Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Empire: Total War Pricing

Options
  • 02-03-2009 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭

WTF is up with STEAMS pricing?

uk.bestprice.com 31 euro

Play.com 33 euro

Amazon.com 37 euro

Direct2Drive.com 37 euro

Buy.com 38 euro

Gamestop.com 39 euro

STEAM 50 euro

Talk about ripping people off.

Also all the above games with the exception of direct2drive are physical copys, so why the hell is Steam charging 50 poxy euro for the game?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

39 euro on play.com
    Which is where I'll be buying from

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

So just to clear something up for me, is the game out in retailer stores tomorrow or just over digital download with steam?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Its kinda bull**** alright, especially since digital distribution was being touted as a cheaper way for us to get our games. Whats worse is i'd much prefer to get it through Steam, and probably will. Their online service is brilliant.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Stev_o wrote: »
    So just to clear something up for me, is the game out in retailer stores tomorrow or just over digital download with steam?

It unlocks tomorrow evening at 1700 GMT on Steam, but only goes on boxed retail sale on Wednesday. So pay more on Steam and play early, or pay less in store and play a day later.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I have 2 kids who eat DVD's for breakfast, Steam is my gaming catalgoue saviour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Inquitus wrote: »
    I have 2 kids who eat DVD's for breakfast, Steam is my gaming catalgoue saviour!

Well direct2drive.com have it for 37 euro, think with the special forces its still under 50

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Simply because they can.

And saps/idiots/lazy people/ people who don't care for physical copies will always buy it.

Im not sure if i fall into the last category or probably all 4 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Ha ha. Steam. The bane of my existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

For the sake of getting mods working I think a hard copy is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Steam is a fundamentally flawed service. Sure the technology behind it is good and there's the novelty factor there, but the fact is that it's a complete screw-job on the customer. The overheads involved in making a game available for purchase on Steam are minute compared to getting the physical product into a store and yet the prices are routinely more expensive.

There is no point to Steam's existance in that case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

Steam is a fundamentally flawed service. Sure the technology behind it is good and there's the novelty factor there, but the fact is that it's a complete screw-job on the customer. The overheads involved in making a game available for purchase on Steam are minute compared to getting the physical product into a store and yet the prices are routinely more expensive.

There is no point to Steam's existance in that case.

While I agree that the prices on Steam for a lot of products seem to be overpriced. I think Steam does offer more than retail...

For me anyway... I don't want retail copies of anything (unless its a collectors ed or womething different). Too much clutter and I could end up losing/damaging the damn thing or the cd key.

Updates are provided in a no-brainer way.

The whole steam friends, groups, chat etc... is cool.

So if retail was the same price as steam I'd go for steam 9 times out of 10.

But the difference in this case and in DOW II is crazy. I wanted to buy TW on Steam but I purchased my copy with play.com

So is this on sale today ??

Steam today...reatil tomorrow afaik

actually. ANyone know how much this is gonna cost in store ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

anyone tryed getting company of herous? bullcrap 100%

First: asked me to insert a CD....... okay... if i had one.. it is steam yeah?
    second: some media fault now... so i cant even start the damn thing!

And what a rip off!!!

50eu for fear, DoW2, and rest new games, when you can get them in Town for 30eu!

anyone tryed getting company of herous? bullcrap 100%

First: asked me to insert a CD....... okay... if i had one.. it is steam yeah?
    second: some media fault now... so i cant even start the damn thing!

And what a rip off!!!

50eu for fear, DoW2, and rest new games, when you can get them in Town for 30eu!

I bought the COH + expansion off steam and it plays no problem.

Get on steam support. They were pretty good in my experience with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

I have been downloading since 7 it says Updating 18% :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Buy it from retail, you have to register it on Steam anyway.

In times like there the bargains take priority!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I have been downloading since 7 it says Updating 18% :(

Thats because its like 11 gigs. Probably gonna take several hours even at 8 meg speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

has anyone picked it up in game? since DOW is only €30 im curious to see what empire costs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Kirby wrote: »
    Thats because its like 11 gigs. Probably gonna take several hours even at 8 meg speeds.
    It's a monstrous FIFTEEN gigs! It's downloading at about a tenth the speed of normal too. I've been downloading since it was available and I'd say it won't be ready until 10 tonight, and I've a fast connection.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

uglyjohn wrote: »
    has anyone picked it up in game? since DOW is only €30 im curious to see what empire costs...

Special forces edition is €49.99 in game with the extra Deaths Head Hussars as well. Compared to €59.99 on Steam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Spear wrote: »
    Special forces edition is €49.99 in game with the extra Deaths Head Hussars as well. Compared to €59.99 on Steam.

The regular edition is €39.99 in Game Dawson St and the guy who sold it to me threw in the Deaths Head Hussars while he was at it. Didn't ask the price of the special edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Sweet. Just went in to my local Xtravision there and couldn't find it on the shelves. Asked the girl at the counter, she rumaged in the back and came out with a special edition, asked someone else if it was definitely out today, and then charged me 39.99. Score! I hadn't even asked for the SE as I assumed Xtrsvision wouldn't have it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

SE edition is €39.99 in xtravision on Thomas Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I don't get the installation :confused::confused:

I put DVD 1 in, it autostarts, I select "Install", it asks me for the activation key, I type that it, it says Steam activation successfull, then it says "Steam is currently too busy to handle your request, please try later", I click "Ok", then the game appears on my Steam Games list with "Updating: 0%" and it's downloading at 200 - 300 KB/s.

Why is it downloading? Why doesn't it install from the discs?

Maybe it's like the orange box where you download a lot of the content from Steam that isn't included on the discs.
    Downloading much slower than that for me. What's your region setting in Steam..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I had the same problem.
    I told steam to delete all local content, then loaded up the dvd and clicked reinstall. That did the trick. It's now installing on my pc as I type this....

It's a load of crap for the average user mind you. They'll just have to wait.

• Advertisement

Maybe somebody should start a campaign for cheaper digital goods. Most products distributed via digital distribution seem overpriced, considering there should be a significant reduction in the cost of supplying the goods. This probably encourages piracy. Some production companies seem to be campaigning to reduce piracy so this sort of campaign would seem a rasonable response.

Advertisement