021 wrote: »
    Just listened to the whole album
    Very poor
    Apart from Wrong the rest is mediocre.
    Been a Mode fan since the first album speak and spell but this is terrible
    The start of Peace reminds me of Leave in silence a bit
    I had high hopes for this when I heard Wrong but this sounds more like Daves solo stuff
    with a mix of the counterfeit albums.
    I thought we were going to get another classic very disappointed.

Like you I have been a fan since 1981 (but didn't like the last 2 albums much); however, funnily enough I think the whole album is great bar Wrong...:confused:
    each to their own, I guess! it certainly seems to have caused quite a division amongst the followers...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Rebel021 wrote: »

No! Can't be worse than Exciter! Say it ain't so...

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

No! Can't be worse than Exciter! Say it ain't so...
    AS I said its dreadful:(
    However I liked Exciter different strokes I suppose.

I've been on a couple of the DM forums and I haven't seen an Album this divided since SOFAD although that had I feel you,Walking in my shoes,In your room,Higher love and to an extent Condemnation carrying it.

The last few albums haven't been what we have been treated to in the past
    but this is the only album that I only like 1 song:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ArmitageShanks

Have given it a few listens recently and nothing jumps out at me. Ill keep trying because I really do like their earlier stuff but not very hopeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

Lads-I wont listen to it until its released. Where did you download it???
    I remember going into town on release of a new album,then with shaky hands a strong coffee,1000pound hi fi and lights off pressing PLAY........ Depeche have only released one poor album-Exciter and I dont expect this to be the second...

Ultra was a very strong album with 4 great singles and one of Martins finest hours in "home"..and one of my faves..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joeybloggs

I think die hard fans will think its ok, I seriously doubt it will win any new fans.

The highlights (although poor), I think would be Wrong (the video is very good), I think its Peace is the other one, but for me the best track is In Sympathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

not impressed with this album at all

very very very disappointing from the lads

according to their interview in the irish times all songs leaked and heard so far are unfinished... i hope they don't change much though, as i think it was brilliant already - bar a couple of hiccups... such as the high-pitched voice in 'peace'. too much production and meddling can ruin it's raw quality

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

changed my initial thoughts, a rear grower, very happy with it now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Have the Special edition orderd, looking forward to getting it this week. :)

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I still haven't got it. Nowhere in Dublin had either the box set or the vinyl last Friday. Not impressed.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Might be a bit biased as I am a huge fan.
    I think it is a great album, much better than the last one (which I liked aswell)

Wrong is a great tune, in chains is pretty good
    Corrupt has a personal jesus feel about it, In sympathy has to be one of the strongest songs along with fragile tension which could have been off one of the early 80's albums.
    Martin's vocals on Jezebel are great.
    All in all a very strong album but as I said I am a huge fan so maybe not for the casual DM follower.
    Roll on the gig in December.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭dmrules

Hi all, didin't want to listen to leaked versions at all but could not stop myself to hear some parts of it( had mixed feelings), but now after hearing the whole album a few times i think its a good one. Like the idea of using old syntesators(great sound) back to good old electro-pop, would prefer to hear some bonus tracks on final version(ghost, oh well) but can't have it all!, anyway looking forward to see them live in Bilbao and Dublin...!!!!

"It's only when I lose myself in someone else
    Then I find myself
    I find myself"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 breand

new album's brilliant, bar hole to feed and peace
    box set is delicious

Advertisement