Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Site development advice please

• 02-03-2009 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

I have been approached by a mate who's looking to put a website to sell his business' products. He was looking for advice but at the same time very much hinting at me to consider doing it myself. We're looking at a simple enough site - Introduction/home page and 4 product category pages along with the necessary order information gathering pages.

We worked together about five years ago and at the time I was full time working on websites utilising ASP coupled with VB dlls and a SQL server db. These sites were used by our customers (other large corporations who had outsourced the building and shipping of their products to our company) to place their orders in cases where their systems were unable to generate satisfactory order information. As a result I have no problem working with baskets etc. but there was never any payment handling and hosting was handled by an in-house group. My friend would be familiar with the work I was doing back then and seems to have been impressed given that he's hinting that I should give it some thought. Since then I have moved into a company who produce life and pension software. I'm currently still working in VB6 and SQL server(2005) but haven't touched any web stuff for a while.

What language and db would people suggest would be the best for this? I have access to .NET as I've been trying to come to a stage where I could start doing some stuff in ASP.NET. I've also, though it is a while ago, played with a couple of small sites in PHP and mySql. I have absolutely no problem with the potential learning curve on this as I love new stuff and have never had any problems with new languages etc.

I suppose the main thing putting me off attacking this job myself are a lack of time coupled with a lack of knowledge on the payments, hosting and search engine ratings side of things. On the other hand I'm tempted cos I'd like to get back into web development again.

At the very least, even if I don't go for it, I want to be able to offer advice and give a proper review of any quotes etc. (he's asked) from firms he may approach so I am looking to figure out what are the options regarding the acceptance of online payments? I know that paypal is one way to go but is it the best?

Comments

Advertisement