Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep is inconsistant...

Options
  • 02-03-2009 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭

Ill give you some background, i dont what sort of info is useful, but im 19, male, healthy, active

Im a student, and because of classes starting at different times, i wake up anywhere from 6.30-11.30, so i have got any sort of consistancy

It also takes me a long time to get to sleep, i seem to just start thinking of stuff lying in bed, and then when i wake up, i mightnt get out of bed for 2 hours, unless i have some reason to

I have taken some measures to combat this, such as cutting out caffeine at night, and not using my laptop in bed, but i was just wondering if there are any good techniques to get me sleeping quicker, and to get me out of bed in the morning

thanks,

edit: forgot to mention, i always try and get at least 7 hours sleep, sometimes up to 10

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Sounds like it might be stress??? Usually this explains thinking alot and not being able to unwind, would also explain the groggy feeling in morning as stress effects the quality of sleep. Maybe try some realxing activities? Being a 19 yr old male not sure how interested you'd be in meditation but it could help???;)

If not maybe try writing down all that you find yourself thinking about while trying to go asleep, find that resolve situations much quicker when they out of the head!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

You need to cut out caffeine pretty early - I try not to drink any after 3pm or so.

Have you tried the classics? More exercise, healthier eating? Sunlight is important as well, and although living in Ireland is obviously not great in this department, making sure you get as much natural (even overcast) light might help. Sit near windows where possible, eat lunch outside if it's not rainy, etc.
    podge57 wrote: »
    when i wake up, i mightnt get out of bed for 2 hours, unless i have some reason to

You should cut this out pronto, it's not good. There's nothing wrong with a little lie-in on a day off, but 2 hours is overdoing it. If you get used to this, it just makes it more difficult to get out of bed on the days that you do have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭podge57

sambuka41 wrote: »
    Sounds like it might be stress??? Usually this explains thinking alot and not being able to unwind, would also explain the groggy feeling in morning as stress effects the quality of sleep. Maybe try some realxing activities? Being a 19 yr old male not sure how interested you'd be in meditation but it could help???;)

If not maybe try writing down all that you find yourself thinking about while trying to go asleep, find that resolve situations much quicker when they out of the head!!

I have actually tried some meditation before, but i tend to just start thinking about things, and cant really focus
    i will try writing things down for a while to try and get them out of my head
    FruitLover wrote: »
    You need to cut out caffeine pretty early - I try not to drink any after 3pm or so.

Have you tried the classics? More exercise, healthier eating? Sunlight is important as well, and although living in Ireland is obviously not great in this department, making sure you get as much natural (even overcast) light might help. Sit near windows where possible, eat lunch outside if it's not rainy, etc.

I exercise a lot, and my diet is good too, so i doubt that is affecting me
    i do need more fresh air / light though, i will make more of an effort from now on

You should cut this out pronto, it's not good. There's nothing wrong with a little lie-in on a day off, but 2 hours is overdoing it. If you get used to this, it just makes it more difficult to get out of bed on the days that you do have to.

yeah, i realise this is pretty bad, maybe i should schedule some study or something in the morning to make me get up, i tend to stick to a schedule when i have one

thanks again!

Advertisement