Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best fertilizer spreader - twin disc or wagtail

• 02-03-2009 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭

just wondering what you think is the best fertilizer spreader , also , is a twin disc always better than a wagtail , im told their is a bit of a swing back to the wag tail

personally , i think the best spreader is the bogballe followed by the rauch and while i know wagtails get the job done , i dont like the way they work compared to a twin disc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thetangler

Up to 3 years ago I always had Vicon (wagtail) and had no complaints. Then I bought a Bogabelle, i dont think I would go back to a wagtail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

thetangler wrote: »
    Up to 3 years ago I always had Vicon (wagtail) and had no complaints. Then I bought a Bogabelle, i dont think I would go back to a wagtail.

why , is it simply down to spreading accuracy

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thetangler

Yes i feel the spreading accurracy is better. Maybee its just imagination but i seem to get a far evener grass cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

i always laugh when i see spare wag tail parts in glanbia stores .why are they supplying them you dont see them with spare rauch/bogballe.as one man said to me the disposable manure spreader? i hate spreaders that have a divide at the bottom of the tank which puts manure / grass seeds into one side when it gets low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

leg wax wrote: »
    i always laugh when i see spare wag tail parts in glanbia stores .why are they supplying them you dont see them with spare rauch/bogballe.as one man said to me the disposable manure spreader? i hate spreaders that have a divide at the bottom of the tank which puts manure / grass seeds into one side when it gets low.

its the twin disc which puts manure to one side , the wagtail is all one container

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

irish_bob wrote: »
    its the twin disc which puts manure to one side , the wagtail is all one container

I bought a Cosmo wagtail spreader a few years ago. It holds the big bag and more. Had a single disc Bogballe before that (it was about 15 years old). Notice a considerable difference since I got the wagtail. No more lines. I have used it to spread lime as well (not the granulated type), which it did with no problems (as the manual says it will). It is also great for spreading grass seed with excellent and accurate settings to ensure even coverage.

I spread about 20 ton of fertilizer per year, try to do about 10 acres of reseeding per year which sees me using the spreader to spread the lime or seed and the spreader cost me €1600. Compair that to the equivalent sized Bogballe which at the time would have cost me ver €4000. I just couldn't justify paying the extra money for it for the small amount that I have to spread. After using it for 3 years, I'm glad I didn't buy the Bogballe cause the one I bought does exactly what I need it to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

irish_bob wrote: »
    rauch is one container also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

I have an Amazone twin spinner. It's a Perfekt something or other. When buying it, we priced a Rauch aswell, which was the same price but didn't have the hydraulic shutters. We have only ever had Amazone spreaders on the farm and I would rate them very highly.

Off topic, but has anyone here ever opened the gearbox in one of these? I've an old Amazone ZAF-402 knocking around too, which needs a bit of attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Do Glanbia sell parts for the Vicon spreaders?.I am looking for a PTO and rubber doughnut for the old vicon 5cwt spreader.Or anybody know where I can get secondhand.I am in the Waterford area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭ihatetractors

archer22 wrote: »
    Do Glanbia sell parts for the Vicon spreaders?.I am looking for a PTO and rubber doughnut for the old vicon 5cwt spreader.Or anybody know where I can get secondhand.I am in the Waterford area.

http://www.goldenpages.ie/barron-enniscorthy/, sell vicons anyway
    Amazon zam 2ton, grand job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭mattthetrasher

i used to have a amazone perfect until about 5 years ago i changed it for an abbey wagtail much happier:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

i hate spreaders that have a divide at the bottom of the tank which puts manure / grass seeds into one side when it gets low.
    Handy to let you know if one side spreading faster than the other but other than that cant figure out why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

archer22 wrote: »

They'll be hard to get secondhand - normally the first thing to go in them. Even if you do find a scrapped one, its likely that its well worn. new would be the best option.

Advertisement