Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Cover Up - Advice/ Ideas

Options
  • 02-03-2009 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for ideas for a cover up tattoo. Got a celtic knot/ cross thing 13 years ago when I was young, skinny and hairless. It was too detailed and has blurred badly in the centre and changed shape as I did! In addition it's pretty well hidden by chest hair now.

I'm looking for ideas for something that might cover it. I realise I'll have to go very big but I don't mind that. Either a chest piece or half sleeve coming onto the chest.

Looking for something contemporary. Wouldn't be gone on tribal, koi etc. Fairly open to suggestions though. Also recommended artists. Live in Meath but a Dublin studio would be no problem.

Any input appreciated.

pics attached

Cheers,

Yozz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Hi there,

Best thing to do is narrow down the style of tattoo you'd like. People on here can throw types of styles and various images at you all day but you have to know what you want at the end of the day.
    Head over to www.bmezine.com to help narrow down the style then Google up some images and maybe get into Dublin one day for a nose around the studios and look in Waterstones as they usually have a selection of tattoo books in their photography or fashion section.
    If you're looking for contemporary, when on BMEzine, have a look at the New School section and Biomech, and maybe Neo-American (though that could be under new school).

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭YozzerHughes

Cheers man,

Yeah i was just looking for some general ideas, don't want to come up with something if it'll never work as a cover up of that size. I suppose what I'm asking is how much freedom have I for work over what's there? There is some white space... or am I going to have to go really black and dark in that whole area if I want to cover it?

Y

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 blackbox1

Cheers man,

Yeah i was just looking for some general ideas, don't want to come up with something if it'll never work as a cover up of that size. I suppose what I'm asking is how much freedom have I for work over what's there? There is some white space... or am I going to have to go really black and dark in that whole area if I want to cover it?

Y

There is no point really asking here. You need to go to a few studios for advice. They can give you the correct info on what will suite. They will usually make a tracing of what you have and do a few designs. So you can choose.

Would be an idea to see if they have photos of cover up work on previous clients.

Yeah will go in for chat/ look on Friday.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 blackbox1

Diceicle wrote: »
    Hi there,

Best thing to do is narrow down the style of tattoo you'd like. People on here can throw types of styles and various images at you all day but you have to know what you want at the end of the day.
    Head over to www.bmezine.com to help narrow down the style then Google up some images and maybe get into Dublin one day for a nose around the studios and look in Waterstones as they usually have a selection of tattoo books in their photography or fashion section.
    If you're looking for contemporary, when on BMEzine, have a look at the New School section and Biomech, and maybe Neo-American (though that could be under new school).

No being an a-hole, but new school and neo-traditional don't work great for cover ups. bio-organic or bio- mech work well.

• Advertisement

blackbox1 wrote: »
    No being an a-hole, but new school and neo-traditional don't work great for cover ups. bio-organic or bio- mech work well.

See even this type of advice is good. General styles/ ideas, be it Tribal, long black hair etc that work well. Or examples of cover-ups over similarly large tattoos that people might have seen or have photos of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Hey Yozzer, just a little suggestion. Would you not get it re-done? Just outlined a little better (ie sharper) and then you can think about incorporating this in to a celtic sleeve?

Don't take this the wrong way but it reminds me of that skit of Bill Baileys! :D

Also, www.inkednation.com and www.bodymod.org are Social-Network-ey sites dedicated to mods. You might find something that you like there.

Lol, Yeah I know, even if it was sharp it'll still look fuzzy cause of the fur!!

I could start waxing/ shaving but it'd be like painting the golden gate bridge - get to one end and start back again.

It needs a strong/ bold design that doesn't have fine detail that'll be lost. Or at least not detailed in that area. If it comes out to a half sleeve and is detailed on the shoulder/ arm that's fine.

Ho hum. Will just go into a few studios for a chat and kick around a few more sites for ideas.

Cheers for the links dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 *dolly*

if you are going to head to a studio, gimme a shout yozz, ill go with you. presume you're gonna head to dublin?
    i really need to be doing that myself
    mojo was on about some place in dundalk that im going to have a look at this week maybe.

Sure thing Dollface. Can you swing a day/ half day off work over the next couple of weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 *dolly*

yeah i reckon so... its never really a problem.
    sure let me know anyway.

Lads,

Anyone recommend an artist I could talk to about the possibility of something like the images below as a cover up for the existing. Thinking the wings might work well as a cover. Would want it closer in style to the second one, though more "masculine" if you like.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theoceanwar/3308067843/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/goregoregalore/2345359381/

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

In the first one the wing colours are too light to cover what you have done, the second one, with a little more "aggresive" styling could work well alright

Yeah I like the look of the second one, perhaps even a little more stylized. Thinking dark, dark feathers on the main part of the wings should cover the exsiting well and some bright colour on their tips and on the body/ head of the piece. Maybe clutching a heart or something...

Anyway, rambling on. Any recommendations on an artist? Either here or UK, don't mind traveling for the right artist if I have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

http://owltattoos.blogspot.com/

Maybe Jani in Zulu, Wojt in Wildcat or one of the guys in Colourworks. Frith Street in Soho London., or skunxtattoo london.

Nice one, that's great. Cheers for all the advice/links.

Advertisement