Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where in Offaly are you from?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Firstly, I wouldn't post any names on forum.

I'm not far from Edenderry(6 miles), if you want you can PM me the name and I can ask a few friends and see what they know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Im from Moneygall the butt end of the county on the N7 to Limerick half is in Tipp d other in Offaly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 lavman

RAHAN what more can i say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭dancingqueen

I'm from Shinrone, outside Birr.. mad so many locals on Boards.ie :)

Yup! Up the Faithful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

lavman wrote: »
    RAHAN what more can i say

Not much!!!:p:P;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Scawgeen

I'm from Shinrone, outside Birr.. mad so many locals on Boards.ie :)

Yup! Up the Faithful :)

Ah the humble Yup! recognised as a welcoming greeting among Offalians accross the globe. From Pullagh to Mukacheve to Los Angeles and from Tullamore to Timbucktu via Queens. YUP! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭offalyman

shinrone..............i am so sad to say:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Lou08

The great city of Ballycumber!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

The Blueball

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Former Great

Seanie M wrote: »
    Living in Daingean, lived in Tullamore (family home), originally from Canada (long ago).

Seanie.

Seanie the radio 3 man...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Farranm

From Tullamore living on Durrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭nodirectionhome

Daingean.....Shhhh...

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

Daingean.....Shhhh...

Don't broadcast that too loud!!!:P

I know lol, though its not that bad a place but everyone always slags about it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I know lol, though its not that bad a place but everyone always slags about it!!
    I'm co managing the local soccer team there.

I'm rarely here so i wouldnt even know if they were any good!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 emma11811

i live in rhode where did you live

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Frank_Leach

Tullamore...A great place to reside..

Didn't notice many from clara. For the record, and in no may ment to antagonise...

.....where did the term "hawk" originate in relation to clara people?

I always laughed at the term, but no one seems to know what it means or how it started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

I could guess but id probably be banned:D

maybe...but it is a genuine query...i mean, since as long as i can remember the phrase "clara hawks" always popped up. I just never knew why.

Hey, you won't get banned. Come on, shed some light for Offaly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭token56

Not actually from Offaly myself, but my mother and her family are from Shinrone, nice little Village

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Scawgeen

Tullamore...A great place to reside..

Didn't notice many from clara. For the record, and in no may ment to antagonise...

I always laughed at the term, but no one seems to know what it means or how it started.

I believe originally it was a derogatory term just like the Tullamore people were called ''bottlewashers'' but the Clara people seem to have turned it into a badge of honour. I've been told it had to do with how Clara people look you up and down when they meet you '' look you up and down like a hawk'' I could be completely wrong of course.

Scawgeen wrote: »
    I believe originally it was a derogatory term just like the Tullamore people were called ''bottlewashers'' but the Clara people seem to have turned it into a badge of honour. I've been told it had to do with how Clara people look you up and down when they meet you '' look you up and down like a hawk'' I could be completely wrong of course.

wow..o.k., that kinda makes sense. I always wondered.

Never knew the "bottlewashers" term either, i must ask around. Thanks!

Scawgeen wrote: »

Yea have heard the term bottlewashers too.
    Iv heard similiar reasons Scawgeen,
    one was people used to sit outside others houses waiting for the man of the house to leave for work, so they can go in and 'spend' the day with yer mans wife. Watching like hawks. Clara person told me that one.

The other one is they'd snatch (like a hawk) something off ya before ya knew it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pixeedust

Between Portarlington and Tullamore, a village called 'Cloneygowan' :) work in Tullamore though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Wine_Guy

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Yea have heard the term bottlewashers too.
    Iv heard similiar reasons Scawgeen,
    one was people used to sit outside others houses waiting for the man of the house to leave for work, so they can go in and 'spend' the day with yer mans wife. Watching like hawks. Clara person told me that one.
    He probably said that to emphasize we're always ridin or somethin, i never heard that before and i am from clara.....Bottlewashers came cos the locals in tulamore use to wash the bottles for the whiskey plant while distillers and other higher ranking jobs were sourced outside the town

Wine_Guy wrote: »
    He probably said that to emphasize we're always ridin or somethin, i never heard that before and i am from clara.....Bottlewashers came cos the locals in tulamore use to wash the bottles for the whiskey plant while distillers and other higher ranking jobs were sourced outside the town

Sourced from where...Clara? :D
    Makes no sense. Applying your own theory, why place a distillery where there was no labour? Go back to the drawing board with that one Wine Guy..

Wine_Guy wrote: »
    He probably said that to emphasize we're always ridin

Probably:rolleyes: LOL

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Probably:rolleyes: LOL

Always ridin?

Yes, Clara is well known as the Paris of Offaly...and here we have our very own Romeo!
    Can't picture hawks "ridin", can you? :eek:

• Advertisement

Always ridin?

Yes, Clara is well known as the Paris of Offaly...and here we have our very own Romeo!
    Can't picture hawks "ridin", can you? :eek:

Theres so many smart things i can reply, but would be banned Frank:D:D
    We'll give them their dues though. A fair amount of ridin goes on in Clara alright id say.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement