Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Instrumental music to study to

Options
  • 02-03-2009 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Am looking for a replacement for my trusted study music, Explosions in the Sky. I usually can't listen to songs and read at once without getting distracted but things without lyrics work really well. I think I've worn out all thei EITS albums and I like Mogwai and Sigur Ros in the same vein but Mogwai are a bit moody and I'd rather something totally without lyrics, even if Sigur Ros' ones dont make sense enough to distract me from reading other words :)

Anyone got any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Lainabaina wrote: »
    Am looking for a replacement for my trusted study music, Explosions in the Sky. I usually can't listen to songs and read at once without getting distracted but things without lyrics work really well. I think I've worn out all thei EITS albums and I like Mogwai and Sigur Ros in the same vein but Mogwai are a bit moody and I'd rather something totally without lyrics, even if Sigur Ros' ones dont make sense enough to distract me from reading other words :)

Anyone got any suggestions?

God is an Astronaut ?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭X-Calibre

Four Tet. Will inspire you to a new level of study :)

http://www.myspace.com/fourtetkieranhebden

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭duckmusic

Try super extra bonus party

be warned though, a lot of their stuff wouldnt be the best study music !:p

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭ClayDavis

I've always like The Jimmy Cake.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Chopin.
    Yann Tiersen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

The Hours movie soundtrack by Philip Glass. Listen to some clips here
    http://www.last.fm/music/Philip+Glass/The+Hours
    and here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4NJjWmDlkM&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

Yndi Halda
    Saxon Shore
    Ulrich Schnauss
    Set Fire To Flames
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭JLemmon

The Brian Eno Ambient Albums, i.e.
    Airports, On Land.
    Philip Jeck - Sand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Lainabaina

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'd forgotten i have some Yann Tiersen, isn't he the Amelie soundtrack guy?

Not sure if I'll be inspired to new levels but I'll def give Four Tet a go on that promise! Makin a list and hitting the torrents :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭whodoo

metal machine music by lou reed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭the hero game

for something quieter, all acoustic instrumentals, check out "turnstyles & junkpiles" by pullman if you can.. the amiina album "kurr" would be ideal too especially since you are into sigur rós..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

travesty that don cab haven't been mentioned yet until now.

Don Caballero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Madou

Have to second the Eno suggestion, especially Apollo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Yeah definitely Don Cab. Battles is also good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Rachel's are good too. Though if you start going through the back catalogues of all these bands you're not going to have much time to study. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Try some Lemon Jelly, Zero 7, Air and Bonobo. All mostly instrumental.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

How about trying a little jazz ? Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue" album would fit the bill perfectly IMO ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

conti wrote: »
    Set Fire To Flames
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Jesus, What sort of madness are you studying?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

ohh i misunderstood the question, i thought the OP was looking for music to study, not music to listen to whilst studying.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Another shout for Eno, especially Apollo and these two along with Harold Budd -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pearl-Harold-Budd-Brian-Eno/dp/B000025JS5/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1236109873&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plateaux-Mirror-Ambient-2/dp/B0002PZVHA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1236109902&sr=1-2

There are endless good ambient recommendations, one other that springs to mind as I was just listening to it today is the latest 'Pop Ambient' Compilation - don't mind the Pop bit, it is completely ambient and of the highest quality...
    This year's Pop Ambient pulls together quite a lineup - Tim Hecker, Sylvain Chauveau, The Fun Years, Klimek, Mint (aka Wolfgang Voigt!), Marsen Jules and Andrew Thomas to name just some of the 12 artists featured. Bringing the compilation to a predictably lovely start is Klimek, whose 'True Enemies & False Friends (Yesteryears Suite)' stitches together orchestral loops in a grandiose fashion reminiscent of Ekkehard Ehlers' epic 'Plays John Cassavetes'. Approaching classical instrumentation without the digital scalpel, Sylvain Chauveau arrives, slotting in beautifully among the likes of Mint, aka Wolfgang Voigt's broodingly atmospheric 'Hindemith' and Marsen Jules' Neil Young-referencing 'It's Only Castles Burning' which is another absolute treasure from this always absorbing artist. The Tim Hecker contribution inevitably turns out to be a highlight, setting off with what sounds like a piano recital caught in a typhoon and evolving into vast, distorted clouds of melodic noise, but the likes of Andrew Thomas, supplying the more purely electronic outings don't disappoint, and 'A Dream Of A Spider' might just be the most immersive thing here. The finest instalment in a while and another beautiful addition to what is already a fine, shimmering series. Highly recommended.
    http://www.boomkat.com/item.cfm?id=160155

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

Try The Penguin Café Orchestra or Chopins Stutgart Diaries

Raindog and sock puppet, ive spent so much time looking up all these bands that I'm getting nothing done!

Some great finds though, I got the eno albums and some super extra bonus party, as well as the hours soundtrack, so far. Had a listen to lots of the other things too. I'll be totally chilled out by the end of the day!:D

Raindog and sock puppet, ive spent so much time looking up all these bands that I'm getting nothing done!

Some great finds though, I got the eno albums and some super extra bonus party, as well as the hours soundtrack, so far. Had a listen to lots of the other things too. I'll be totally chilled out by the end of the day!:D

Just out of curiosity ! I would have thought that any type of music would be a distraction when studying. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

Rigsby wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity ! I would have thought that any type of music would be a distraction when studying. :confused:
    "they" say if your studying to music you may need the same music played to reproduce what you've learned.
    reproduction by association

davylee wrote: »
    "they" say if your studying to music you may need the same music played to reproduce what you've learned.
    reproduction by association

Ok ! I hear ya ! :)

It still puzzels me though, if someone likes heavy metal, how they can hear themselves think, let alone reproduce what they've learned. :p:D How ever "they" could be right. :confused:

Rigsby wrote: »

For me, its just to drown out chatter in the library, peoples accounts of the club last night or fights they had with their fellas or what they're doing later, or even my housemates' rubbish music through the walls!

If I can have something without words in the background, I sort of tune it out and hardly pay attention to it, and that kind of regular noise is much better than someone else's voice every now and then, I find :)

For me, its just to drown out chatter in the library, peoples accounts of the club last night or fights they had with their fellas or what they're doing later, or even my housemates' rubbish music through the walls!

If I can have something without words in the background, I sort of tune it out and hardly pay attention to it, and that kind of regular noise is much better than someone else's voice every now and then, I find :)

Ok. I see what you mean. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Demeyes

If you're going for some heavier stuff, you could try the following

Pelican
    Cult of Luna
    Callisto
    Rosetta

A lot of these bands dont have lyrics or else they have long parts without. It's very similar to the likes of Mogwai but with some heavier moments and buildups. I'd recommend a listen anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kid V

Boards Of Canada
    Some DJ Shadow tracks
    Air
    LCD Soundsystem's '45.33' (Its mostly instrumental)

• Advertisement
Advertisement