Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SWARMING STARLINGS

Options
  • 02-03-2009 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

hi all
    can anyone give me info on extremely large quantities of starling birds swarming and nesting in the midlands region i live in cloghan co offaly where we have phesant pens and opperate a hatchery and rearing sheds but we're getting conserned with the volume of starlings hanging around due to in fection and disease carried by same . the major problem is there roosting in the enclousure where the phesants are .any info would be great are they just stopping over or have they found a new home or is it possible that they're feeding on something in the area and will pass on ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

What kind of wire do you have on the enclosure, anything bigger than 1/4 inch wire will let rodents in so larger wire will let in all sorts incl. birds.
    If the enclosure is wired perhaps re wiring it with 1/4 galvanised aviary wire might work for you.

Starlings seem to nest for a long time, we had only a pair nesting in the old timbers on the house and they were really noisey and were there for a long time (since replaced the damaged timbers). So I would say they will stick around until the end of summer I could be wrong but once they find a nice place for food and nesting they tend to stick there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭ponyirl

What kind of wire do you have on the enclosure, anything bigger than 1/4 inch wire will let rodents in so larger wire will let in all sorts incl. birds.
    If the enclosure is wired perhaps re wiring it with 1/4 galvanised aviary wire might work for you.

Starlings seem to nest for a long time, we had only a pair nesting in the old timbers on the house and they were really noisey and were there for a long time (since replaced the damaged timbers). So I would say they will stick around until the end of summer I could be wrong but once they find a nice place for food and nesting they tend to stick there.

thanks for the reply i prob worded things a bit wrong what we have is an area about 150 mts square of trees sourrounded by 10ft fence turned out at the top and a double strand elec fence positioned 1ft out at the bottom for 4 legged creatures mink etc and its open top for the pheasants to fly in and out for them to roost but this is where the starling are roosting in. for nesting pheasants we have fully enclosed areas for this . our problem is thousands of starling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

See.

http://www.xanga.com/private/yourhome.aspx?user=AnchoressNun&nextdate=1%2f7%2f2009+2%3a56%3a2.710&direction=n

We have fended them off here by making loud noises; eg banging pan lids together.

Wish we had one of those old football rattles.

They hate this and leave; the same applies to magpies.

will chat other club members and see but i'd say it'll prob have effect on the birds we have in captivity thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Are your rearing the pheasants to be shot ?

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    Are your rearing the pheasants to be shot ?

for our our gun club yes we also sell birds to other clubs dayolds and six weekolds

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

How completely & utterly pathetic. Well you might as well shoot the starlings. It should be easy as they flock. Mind you the pheasants will be so tame that they will stick their heads in the barrel. Surely your club would love a good ol Starlin Shoot !.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Oh YUKK.
    ponyirl wrote: »
    for our our gun club yes we also sell birds to other clubs dayolds and six weekolds

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement